PDA

View Full Version : Snorkels, worth it for the UK?

fracster
18th November 2012, 04:06 AM
Been pondering whether to get one or not. I have read up about them on here and it seems that they are good for dusty conditions or crossing deepish water. Living in the cold,damp and generally miserable UK,plus the fact that I don`t really cross deep water, is it worth getting one for any other reason?

Another quick question, when driving in the rain, do the snorkels not suck the rain into the engine?

Sorry if they are daft questions.

Diesel-Mate
18th November 2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah go for it, they look awsome and also keep the engine cooler when on highways

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715a using Tapatalk 2

Bigrig
18th November 2012, 11:19 AM
Most snorkels (reputable brands) have a small water drain channel in built mate, so whilst some spray might get sucked in, the vast volume gets disposed of - the rest is usually caught in the air box.

They allow cooler air (and usually more of it) to enter the engine when at speed, sometimes giving slightly better economy, but certainly allowing the engine to 'breath' better overall ...

Cuppa
18th November 2012, 12:58 PM
I doubt there would be much point in the uk apart from visual posing purposes, unless you did decide to drive through water.

Cuppa
(Ex Pom)

growler2058
18th November 2012, 01:16 PM
You will pick up cleaner air (can only be a good thing) standard air intake is prone to picking up road grime etc.

taslucas
18th November 2012, 01:46 PM
yeah as said above, you will get a bit cleaner air through a snorkel and there is a slight ram air effect. They are not only good for deep water crossings but also for any water splashing from puddles etc.

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2012, 02:02 PM
And look good too

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

fracster
18th November 2012, 08:04 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

I`ll add it to the list then.

Are the Safari ones the best or are the copies just as efficient?

growler2058
18th November 2012, 08:07 PM
To the best of my knowledge Yes they are better than the copies or you could go the homemade stainless job, cheap and looks shithot 2