PDA

View Full Version : What size bolts for spare wheel carrier on a 98 GU?

cyanobacteria
16th November 2010, 02:26 PM
Just bought a 1998 GU, and the spare wheel carrier on the back doesn't have any bolts. Any ideas what bolt size these take? Or are they just wheel nuts? Cheers

the ferret
16th November 2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Mate, they are M10 fine, but they are a special shape as they have the the dome to fit the alloy wheel.I made my own as the genuine ones are a bit short. drill the gutz out of three wheel nuts and put them on a M10 hi tensile set screw and weld them on, or buy new.

cyanobacteria
16th November 2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Mate, they are M10 fine, but they are a special shape as they have the the dome to fit the alloy wheel.I made my own as the genuine ones are a bit short. drill the gutz out of three wheel nuts and put them on a M10 hi tensile set screw and weld them on, or buy new.

Thanks mate. Welding skills aren't up to scratch, will take a closer look later tonight, should have a few spare M10's knocking about. Do they need to be anything special or any old M10's from a thread shop?

the ferret
16th November 2010, 06:01 PM
Grade 8 at least, mine are 10.8, yeah from a bolt shop.

cyanobacteria
17th November 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Ferret, thanks for all your help. Just managed to track down M10 10.9 in black from an online store. What sort of length does it need? 100mm is the max they sell, and i'm guessing as it bolts into the carrier max length shouldn't matter so much, but is this long enough for minimum length?

the ferret
17th November 2010, 01:26 PM
About 100mm long then drill some long wheel nuts right through, poke the bolt through and weld the head to the nut, you will need about 50mm of thread showing, use Nissan wheel nuts, that way the same wheel spanner will fit them, I could make them for you if you are around Perth, could even post em if you're no good at welding as you say.