PDA

View Full Version : How to get the Smoothest Travelling

ryanemcburnie
15th November 2012, 12:59 AM
G'day all!

Building the truck up for long-range touring, we decided on Ironman Heavy-Load Springs and Nitro Shocks (resist heating up on corrugations).

Not having a second GQ, I'm wondering if the old girl can ride a bit more softer on the highway? We are mainly concerned with long distances on the blacktop, spent a bit on the suspension upgrade but wondering if there's anything I may have missed. It's still pretty rough going after good $$$ spent but I might be being a bit 'soft' :confused:

We travel fully loaded (so from 1800kg Tare we proably add another 300kg after drawers, fridges etc.).

Any help/pointers/advice much appreciated! :bigthumbup:

BigRAWesty
15th November 2012, 06:16 AM
A lot of it has to do with the shocks and the internal valving.. So you need to use a comfort shock. Being leaf you have a slight disadvantage compared to coil, but it still can be smooth.

If its not to late opt for a comfort shock over the standard lift shock. It'll allow a little more body roll, but will save your back in the long run..

I am talking from experience to with my OME lift kit.. I feel every pebble on the road.. Turns out the kit shock is a cheap option and has small valves.. A $100 or so extra would have seen my Q ride like a baby...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca86
15th November 2012, 07:06 AM
Did you need the heavy load springs. Too heavy a spring and you shall have a rough ride too.

Ben-e-boy
15th November 2012, 07:40 AM
the best thing to do is load the vehicle and go to a public weighbridge, weigh the front, the entire vehicle and the rear. from these weights the people selling the suspension can select the right springs and shocks rates to suit the weight.

threedogs
15th November 2012, 07:40 AM
Have you looked at suspension seating for touring they are awesome ,for off road not so good but you can turn them down. I had one in my last 4x4 because
of a back condition. but now use a statos 3000. wish I had suspension seat back. strato make them , google will help

ryanemcburnie
15th November 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did go to a Suspension Steering shop to get some local advice, and did get advised for the Heavy Load springs as we drive loaded up with everything for our round-the-country-trip, so have a bit of weight rolling around. I was suspecting that might be giving the rough ride. Would changing shocks and keeping the heavy load springs be a step forward? Any pointers on possible shocks to look into would be a bonus!

BigRAWesty
15th November 2012, 09:55 PM
Changing shocks to a softer one won't affect the load capacity, they don't take any load what so ever.
But I would load it up as if you were heading off and go try it. As mentioned it will dampen quite a lot once loaded, but you'll only know once loaded.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
16th November 2012, 06:23 AM
No reason whats so ever why you cant get your leaf sprung 4x4 to drive as smooth as a coil. If a shorty the ride might be a bit heel toe. but a GOOD shop will get it to flex and do all you want. Wish I could find some old pics that would put a few here to shame. just go to a proper shop get them tailor made not off the self rubbish. Dont forget anti inversion and greasable shackles the right material for the bushes, huge difference. Might be better putting airbags in the back for load carrying

ryanemcburnie
16th November 2012, 11:10 PM
Just so we're all on the same page, it's a 1990 TD42 Coil LWB Wagon. My mistake, should of put it ^^^.