PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is this?

DSPIES
14th November 2012, 06:33 PM
hi folks..
today when i got in the car, the 'thing' in the pic was clicking and making a terrible spooling noise.

does anyone know what it is? after it clicks the red light turns on and then turns off.

It definitely connects straight into one of my batteries but i can't tell if it goes into both.

It also has that blue wire which seems to not be connected into anything.

everything seems to be working well in the car but the noise is annoying.
Is it part of the dual battery system or my car alarm/immobiliser? why has it started beeping, spooling and clicking?

It's sitting on the arial side.

thanks for your help in advance - this better not interfere with my forum meet up :s

taslucas
14th November 2012, 06:42 PM
Could it be a solenoid for the battery isolator?
I have no idea, just guessing!
No doubt you'll get some help soon

What's under those rubber caps?

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
14th November 2012, 06:45 PM
Looks like a REDARC dual battery isolater ,May have an adjustment to stop it clicking so much , heres mine

scotty83
14th November 2012, 06:47 PM
This looks like the redarc battery isolator. The blue wire is the override battery merge.

Tapped on by ScottyB

Bigrig
14th November 2012, 06:55 PM
This looks like the redarc battery isolator. The blue wire is the override battery merge.

Tapped on by ScottyB

X3 .... I have one that looks zachary the same ...

Yendor
14th November 2012, 06:59 PM
Make sure the black wire has a good clean connection.

Also make sure your alternator is charging correctly and there are no strange noises coming from it.

Any warning lights coming on in the dash after the engine has started?

DSPIES
14th November 2012, 07:10 PM
thanks guys.

no warning lights on the dash.
there is a 'spooling noise' or whining noise but i haven't exactly located where its coming from.

importantly, is this something i need to try and fix before the forum trip? bloody work wont give me much time before friday night.

Yendor
14th November 2012, 07:17 PM
As long as your alternator is charging your main battery you should be fine.

If the noise is coming from the isolator, it's a good chance it's faulty and your second battery will more then likely not be getting charged when the engine is running.

Bloodyaussie
14th November 2012, 07:22 PM
Thats why it is good to run a battery monitor ....