PDA

View Full Version : Body lift over a lift kit for tyre clearance

Goochness
15th November 2012, 03:34 AM
Hey guys there probably is a post about this Somwhere but unfortunetly the site Dosnt work to well using an iPhone.
After a recent trip involving some mud play its come to my attention that I need to get my diffs higher, so I'm going to get some 33's ( most likely Micky tompsons baja ATZ for an all rounder)

My question is, will they fit under a standered hight gq LWB or do I need to lift it?
2" Lift kits iv seen are about $750 odd, so that plus tyres would make the female boss quite upset, could I go a 2" body lift ( bout $100 odd) and still have the clearance?

This truck is my daily driver, tow vehicle for my skyline, and a camping vehicle

my third 256
15th November 2012, 04:15 AM
a bit more involved than what you think have a read of this thread
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10314-body-lift-for-gq-wagon

Goochness
15th November 2012, 04:58 AM
Cheers mate, iv done a bit of reading on the subject, and what I need to modifiy, but nothing on the clearance issue, iv been told 33s will scrub on full lock if its the truck hasn't been lifted at all

my third 256
15th November 2012, 06:13 AM
ok more info for you toread but read it all
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8830-im-getting-33inch-cooper-st-on-my-standed-GQ-patrol-will-they-fit

taslucas
15th November 2012, 07:31 AM
33" tyres and a 2" suspension lift would be a great starting place. With that set up you can get most places. If you keep it to a 2" lift then you wont have to modify much else.
Body lifts are cool but if you're starting to play off road then i reckon a (minimum) 2" suspension lift is necessary.

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2012, 08:08 AM
Your already stating that you are using it of road and as a Tow vehicle. You NEED upgraded suspension for that mate. A Body Lift might be acceptable if you already have a 2" lift of good quality and just want to go a little higher but if your driving around in your daily driver, using it as a Vehicle Tow car, Camping and Off road work then its a No Brainer mate. Suspension is where its at.

threedogs
15th November 2012, 08:26 AM
IMO I'd go 2" body and 2" coil . you wont gain that much diff clearance no matter what you do other than Portal hubs. Pick your lines better.
as the other have said you'll go most places with 2" body and 2" coil ,diff lock wouldn't hurt if funds are there, amazing piece of kit

EG, you air down your 33"s to go off road how much have you gained?????
2nd eg measure bottom of diff with 265 tyres on then measure again with 33"s on

Goochness
15th November 2012, 03:34 PM
Allright thanks for the quick advice guys, that 2nd thread helped, ill probably get the iron man 50mm foam performance lift kit, it was about 850 but should improve ride quality, towing ability, and offload applications. Ill make sure I do before and after shots.
I usualy do pick my lines, but unfortunetly i got stuck in a rut left by the big boys, back end slid in.
I figured if I can get stuck in there tracks, why beat them when I could join em

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2012, 06:25 PM
unless they are on 35s or 37s then your screwed ;)

Goochness
15th November 2012, 07:37 PM
unless they are on 35s or 37s then your screwed ;)

Then I'd have to sell my left nut to pay for it all lol

Drewboyaus
15th November 2012, 10:34 PM
Don't waste your money on 35's or 37's. As others have said you can get everywhere on 33's with a 2 inch lift...just takes a little more skill rather than brute force (which can wreck the tracks).....especially if you have some good muddies (eg: km2's).
I run 33" bfg km2's with no lockers on my gq and it will go pretty much anywhere I ask it....with ease.....at the right tyre pressure.
Suspension and tyres are the best mods you can make, most other mods are just fruit salad......except a locker in the wet.....around Walhalla!
Cheers,
Drew

Drewboyaus
15th November 2012, 10:47 PM
Tip the $$ you save not going to 35's in to lockers and you'll be laughing.

johno90
17th November 2012, 09:42 PM
ive got 3" suspension with 2" body rolling 35" and i find it very comfy, don't drive like an idiot and you wont ruin the tracks for others plus better economy on long highway drives. Tho i got my bighorns for a good price $290 each new from maxxis themselves. Can still get them if any one is interested.