PDA

View Full Version : Door Strikers

alexx
12th November 2012, 03:36 PM
Any suggestion on how to reconstruct or replace the worn-out rubber/plastic coatings or covers of strikers? Doors seldom opened have still the tendency of wearing the striker's cover. Doors squeaks soon if these are not fixed. Buying a new Striker is not the only remedy, right?

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2012, 04:22 PM
They wear out with a bit of vibration with the door closed too damn it. Probably only buying a new one would fix it although none of mine still have a cover on them in the GQ and that is OK. Not sure about my GUIV? Never checked.

Sorry No Help there ^^^^^

taslucas
12th November 2012, 04:37 PM
This came up a while ago

Bigrigs solution, electrical tape. Someone else's (can't recall who) is to use heat shrink.

Tap, crackle, pop

Bigrig
12th November 2012, 06:44 PM
This came up a while ago

Bigrigs solution, electrical tape. Someone else's (can't recall who) is to use heat shrink.

Tap, crackle, pop

My tape is still humming along ... lol

Depending on which door and how often opened etc, it lasts a fair while ...

alexx
12th November 2012, 08:35 PM
I've used shrinkable tubes by cutting longitudinally, paste the ends using smart glue then apply heat so so that it would fit. Made two layers but still wont last a bit. 6 months its gone again. I haven't tried the nitto tape (an electrical tape that hardens in low heat). Maybe good in the side doors but i doubt if used at the rear ones, the rear door is too heavy. I shall try anyway. Thank you for the responses.

mudski
14th November 2012, 08:22 AM
Nylon air tubing. Can't remember what size but it works. this tubing can be bought from truck spare parts or hose places. Either that or go to the wreckers. I got some good second handy's for stuff all. You can also adjust them in a little to pull on the door tighter when closed...

alexx
14th November 2012, 03:23 PM
Noted mudski. Thank you.

BigRAWesty
14th November 2012, 04:05 PM
By strikers I guess you mean the d part of the latched??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

04OFF
14th November 2012, 09:32 PM
You can remove two large screws that hold the striker to the car, and then just refit the striker upside ,so now the lock rubs on a brand new bit of plastic, then use electrical tape to tape up the split side (that now wont get disturbed by the catch)

alexx
15th November 2012, 03:50 PM
By strikers I guess you mean the d part of the latched??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

A Striker is that what the lock catches.

Thanks to nissan4u.com for the pic.

BigRAWesty
19th November 2012, 01:52 AM
You can remove two large screws that hold the striker to the car, and then just refit the striker upside ,so now the lock rubs on a brand new bit of plastic, then use electrical tape to tape up the split side (that now wont get disturbed by the catch)

Good idea..

Any idea on how to fix a 500,000k old bonnet catch which has a slot cut into it from latch??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of