PDA

View Full Version : Fold up dunnies

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 12:11 PM
Our knees are not what they used to be making squatting more difficult than we'd prefer. Consequently we are looking at buying a folding portable toilet for our future long term travelling. Portapotti types are no good because we don't have the space to store one. Likewise the 'fold out thunderbox' type & bucket type won't easily fit our available space.

This leaves the fold up 'seat on a frame' type, used in conjunction with a hole dug in the ground, or compostable bags where this is not possible. (We already have a pop up shower/dunny tent).

My Internet research has turned up the following options:
http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Portable-Camp-Toilet.html#technical

http://www.abetterwaytogo.com.au/products/camping-toilet-separett-resuce.aspx?lv.crumb=16939

http://www.biobaganz.com/fully-compostable-biodegradable-bags-films/all-biodegradable-and-compostable-products/biotoilet

The problem with the latter two is that the bag size means probably having to buy the bags from the seat manufacturer, which if used regularly makes for expensive crapping.

Using the first, cheaper type, seat, there are a greater variety of cheaper bags available to fit. Eg.
http://www.biobaganz.com/fully-compostable-biodegradable-bags-films/bin-liners-and-bags/30-litre-roll-of-25-fully-compostable-bags

In our travelling (bus) experience, we mostly either camped where there were toilets available, dug holes & burned paper, or when we had to.... used our porta potti. We expect to do much the same with our camper. The one difference is that we will need an alternative means of carrying our crap with us until it can be properly disposed of. Having bags clearly marked as compostable will be helpful in preventing us being accosted by toilet nazis when dumping them in long drops etc. A bag like AB sells would be useful for holding said compostable bag(s) but with our fold down style spare wheel holders I think the 'wheel bag' would quickly get a hole worn in it's back, so we need to find an alternative.

Ok a couple of questions.......
Has anyone used one of the first type of toilet seat/frame - are they suitable for regular use? Any other alternatives that others have used?

Wheel bags - anyone know of anywhere a custom bag can be bought which would make allowance for my wheel carrier style? How about it AB?

Regards
Cuppa

macca
18th November 2012, 12:54 PM
Cuppa we have used a jimmys thunderbox folds flat and easy to use.

Dig a deep hole and sit toot over it and put a biodegradeable garbage bag, with the bottom cut open so its a big tube, over the sides on the inside and down the hole.

When packing up let the bag fall into the hole and bury the lot.

My Dad is over 80 and has no troubles using this.

Setting up on sand requires some sticks across the corners as it can sink if the sand is soft.

Great value, really easy and clean to use.

http://2daloo.com/

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks Macca.
Digging a hole isn't always possible or desirable when travelling. Sometimes the ground is too hard, sometimes the camp spot is one where many others use a relatively small area. Thus the need to sometimes 'carry out'. Main reason for not considering the thunderbox style is to keep the weight down ( they are double the weight of the other fold up seat types). Would also prefer not to have to use a bag when just digging a hole.

Cuppa

threedogs
18th November 2012, 01:35 PM
Use that fold out seat, but you still need to carry your waste out or wait for a suitable spot to bury, sturdy enough, lightweight

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2012, 02:08 PM
We used to use a fold out dunny seat at camp for our first camp trip anyway, WD good for the first week, but then a terrible, terrible thing happened to me. The seat had given way whilst I was having a borry, let me just say "I WAS NOT IMPRESSED".

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Woof
18th November 2012, 05:26 PM
Hey Cuppa, check this one out mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8306-AB-s-new-craptastic-2000-Bush-Toilet

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Hey Cuppa, check this one out mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8306-AB-s-new-craptastic-2000-Bush-Toilet

That looks the business to do the business! AB is a lucky man.

Cuppa

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 05:59 PM
We used to use a fold out dunny seat at camp for our first camp trip anyway, WD good for the first week, but then a terrible, terrible thing happened to me. The seat had given way whilst I was having a borry, let me just say "I WAS NOT IMPRESSED".

Serious question MM ......... How much did you weigh when that terrible thing happened. Maybe it wouldn't happen to us at under 70kg each???

Cuppa

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 06:05 PM
Use that fold out seat, but you still need to carry your waste out or wait for a suitable spot to bury, sturdy enough, lightweight

Hi TD,
Next door neighbor tells me that the disposals shop in town have the cheapies. Have to go into town tomorrow so will have a look & assess their strength. I'm hoping someone might be able to make me a wheel bag with a section cut out of the lower half so that it sits either side of the vertical 'strut' onto which the wheel is bolted.

AB .... Do you make the bags as well as selling them? If so can you make a customised one?

Cuppa

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2012, 08:08 PM
Serious question MM ......... How much did you weigh when that terrible thing happened. Maybe it wouldn't happen to us at under 70kg each???

Cuppa

I am only a wee little tracker, only standing 194cm 115kg.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

Cuppa
19th November 2012, 05:49 PM
Well being of partial Scottish origin & a wee'er tacker than MM by quite a long shot (both puns intended :toot:) I bought one of the folding $30 specials today & ordered a couple of rolls of 'Bio Bags'. I reckon the designer must've had a small arse & assumed that everyone else does too. If it doesn't suit I reckon I'll make my own, but it'd end up being heavier for sure.

Thanks for all the advice on such a crap topic.

Cuppa

Woof
20th November 2012, 02:42 AM
Well being of partial Scottish origin & a wee'er tacker than MM by quite a long shot (both puns intended :toot:) I bought one of the folding $30 specials today & ordered a couple of rolls of 'Bio Bags'. I reckon the designer must've had a small arse & assumed that everyone else does too. If it doesn't suit I reckon I'll make my own, but it'd end up being heavier for sure.

Thanks for all the advice on such a crap topic.

Cuppa

Hey Cuppa, it may be a crap topic mate but a few of our members thrive on that......you only have to read some of their posts, especially the ones with the high posts count....roflmao

Cuppa
20th November 2012, 10:56 AM
Hey Doggie,
At least if they get it out here it means that they are no longer quite so full of sh*t. ;-)

Could all just be hot air though.

Cuppa