PDA

View Full Version : which suspension ???

benno77gu
9th November 2012, 07:22 AM
Hi i am going to fit 2" suspenion to my gu wagon i do moderate 4wding trails and a few hill climbs i was wondering what is the best value for money eg iron man, king springs, dobinsons or any brands, any help,advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated cheers

Bigrig
9th November 2012, 08:11 AM
Hear that? That was the can of worms being opened!!! lol

Heaps of threads on this very topic mate, and whilst everyone has their view, it's a matter of assessing what you're after, what you do, and what you can afford - from there, there's a wealth of choice.

Never had them, however the OME gear gets a good wrap whenever this conversation kicks off. 2" flexi coils from suspension stuff or a range of others perform well on and off road.

No doubt others will weigh in on this one to assist.

TPC
9th November 2012, 08:51 AM
I've always had OME and they have worked well for me, they seem to match the springs and shocks well to the setup or your 4wd.

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 09:23 AM
Ive had a OME (old man emu) 2" kit for 30,000 now and they are tough..
But to me they are stiff.. I've been told they do a couple of different strength of shocks and seem to hand out the stiff ones with the kit.
A couple of people request the comfort shock. It allows a little body roll on hard corners but have been told there a dream ride..

A basic 2" kit from OME is around the $1000 mark.
Don't stress about the castor correction bushes or gearbox drop plates if your in a LWB nissan. There not really needed.

Keep us informed whichever way you go.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

danielhobby
9th November 2012, 07:25 PM
mines a gu stii duel fueler and we just had ome 2'' put in.nitro chargersx 4 and coils to suit roof rack and fridge and rear draws,all of wich are not fitted yet so ride is firm.we just did an 8 day stint from broadford to jenolan caves on tar so got freeway and lots of bitumen tight corners,then over blue mountains to gosford then down coast to bega then inland to jindabyne,some dirt and corragations then to corryong and down to anglers rest and back to wodonga to broadford.all in all we got the lot except for lowrange hillclimbs.we only had about 200kgs of gear and the only place susp felt too hard was on big potholes but,as i said,accesories are not fitted yet so i cant complain.no excessive body roll and wagon goes about 2030mm high with standard wheel size.arb bendigo supplied and fitted 4 nitrocharger shock and 4x heavy coils and a new ome steering stabilizer and did a 500km check on ride height and bolt and nut check for $1530 inc gst.a kit was fitted to stabiliser bar as well.No castor kit was needed.all up im happy with job.

happygu
9th November 2012, 09:39 PM
You can't go wrong with most of the major brands.

Most will recommend OME, as will I, as I have had them in the past and they were great.

My most favoured and longest used combination ( 13 or so years ) has been the Kings Springs and Koni shocks, which have always proved to be excellent.

At present I am running OME front coils with Dobinson Rears, with Koni 88's. Works OK too.

big_fletch
9th November 2012, 10:05 PM
Best bet would be to find some patrols with 2" lifts (most common size) and take them for a drive if able.. Will be hard to pick otherwise as everyone has a different idea of what they want the ride to be.. OME is a excellent brand (sold by ARB), Tough Dog, Dobinson's, Koni, Bilstien ect are all very well known and reliable brands.. I personally use RidePro with ROX Shocks and i love it

Fletcha

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Here is my 2" OME kit
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15434-2-quot-OME-kit-flexing&p=291948#post291948

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

benno77gu
10th November 2012, 07:23 AM
thanks fellas i have priced a few kits OME $1260 iron man $900 and another iron man $742 dobinsons $800 i am leaning towards the iron man performance kit $742 (wife starting to complain spending to much) are sway bar extensions needed or the rear brake bias bracket cheers

Steve4wdin
10th November 2012, 08:35 AM
Heres my 2c worth. I run Dobinson springs and koni shocks . The ride is superb while handling the wieght of dual battery, steel bar and winch on front and draws and 80lt fridge in back. Yes you should put on sway bar extension brackets. ARB sell them for about $30.00. It just brings rear sway bay back up vertical. You shouldn`t need caster correction on the front.
Steve

growler2058
10th November 2012, 08:53 AM
TJM XGS Gold in a 2"lift is a great setup

MudRunnerTD
10th November 2012, 08:59 AM
thanks fellas i have priced a few kits OME $1260 iron man $900 and another iron man $742 dobinsons $800 i am leaning towards the iron man performance kit $742 (wife starting to complain spending to much) are sway bar extensions needed or the rear brake bias bracket cheers

You really are comparing the price of Sidchrome spanners with Supercheap Auto Home Brand mate. I understand the economics of the purchase, i really do. I honestly believe you should skimp elsewhere if funds are tight. Your suspension will be the foundations of your car for the next 10 years. OME All the Way!!

Buy a Cheaper fridge, make your own drawers, buy cheaper lights, buy a cheaper roof rack, buy second hand Mud tyres but Buy OME

BigRAWesty
10th November 2012, 09:55 AM
Yea don't touch iron man. Heard lots of not do good stories..

If you just grab the OME springs and comfort shocks (that's all you need for 2"), you should get below $1100.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of