PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo identification

PMC
17th November 2012, 11:16 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

Found the following info below regarding Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo identification from the US. I thought you folks might be interested!

Regards,

RLI

How to Identify the Mitsubishi Turbo Serial Number

By Garrett Genet, e-How Contributor

Identifying the serial number of your Mitsubishi turbo TD05 is straightforward; you need to carefully examine the engine under your hood. The serial number is clearly printed on the compressor itself, or a metal tablet welded onto the compressor. It's clearly labelled and easily identified. A serial number uniquely identifies your genuine Mitsubishi TD05 turbo, so should you ever need to replace it or have any work done otherwise, it becomes a reference you can effectively use.

Instructions

Find the model and part numbers cast onto the compressor cover. The compressor cover is the main housing, which resembles a hair dryer. The compressor wheel is located in the centre of the compressor housing. On each side of the compressor housing, surrounding the wheel, are the model code and part numbers.

Identify the compressor housing model number. On genuine Mitsubishi TD05 16G turbochargers, "TD05" is cast onto the compressor housing in raised print. The compressor model number normally contains further designation, such as "TD05H," which is also a wheel designation, however, the "TD05" designation is required of all genuine MHI TD05 16G turbochargers.

Locate the MHI TD05 16G compressor housing part number. On the compressor housing, opposite the model number, is a ten-digit part number. All genuine MHI TD05 16G turbochargers begin with the prefix "49178," followed by the two digits, "01." These positions are cast in raised digits, while the remaining three positions, or suffix, is hand stamped onto the compressor housing. The suffix determines the specific 16G model.

Determine the MHI 16G turbocharger model. The hand-stamped suffix for the different MHI 16G models are the following: "420" and "412" identify the big 16G turbo, "450" identifies the EVO I big 16G, "460" for the EVO II big 16G, "470," identifies the EVO III 16G, while "520" identifies the small 16G.

nissannewby
17th November 2012, 11:25 PM
This adds to my curiosity about the turbo I have purchased. I am happy with how it performs so am ok with what I have paid for it and whats done is done. I wasnt able to find any info regarding MHI and anything larger than a 16g. Looking at the turbo I have its exactly as what you have been described by old mate in NZ the only difference being is the turbine hoising has been machined out. I am still yet to see anything about the cheaper jobs failing.

PMC
11th July 2013, 02:54 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

I am really curious if folks are getting value for money from turbo's that they purchase. Like all branding at present, are you actually getting a better product for your dollar? Are they there similar products being sold cheaper from the same turbo manufacture? Buyer beware i say at present.

PS, stay tuned, I will report further about this matter soon!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
11th July 2013, 06:37 PM
Bump!

Regards all forum members! lol

RLI

Ben-e-boy
11th July 2013, 07:01 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

I am really curious if folks are getting value for money from turbo's that they purchase. Like all branding at present, are you actually getting a better product for your dollar? Are they there similar products being sold cheaper from the same turbo manufacture? Buyer beware i say at present.

PS, stay tuned, I will report further about this matter soon!

Regards,

RLI

I will be able to update soon I am heading to brissy to pick my new GTX3071r from MTQ. I have ordered a wastegate and a different turbine housing from the states which should be here monday only ordered it at the start of the week too. Which brings me to my next point. I ordered a turbo from ufi in march and was told a week. They wouldn' t return calls and mid june i get a call saying they were about to start. So I said dont bother and went for a garrett instead.

nissannewby
11th July 2013, 07:10 PM
I will be able to update soon I am heading to brissy to pick my new GTX3071r from MTQ. I have ordered a wastegate and a different turbine housing from the states which should be here monday only ordered it at the start of the week too. Which brings me to my next point. I ordered a turbo from ufi in march and was told a week. They wouldn' t return calls and mid june i get a call saying they were about to start. So I said dont bother and went for a garrett instead.

Which will net us some awesome results :)

PMC
14th July 2013, 08:00 PM
Which will net us some awesome results :)

G'evening mate,

Question: where can i source a dump pipe to fit my new turbo?

Regards,

RLI

Bambill
22nd July 2013, 09:52 AM
Matt I can tell you that, the turbine housing on your turbo is made for the supplier of your turbo and cannot be brought elsewhere.
And there are other internal differences between say your turbo and a Kinugawa version of the same thing. A bit like my turbo, allthough it is a garrett GT2871 it is not like any other 2871.

As for one thing looking like the other, yes that is most likely the case. Closer inspection though may reveal weight differences between internal components and slight profile differences. Materials may also be slightly different. While SUPPLIED by OEM manufactures this does not mean they are the same as OEM equipment.

Ben, will be interesting to see how the GTX3071 goes. I am not a fan of the full blade style compressor wheels, and especially the one you have chosen with its larger compressor wheel trim. The larger trim just hurts response, and along with the reduced efficiency of the of the lower blade count of the GTX type wheel in the lower boost region I have not seen any results for them that impress me. I do have a full blade style GTX compressor wheel here in 56 trim, it will just end up a paper weight. Smaller inducer sizes with a more open inducer like with conventional type split height compressor blades with a higher total blade count are much better suited to our application in my view.
I have had a compressor wheel built for my next turbo which is different again, we will see how it performs. But all with the idea to get everything happening a little sooner which the GTX compressor wheels don't do well.

Marty

nissannewby
22nd July 2013, 11:41 AM
Matt I can tell you that, the turbine housing on your turbo is made for the supplier of your turbo and cannot be brought elsewhere.
And there are other internal differences between say your turbo and a Kinugawa version of the same thing. A bit like my turbo, allthough it is a garrett GT2871 it is not like any other 2871.

Marty

The comment you referred to was made a while ago. I have since found on my quest for knowledge more about the turbos and their modifications. I even emailed MHI direct. The turbo I have works really well and I don't have any dramas with it, its a good product. Hopefully I have worded this correctly this time aye.

PMC
26th July 2013, 12:30 PM

G'day Ben-e-boy,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with UFI!

PS, i will be heading down the Garrett path myself next, after speaking with OldMav on the Patrol4x4 forum i am looking for another challenge!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
26th July 2013, 12:37 PM

As for one thing looking like the other, yes that is most likely the case. Closer inspection though may reveal weight differences between internal components and slight profile differences. Materials may also be slightly different. While SUPPLIED by OEM manufactures this does not mean they are the same as OEM equipment.

Ben, will be interesting to see how the GTX3071 goes. I am not a fan of the full blade style compressor wheels, and especially the one you have chosen with its larger compressor wheel trim. The larger trim just hurts response, and along with the reduced efficiency of the of the lower blade count of the GTX type wheel in the lower boost region I have not seen any results for them that impress me. I do have a full blade style GTX compressor wheel here in 56 trim, it will just end up a paper weight. Smaller inducer sizes with a more open inducer like with conventional type split height compressor blades with a higher total blade count are much better suited to our application in my view.
I have had a compressor wheel built for my next turbo which is different again, we will see how it performs. But all with the idea to get everything happening a little sooner which the GTX compressor wheels don't do well.

Marty

G'day Marty,

So true regarding the Kinugawa 18G, I had to extensively mod this turbo, the waste gate port was 20mm and i ported it out to 27mm. One thing that i was impressed with was the balance of this turbo, when you spin the turbine on this, it takes about 10 seconds for it to stop. I am impressed with the balance!

Regards,

Paul

PMC
26th July 2013, 11:58 PM
G'day folks,

See below latest intel from Japan regarding further mods!

Regards,

RLI

Sent: Friday, 26 July 2013 11:15 PM
To: 'Paul McTernan'
Subject: RE: TD05 18G

Hi Paul

Port the waste gate and Port the turbine housing and compressor housing inner to make it smoother will work.

Anyway, just let me know if there is anymore we can help you with.

Regards

Eiji Takada

Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 11:16 AM
To: 'Kando_dynamic'
Subject: RE: TD05 18G

G’day Eiji

I am looking at increasing the power output from the TDO5 18G Kinugawa turbo that I purchased from you. I was looking at porting the waste-gate port and possibly polishing the internal part of the exhaust housing. What you think? Also do you have any further possible tips to increase power from the 18G turbo’s?

Regards,

Paul McTernan