PDA

View Full Version : Are bigger tyres really worth it???

Rayza
7th November 2012, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

Looking at a new set of treads in the near future. 1- simply because ill need them soon and 2- coz my mate just got a new set of BFG 31s and they look REAL GOOD!!! haha

So basically ive read many different things about tyre/wheel combos and i wanna lay the indecision to rest... ARE BIGGER TYRES REALLY WORTH IT???

My uncle seems to think that the factory 225/75r16's (cheese cutters as he calls them) on my Navara are fine and providing i drive properly will take me any where, so he says stay the same size but get a good set of ATs

My mate says the bigger and wider the better due to more ground contact, but i thought that was only really necessary in the sand... Is what he says true?

Im looking for a good ratio of on and off road performance. I dont mind sacrificing a little bit of fuel efficiency in return for a good time in the dirt. And in my mind performance is more important than looks...

I was looking at going to a set of 245/70r16's

Opinions will be greatly appreciated

TUR7LE
7th November 2012, 08:43 AM
It depends what u plan on doing with ur car . Bigger tyres give u more diff clearance wich is handy in ruts traction wise there is not alot of difference and I have heard some ppl say wider is better because a bigger footprint but others have told me skinnyer is better because it cuts through the mud and down to the solid ground underneath then u get traction ..... Both reasons sound plausible so I'm not sure what one is correct .... Hope that helps

BigRAWesty
7th November 2012, 08:54 AM
Bigger diameter is handy for diff clearance in ruts as the diff is higher.

A wider tyre is also handy as its more tread on the ground which reduces your kg/cm2 weight (makes the lighter per cm2 of tread)

But both have an affect on drivability of the car, fuel consumption and torque available.

So there is an up side and a down.
But your olds are right that you don't need bigger tyres to go places.

IMO, bolt a winch on.
You may or may not make that next rut with 33's.
With a winch and 31's you most probably will get stuck but you can drag yourself out and keep going..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Sir Roofy
7th November 2012, 09:26 AM
2-INCH LIFT A WINCH AND 31s ARE FINE YOU WILL GET TO MOST PLACES WITH OUT MUCH TROUBLE
BIGGER TYRES BIGGER FUEL BILL AND HARDER TO GET OUT OF RUTS

taslucas
7th November 2012, 09:32 AM
Patrols should have come out with 33s standard. Its the perfect size. The saying that skinny tyres cut through the mud to hit hard ground is only true when there is hard ground to hit.... And providing you hit it before your diff hits the ground. So only if it's 10 inches or so of mud and in that circumstance the wider tyre will cut through just the same.
Next time you go driving with mates, pay close attention to tyre type, size, and driving abilities of others

DX grunt
7th November 2012, 09:59 AM
G’day mate.

As everybody has said, you need to decide what sort of driving you’ll be doing.

I’ve got a 4.2TDi, ex Telstra ute with a pod on the back. It’s got, Kuhmo AT, LT 238/85/R16 (skinny tyres) – with split rims. They are not tubeless, but require tubes.

On my front diff, I have a Harris Hardcase.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3470-Gq-gu-bolt-on-no-weld-diff-guards-quot-harris-hardcase-quot
Please bear in mind the initial thread was posted over 18 months ago, and the price has increased. I still believe to this day, that it’s cheap insurance for you front diff.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Harris%20Hardcase/DXgruntintheflesh17082012008.jpg

All of my ‘skinny tyre’ driving involves the correct tyre pressure and driving to the conditions.

I used to freak out about beach driving. I had a bad experience in my early 4wding, and it’s taken years to get my confidence back – but I’ve done it.

What ever tyres you decide to buy, please remember:
1. You need to have the correct tyre pressure.
2. You need to drive to the conditions
3. You might still get bogged
4. You might still get a flat tyre.

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Don’t take risks, tell somebody where you’re going and when you arrive home.

If going somewhere even slightly remote, take another 4wd with you. I don’t care if it’s a Tojo. A tow from a Tojo is better than no tow. I'd accept it, without hesitation.

Safety in numbers is one of the keys you need for your next trip.

Take care out there.

Rossco

TUR7LE
7th November 2012, 10:20 AM
Well said rossco ... Safety in numbers

threedogs
7th November 2012, 11:18 AM
No one mentioned its gunna play havoc on yor brakes, plenty of weight rolling thats you need to stop with brakes designed for smaller lighter tyers.

bummer too when you have 31's and everyone one before you has chewed up track with 35s. some ppl just dont think

BigRAWesty
7th November 2012, 11:32 AM
No one mentioned its gunna play havoc on yor brakes, plenty of weight rolling thats you need to stop with brakes designed for smaller lighter tyers.

bummer too when you have 31's and everyone one before you has chewed up track with 35s. some ppl just dont think

Tell me about it.. On trips now I'm taking more "chicken tracks" because I have no hope after the "bigger is better" drivers have chewed the crap outta the tracks..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Sir Roofy
7th November 2012, 11:48 AM
Tell me about it.. On trips now I'm taking more "chicken tracks" because I have no hope after the "bigger is better" drivers have chewed the crap outta the tracks..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

your not the only one years ago i put sunraisers on because of the ruts and holes now they would get swallowed up

Rayza
7th November 2012, 12:29 PM
Wow thanks guys. Lots of good advice there. Gives me a lot to think about. I'll post some pics when I finally decide

MudRunnerTD
7th November 2012, 01:06 PM
285/75 R16 is the perfect tyre for most off road situations, touring or hill climbing. If that is your thing then a 33 or 285 is perfect, if mud is your thing then 35s and up i where its at these days or bring a winch and a good battery and plenty of time and patience.

Squalo
7th November 2012, 10:36 PM
33" tyres give a smoother ride than smaller diameter (basically the larger the diameter the smoother the ride), as they tend to roll over bumps rather than be slowed or deflected by them. The extra weight also helps with the ride, although you should have the suspension upgraded because the force of a 33" being deflected up puts a lot more load through the shock and spring.

When you drop pressures for sand or rock they also bag out better, and it's not the sidewall bagging that helps - it's the north-south increase in the amount of tread on the ground that makes the difference.

Downsides are as mentioned greater wear and tear on the vehicle (brakes work harder, suspension bushes etc. work harder), reduced fuel economy, potential speedo error, and changing a tyre becomes that much harder due to the weight (and they are heavy!). You might also consider how your spare will be carried - will a bigger tyre fit? - and whether you can get a replacement tyre or two in places that you might want to travel.

Also, if you have friends that you will definitely be travelling with, it is nice to have some compatibility with wheel/tyre size in case of serious tyre issues, and you might also consider the same aspect with regard to the tyres on the trailers, if any.

Personally I think they are worth the money, in fact I think a modern Mud Terrain is always the way to go - a lot of brands/models of MT are very good on tarmac now - the BFG KM2s are better than many, or even most ATs when it comes to wet tarmac grip. And whenever you go offroad you know you have maximum traction.

gu435
13th August 2013, 02:12 PM
tyres are everything. when i bought my patrol it had 35" all terrains.
tyres were brand new, but all terrains. i got left behind by a hilux on 33" muddies. since then i have switched to 35" BFG KM2's and havnt gotton stuck. your uncle doesnt know what he is on about saying a 31" muddie will take you anywhere. ill go further in just rear wheel drive on 35's then you will on 31's

threedogs
13th August 2013, 02:27 PM
Bit harsh as it was an honest question, not every one can or will fit 35" which I believe deem any 4x4 un RW.
Can you also jump over to the intros and let us know a bit about you and you're 4x4. just something the forum asks of us all.
BTW a Navara in the right hands on 31"s will be on par with a Patrol on 35"s in the wrong hands IMO

oddkid82
13th August 2013, 05:18 PM
Bit harsh as it was an honest question, not every one can or will fit 35" which I believe deem any 4x4 un RW.
Can you also jump over to the intros and let us know a bit about you and you're 4x4. just something the forum asks of us all.
BTW a Navara in the right hands on 31"s will be on par with a Patrol on 35"s in the wrong hands IMO

I agree, I have had a d40 on 31 all terrains and got to most places without any trouble. I just chose the right tyre pressures and picked the right lines.

taslucas
13th August 2013, 05:30 PM
I agree, I have had a d40 on 31 all terrains and got to most places without any trouble. I just chose the right tyre pressures and picked the right lines.

Depends where you drive though really. One persons idea of 4wding may not be as hectic as anothers.

oddkid82
13th August 2013, 05:55 PM
Depends where you drive though really. One persons idea of 4wding may not be as hectic as anothers.

That's true, I agree that bigger tyres give you a better chance of not getting bogged and taking harder tracks, without diffing out.

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2013, 06:02 PM
I Like big Tyres,
and i dont know why?
something i cannot deny,

Go Large! You know you want to!. Is Big Is Good!

BigRAWesty
13th August 2013, 06:07 PM

X2 first up intro..

And my GQ has been running 31 road tyres for years.. I've followed turbo'd cars with 35's the whole time. You gotta drive to the conditions.. Know your cars limits as you'll go anywhere..

happygu
13th August 2013, 06:18 PM
On my first couple of Patrols, I was really hesitant to run larger tyres, as my thinking as a young lad with no experience, was that if I needed them the manufacturers would have put them on standard, and I was worried about the extra 'load' on the drivetrain. Did I still go everywhere I wanted - yes, did I do lots of high country trips - yes, did I do lots of touring - yes. In fact, I still had an absolute ball with the smaller tyres.

With good quality tyres I managed with not many issues, but as time went on, and everyone started using bigger and bigger rubber, I did start damaging my vehicle on the harder trips, as the ruts were getting bigger, and technique can only get you so far.

Since my BIL finally talked me into getting larger tyres years ago, it has always been the first thing to go on a new truck. I still have never had any issues due to tyres, and they have ensured that my diffs and components, including side steps and sills are higher up and out of the way. Do I still go everywhere I want - yes, do I do lots of high country trips - yes, do I do lots of touring - yes.

There is no right or wrong, and even with the big tyres and lift, I still manage to hit my sills and rear quarters occasionally....... however, I do know that I would have more damage with smaller tyres, and lift.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 06:18 PM
How many guys that do have 35's (especially in Victoria or anywhere it's illegal to he on 35's) have received a free yellow sticker from Poolease.

Edit: including 3" plus lifts

happygu
13th August 2013, 06:25 PM
How many guys that do have 35's (especially in Victoria or anywhere it's illegal to he on 35's) have received a free yellow sticker from Poolease.

I run 33's for that reason, and they are a pretty good compromise.

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 06:38 PM
I run 33's for that reason, and they are a pretty good compromise.

Mic

On a GU8 has 32" stock tyres so to go to 33" tyres isn't really gonna do much.

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2013, 07:11 PM

3" lift and 33s in the GUIV, ran 35s for a while too. BiG Lift and 35"s on the GQ and never been hassled in that either but I Hide it in the Daylight ;)

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 07:35 PM
I Like big Tyres,
and i dont know why?
something i cannot deny,

Go Large! You know you want to!. Is Big Is Good!

Hahahha........"Sir Daz-a-Trol".....LMAO

Are we gonna here you bust some rhymes around the campfire in a couple of weeks time?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

taslucas
13th August 2013, 07:37 PM
X2 first up intro..

And my GQ has been running 31 road tyres for years.. I've followed turbo'd cars with 35's the whole time. You gotta drive to the conditions.. Know your cars limits as you'll go anywhere..

yeah but if you're following them into places that 35s struggle (with a good driver that drives to the conditions and knows their cars limit) then your 31s wont cut it. ie:http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14832-Colemine-Rd

Winnie
13th August 2013, 07:43 PM
I certainly would not go any smaller than 265/75s, that's what I run as my daily driving tyres and do a little bit of offroading when it's not worth changing to my mud tyres, 33s. If I was to only run one set of tyres all the time I think there is no other option than 285/75s or 33s.

happygu
13th August 2013, 08:02 PM
On a GU8 has 32" stock tyres so to go to 33" tyres isn't really gonna do much.

Hey Mego,

Stock is 31.1" 275 65r17

Mic

Cuppa
13th August 2013, 08:14 PM
Changing from 235/85's on 5.5" split rims to 265/75's on steel 8" ROH rims achieved two things I wanted. 1. allowed me to run lower pressure 2. although the tyres are wider (almost identical diameter), the rims weigh less, & overall effect is lower wheel weight. A bonus is a more comfortable ride.

Cuppa

mudski
13th August 2013, 08:17 PM
I got 33inch KM2's and regretting not buying 35's. Lol. Just a heads up for anyone who has some 35's they want to offload...

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 08:17 PM
Hey Mego,

Stock is 31.1" 275 65r17

Mic

So it must be 285's that are 32 point something

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 08:19 PM
I got 33inch KM2's and regretting not buying 35's. Lol. Just a heads up for anyone who has some 35's they want to offload...

Somehow I don't think you'll get a reply. Lol

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 08:22 PM
Curious.....without hijacking the thread....
What needs to happen to run 35's under a GQ?

taslucas
13th August 2013, 08:23 PM

Ill reply................

NO!

lol

Winnie
13th August 2013, 08:26 PM
Curious.....without hijacking the thread....
What needs to happen to run 35's under a GQ?

Either cut guards or body lift.... body lift is easier but honestly I'd rather cut the guards.

mudski
13th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah I know but just incase someones reading....

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 08:32 PM
Ill reply................

NO!

lol

A positive reply. LOL

MEGOMONSTER
13th August 2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah I know but just incase someones reading....

I've got a set of 4..........
35's
35's
35's
35's.

Drewboyaus
13th August 2013, 08:42 PM
Either cut guards or body lift.... body lift is easier but honestly I'd rather cut the guards.

Yeah, the crappy part about a body lift is having to redo the bar work so my rig doesn't look stupid.

Winnie
13th August 2013, 08:49 PM
I took the body lift out of mine about a month ago and it looks so much better now.

taslucas
13th August 2013, 08:52 PM

nah, you can get away with a suspension lift and the right offset rims.

A mate has a 3" lift and 35" MTZs

Rustyboner81
13th August 2013, 09:57 PM
in my opinion its like this.
bgiger tyres are a must if you can fit them on.
*bigger the tyre, fatter the tyre, smaller the rim = maximum baggin whe pressures are down.
and that is handy in EVERY terrain.
i do more rock work than anything else and dont rip up the tracks. big rubber aired down really allows you to grip those loose rocky surfaces its not just for sand where the footprint helps. but i am guilty of turning dunes to powder at the top so sorry about that.

you can get most places with your standard tyres and yes tyre pressures are the key to any situation but ive had 31x7x16 and i now have 33x12.5x15

i love the bigger tyres and ive got the weakest power when it comes to patrol engines.
but next time i wouldnt go MT caz they dig down hard in the sand and on the beach, otherwise no faults

alfonso
14th August 2013, 08:03 PM
Tyres mean nothing if your an idiot . If in doubt go flat out

taslucas
14th August 2013, 08:05 PM
Tyres mean nothing if your an idiot . If in doubt go flat out

and with that, you make the 25 posts!

alfonso
14th August 2013, 08:17 PM
thanks taslucas think I might stay around for a while though . The family are watching big brother now

taslucas
14th August 2013, 08:49 PM
thanks taslucas think I might stay around for a while though . The family are watching big brother now

good to hear mate:) (not the big brother bit! lol)

ThePolarbear
17th August 2013, 08:59 PM
Hi fellows. I'm almost not qualified to participate in this discussion,
but still intend to do so.
When it comes to tyres it is almost always so that bigger is better and up here
in the North we are running a very large tyres as you probably know.
Taller and wider tyres give you more ground clearance and better flotation
such as in sand as you all know or as in our case here in the extreme North, the snow.
So my advice is to go as big as you can and as big as is allowed by your law.
In terms of brakes and drive train it is our experience that it does not become
a problem until you go 44 "and larger but it certainly increases the load on these
things, but with good maintenance it is not that big of a problem.
Now there is a tendency over here to raise the body as little as possible and rather cut
the fenders and the inner wheel well to fit the tyres to make the car as drivable on
the road as possible. This is why you see so much of this heavily modified trucks on
38" and 44" on the roads here in Iceland, you can actually drive them quite well on the road.
As it seems to me you are primarily talking about 35" tyres so I guess it is the largest
you can go legally over there. Is it only 35"?? if so my heart goes out to you. :-)

Evo
18th August 2013, 12:35 AM

My last Troll (GQ Wagon) had 7" lift and 35"STT's.
Never took it offroad, never had a problem with the law in it either.
My current Troll (GU Wagon) has no lift and 307 70 16's.
Has been offroad a LOT, haven't been stuck in it either.

Drewboyaus
18th August 2013, 07:56 AM
My last Troll (GQ Wagon) had 7" lift and 35"STT's.
Never took it offroad, never had a problem with the law in it either.

Ah, yes but if you had an accident and injured someone (your fault or not) you would have been in a world of legal hurt......

Evo
19th August 2013, 12:15 AM
Ah, yes but if you had an accident and injured someone (your fault or not) you would have been in a world of legal hurt......

Actually it was fully insured...

Evo

Clunk
19th August 2013, 12:22 AM
Actually it was fully insured...

Evo

Just out of interest, did the insurance company know about the lift and tyres and were the mods engineered?

threedogs
19th August 2013, 07:53 AM
Don't believe this is still going but easy to sum up a larger diameter tyre will travel over bumps better than a smaller tyre.
This will give a more comfortable ride on rough roads, given your suspension is up to scratch