hi was wondering what to buy in torque wrenches
click / digital 1/2 inch ,1/4,3/8,
am totally confused
dont want a cheepy or top of the range
hope sone one can help
stephen:1062::1087::1087::1062:

YNOT
13th November 2010, 10:16 AM
What do you want to use it for and how much use will it get?
For me personally I wouldn't get a digital, in a workshop environment with regular use the electronics could get damaged. and for the rare times it would get used at home the extra expense doesn't seem justified to me.
If you're buying it just to tighten wheel nuts I would get a click type 1/2 inch. Nissan Patrol wheel nut tightening torque is 118 - 147 Nm, so make sure that's close to the middle of the adjustment range. If you also want to be able to torque down cylinder heads you will need something that goes as low as 30 Nm, which is a very wide torque range. Patrol cylinder heads get torqued down in stages with the final stages done by degrees not torque, so you would need a degree wheel as well.
Make sure what ever you get it comes in a case to protect it, if you want it to stay accurate you need to look after it.
Warren & Brown is a good brand without being over the top.

Tony

deano
20th November 2010, 01:52 AM
Ive got a kinchrome ratchet type very good and can also do left hand thread bolts which the lever type can't, the most important thing to remember is make sure you don't leave tension on the adjusting ring when not in use as the spring in side has a memory of sorts and it may be be out of calibration the next time you use it .
I couldn't think of any thing worse then a flat battery in a tension wrench so I echo YNOT's words there. supa cheep isnt always the go with tools a few extra $$ and a mid range tool will suit most DIY'ers.

XLR8
20th November 2010, 02:52 AM
Mine is similar to this click type one, nearly 20 years old, done plenty of work and still going strong. As mentioned above, good for L/H & R/H threads
Only downside is they are really only accurate to +/- 5 Nm.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MICROMETER-RATCHET-TORQUE-WRENCH-1-2-DRIVE-10-210Nm-/260631217128?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item3caed4c3e8

The split beam/pin type are far more accurate but tend to be a bit pricier when new. This one seems a reasonable price
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warren-Brown-150-ft-lb-torque-wrench-1-2-drive-/110610367604?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item19c0e44474

MikeNT
21st November 2010, 05:43 PM
As a professional mechanic I use a Snap On ratchet type torque wrench, I have tried a kinchrome ratchet type but it was not accurate enough on smaller torque values. If you buy a ratchet type torque wrench remember never to undo nuts/bolts with them the springs are usually one way. I agree with the above posters regarding the W&B beam type wrenches, highly accurate and if well treated almost never need calibrating. perfect for the occasional user and when accurate torque values are required.
Mike

patch697
21st November 2010, 06:13 PM
Warren & Brown in my collection & wouldn't have anything else.

Silver
19th February 2011, 03:33 AM
Warren and Brown for me, and don't be tempted to use it as a breaker bar nor to undo fasteners, apparently. Not sure why that is so...

Not sure if that applies to the ones that feel as if they are breaking, as they usually have a reversible ratchet head