PDA

View Full Version : EPIRBs and PLBs

lorrieandjas
15th November 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi All,

Been a few threads lately about safety in the outback and tips and equipment necessary for emergency situations. Done a fair bit of in- and off-shore sailing and skippered a fair few regattas so had to learn a lot about EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) and PLBs (Personal Locating Beacons) so thought would drop some info on what they are, how they work, etc.

EPIRBs are mandatory for boaties heading more than 2NM outside of calm or near-calm waters. They operate on the 406MHz digital frequency. Previously they operated on the 121.5Mhz frequency however this has been stopped and people who have older EPIRBs that operate on this frequency should buy a new one. The Australian Maritime Safety Authority monitors the 406MHz frequency as well as a network of non-geostationary satellites which operate similar to GPS to triangulate the signal and locate the beacon. Each beacon has its own unique identifier and you should register your EPIRB with AMSA as they can then correlate the owner with the particular device in question. In addition PLBs should also be registered with AMSA and registration is required to be updated for EPIRBs and PLBs every two years.

Registration is free and can be done online at http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/registration.html

If commercial or recreational pilots hear a signal on 121.5 or 406MHz they will also relay this to the authorities who will co-ordinate SAR operations which should have already been commenced on activation of the signal.

PLBs differ slightly in they are smaller, do not conform to the same standards as required by EPIRBs (such as having to float with antenna clear of the water). PLBs must have a battery life of 24 hours, EPIRBs of 48 hours. In addition all EPIRBs and PLBs must conform with Australia/New Zealand Standard 4280.1.

What's the difference between a PLB with and without a GPS? Basically the GPS makes locating the device more accurate. Without a GPS the accuracy is to about 5km. With a GPS the accuracy is improved to about 120m. That's a fair difference - and particularly on the sea where the difference in the accuracy could mean the difference between being found in time, or.......

Now - all that said, an EPIRB/PLB is not a replacement for a HF radio or Sat Phone. These should be carried in my opinion and the EPIRB/PLB used as an absolute last resort - but that said if in doubt better to be safe than sorry. A lot of time if you ever are in an emergency and in touch with SAR they may tell you to activate your beacon to assist in locating you.

EPIRB/PLBs should be used only once, and if I recall correctly replaced every three years. They also have a test feature built into them which should be used before every outing to ensure they are operating. They shouldn't be tossed in bins or left idle because if set off inadvertently a lot of resources are wasted which could have been saving someone else.

Also - if you have one and don't know how to use it don't wait until you need to use it to read the manual or try and figure it out. They are pretty simple to use, but in a time of panic strange things happen!

It's a long post already so won't go into minimum water rations, other emergency gear, etc. That can come in another post. Also, a lot of this information is already on the web but thought I would consolidate it and also add my own experiences of it. I have had to use an EPIRB on the water once - and it saved about 20 people. A decent PLB will cost you about $400 with a GPS.

Sorry for the ramble but thought this might help someone out - and if anyone notices anything I've said in error shout it out and I will amend. :)

Please note the definitive source of information on EPIRBs and PLBs can be found at:

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/index.html

Jas

threedogs
15th November 2012, 04:36 PM
If it saves one one life this post has done its job, more the one even better IMO

89gqpatrol4x4
15th November 2012, 05:12 PM
nice thread lorrie, great info!

Maxhead
15th November 2012, 06:24 PM
Great info mate, thanks for that

AB
15th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Nice info mate, well done!

NissanGQ4.2
15th November 2012, 09:20 PM
Great thread mate,

I know they have free PLB's near my area for bushwalkers, I assume this service would apply to 4wd outings

Just found this on the net, not sure if other states offer the free service.

Epirbhire sell / hire EPIRBs, PLBs, Sat Phones etc http://www.epirbhire.com.au/

boots
15th November 2012, 09:30 PM
The new PLB 's are registered to the rescue headquarters in Canberra . You have to provide your details and the serial number of the unit that you have . So they know who or what they are dealing with .Has to be renewed every couple of years just for conformation too .

lorrieandjas
16th November 2012, 09:41 AM
The new PLB 's are registered to the rescue headquarters in Canberra . You have to provide your details and the serial number of the unit that you have . So they know who or what they are dealing with .Has to be renewed every couple of years just for conformation too .

Thanks boots - I'l update the top post with that info.

lorrieandjas
16th November 2012, 09:47 AM
If it saves one one life this post has done its job, more the one even better IMO

Hi threedogs - I hope so - I'd hate to think people still travel into remote areas of this country without a clue or proper planning - but as we all know it happens......

threedogs
16th November 2012, 11:00 AM
This thread in combo with "death in outback" needs to be combined.
Or at least a few tips on what to do and what to take' and when to use them .
and not press your epirb as you have a splinter, this needs to be thought out the correct info put down that can be printed off in one page
and ticked off like a check list. times to go. times to travel permits required, water, etc .if you cant tick all the boxes don't go.
I'even have a mirror with the sighting hole in the middle off an aircraft, a simply survival list and things to take water purafication tabs the lot. as I said It'll take a few heads a few beers and a few nights to get this right, THERE CAN BE NO MISTAKES WHATS SO EVER, might even need p&wl or dnre and nat parks to come up with basics for different areas, this will be no small undertaking and only the best in their field contacted

lorrieandjas
16th November 2012, 11:43 AM
Hi threedogs - I'll PM you - had some similar ideas along those lines so might send you a draft outline to see what you think.

threedogs
16th November 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks but no good sending me stuff I'm hopeless with pooters, I've been living and 4x4ing from Tom Price to Simmo and Rock when allowed to camp at base, been outback from 70s, been camping all my life with my folks. been around this great country 16 times before I was 21 working, playing footy etc. Worked on the new Khan in the early 80s. love the outback. did the cape with some mates in '83.,Have done the corners except surveyor generals, Still here never had a scare so must be doing some, thing right Got the best country in the world just need to treat her with respect, and swat some flies along the way. I do however have contacts who may be able to contribrute. OUTBACK FOR DUMMIES works for me

NP99
15th February 2013, 07:07 PM
I dual registered mine with the boat 1st and patrol 2nd. They are getting cheaper all the time.

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks to NP99 (who I have now confused with Roofy several times because of the same avatar) for bringing this thread to the top. An emergency beacon is definitely on our 'to get' list. lorrieandjas' post raises several questions for me which I am hopeful might be answered.

I had intended to get a PLB, but the double transmitting time of the epirbs sounds potentially attractive at the cost of a slightly bigger beacon to carry. Are the epirbs very much bigger? We would want to use it whilst walking as well as driving. In reality is the extra 24 hours transmission time likely to make any difference for land based use. I would hope if we ever had need to use it, that we we would be found within a day, or at least our position ascertained.

Regarding the need to change beacons every 3 years. The following is from the GME website (Other manufactures may differ).
GME Emergency Beacons employ some of the latest materials and technologies making a 12 year useful life* achievable in the case of a correctly maintained beacon.
In fulfilling a duty of care to its customers, products that are over 12 years old will not be serviced by GME or any of it's agents.
GME emergency beacons are required to be serviced at intervals not exceeding 6 years for EPIRBs and 7 years for PLBs, products that are not serviced within this period may not perform to specification when needed.

I note the advice that an emergency beacon is no replacement for an HF radio or satellite phone, but HF radio is an enthusiasts tool which requires skills, which may never be utilised, to be learned & remembered (isn't it?). Satellite phone is easier but is expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the SPOT system (http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102) & whether it offers a cost effective alternative to carrying an emergency beacon AND another means of communication? Would anyone recommend carrying a SPOT thingy only?

Cuppa

Lux85
9th April 2013, 10:11 PM
thanks, good info, cleared up some questions i had

Cuppa
10th April 2013, 07:09 PM
A travelling mate showed me his 'InReach' satellite tracker & communicator last weekend. It would appear to be a cross between a PLB/EPIRB & a satellite phone. It's pricing seems to make it competitive.

Basically it gives the user a GPS assisted SOS function, accurate to within 5 metres, plus it allows the user to send text messages using a smart phone or 'tablet' as a keyboard input device, plus when an SOS is sent, a text message confirming it has been received is sent back to the user & details of the emergency can be sent. The device can also leave a 'breadcrumb trail' which anyone given access can check online at any time.

Our friends are very happy with theirs, they have elderly infirm parents, & having this device allows other family members to know where they are & to contact them if needed.

http://www.gpstrackingaustralia.com.au/inreach.html#

Cuppa

gaddy
10th April 2013, 08:55 PM
Epirb all the way as soon as it is activated it sends a signal to AMSA ( aust maritime safety authority ) and they are looking for you straight away any aircraft etc in the area are notifed if you are in deep doo doo the quicker the better . Has all the vehicle / boat details eg size brand color rego etc , and if you take it from the boat to the car you are to change your details on the web site

Gaddy

BigRAWesty
11th April 2013, 06:13 AM
Top write up Jas, good info. I'm with cuppa, its on the to biy list before trecking off..

But am awaiting some answers to cuppas questions

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

lorrieandjas
11th April 2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks to NP99 (who I have now confused with Roofy several times because of the same avatar) for bringing this thread to the top. An emergency beacon is definitely on our 'to get' list. lorrieandjas' post raises several questions for me which I am hopeful might be answered.

I had intended to get a PLB, but the double transmitting time of the epirbs sounds potentially attractive at the cost of a slightly bigger beacon to carry. Are the epirbs very much bigger? We would want to use it whilst walking as well as driving. In reality is the extra 24 hours transmission time likely to make any difference for land based use. I would hope if we ever had need to use it, that we we would be found within a day, or at least our position ascertained.

Regarding the need to change beacons every 3 years. The following is from the GME website (Other manufactures may differ).
GME Emergency Beacons employ some of the latest materials and technologies making a 12 year useful life* achievable in the case of a correctly maintained beacon.
In fulfilling a duty of care to its customers, products that are over 12 years old will not be serviced by GME or any of it's agents.
GME emergency beacons are required to be serviced at intervals not exceeding 6 years for EPIRBs and 7 years for PLBs, products that are not serviced within this period may not perform to specification when needed.

I note the advice that an emergency beacon is no replacement for an HF radio or satellite phone, but HF radio is an enthusiasts tool which requires skills, which may never be utilised, to be learned & remembered (isn't it?). Satellite phone is easier but is expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the SPOT system (http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102) & whether it offers a cost effective alternative to carrying an emergency beacon AND another means of communication? Would anyone recommend carrying a SPOT thingy only?

Cuppa

Hi Cuppa - EPIRBS are not big at all. All light aircraft now carry portable EPIRBS rather than built-in ones. Cheaper to replace and about the size of a rectangular stubby holder (best analogy I can come up with!).

Jas

gaddy
11th April 2013, 07:10 PM
the size the GME about 240mm with the antanna folded