PDA

View Full Version : 2002 GU TD 42 Turbo advice!

PMC
6th November 2012, 10:57 AM
G’day all you Patrolian Trendsetters out their!

I am seeking advice at present on which might be my best option in gaining extra power from my 2002 4.2 GU Turbo diesel. (HT18 turbo)

I am currently heading up to Cape York next August 2013 towing my Jayco Off-road Hawk camper trailer (View RLI’s Jayco Hawk Off-road camper trailer under the Caravan and Campers thread under Great outdoors heading) I am looking for the best power option for towing my camper up and down hills, beach driving and entry and departure sections on the Old Telegraph track.

At present the poor old GU could not pull an Air force pilot off your sister or a sailor off your son! My old stock standard 2.5 turbo inter-cooled D40 Navara had a lot more power and torque than my current Patrol. (Both vehicles were fitted with bull bars, rear bars, roof racks, winches and all the usual goodies) My aim is to get the Patrol to pull has hard as my old D40 with reasonable fuel economy.

My D40 when I had it Dyno tuned produced 120kw, if I can achieve power, torque around 110 to 120kw from my Patrol I will be a happy man. I am not after a power monster!

I know there are a lot of threads on the forum; however, I am using this thread also to help provide the latest info of what is currently happening out there in the market place now!

The mission should you decide to help this thread trendsetters would be to provide the following;

1. Firstly allows all those members who have already gone down the track and up-graded their Turbo’s or modified their Turbo’s to share the latest up to date views. Ie, fuel economy, torque; power the good points and the bad points of their up-grades! What would they do differently if they were going to do it again!

2. Advise us on what brand of Turbo’s you used and why? (Ie, TDO5,Garett etc)

3. What modifications you used and why? (Ie, high flowing the Turbo, modifying fuel pressure, Dyno tuning etc.)

4. Your opinion on what boost pressure you are using and why?

5. Your opinion on which exhaust size is best and why?

6. What you think is the best value for money option set-up and why?

PS, all the best with your research info for this thread!

Regards,

RLI
:sterb003:

nissannewby
6th November 2012, 11:54 AM
1. The most you want to do is an exhaust side high flow on a HT18. I am currently in the progress of upgrading to a TD05 18G and will show results once done. I have had the standard setup tuned to a respectable 142hp and towing a 3 tonne trailer it will do about 17-18l/100. The standard turbos spool nice and early but run out of puff pretty quick. Ben-e-boy has just finsihed some modification on his TD42 and is running a TD05 16G from the dts kits with very good results.

2. I have only used TD05 turbos as they are a journal bearing turbo and the garret ball bearing turbos reliability is sometimes questionable. The journal bearings can take a lot more abuse before failing and a minor rebuild is cheap compared to that of a ball bearing unit.

3. Like I said I have just dynoed mine and it returned 142hp at the wheels. This is on a factory intercooled turbo motor though. I have removed the EGR and vent the crank case breather to atmospher, run a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with dump pipe. The bigger the exhaust the quciker the gases can escape allowing your turbo to work better.

4. Without an intercooler I wouldnt exceed 14 psi. When you compress air it heats up and being that the HT18 is on the smaller side anything beyond this it just makes to much heat (air thins out) and EGT's will start to become an issue. With a intercooler I wouldnt go much further than 16 as the turbo will be out of its efficiency range (HT18).

5. 3" from the turbo back. This will improve response and help lower EGT's slighty. It is the most common size and is cheap enough.

6. With a HT18 best value for money would be an exhasut side high flow, 3" exhaust from turbo back and an intercooler setup. Follow this up with a tune and you will be very satisfied.

My standard factory turbo setup with intercooler with my tune will pull our big heavy trailer without to much drama in a 100k zone and up an incline I havent had to go below 4th gear. And I hear what your saying about the standard setup they are dismal power and torwue wise. Mine without any load normally sits around the 13/100 mark.

snewin
6th November 2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry if this isn't the info that you want...but a diesel mechanic told me that the TD42T with a 3" exhaust, manual boost pushing the turbo to 13-14psi, bigger plunger(?) in the fuel pump and intercooler (if you don't have one) is capable of putting out 115kw with the factory turbo if tuned right.

I can't verify this (yet) but if may change your mind about paying for another turbo if you want to explore other mods as an option and keep the factory one. (But a garrett turbo would be sooo nice).

Rob

PMC
6th November 2012, 12:53 PM
1. The most you want to do is an exhaust side high flow on a HT18. I am currently in the progress of upgrading to a TD05 18G and will show results once done. I have had the standard setup tuned to a respectable 142hp and towing a 3 tonne trailer it will do about 17-18l/100. The standard turbos spool nice and early but run out of puff pretty quick. Ben-e-boy has just finsihed some modification on his TD42 and is running a TD05 16G from the dts kits with very good results.

2. I have only used TD05 turbos as they are a journal bearing turbo and the garret ball bearing turbos reliability is sometimes questionable. The journal bearings can take a lot more abuse before failing and a minor rebuild is cheap compared to that of a ball bearing unit.

3. Like I said I have just dynoed mine and it returned 142hp at the wheels. This is on a factory intercooled turbo motor though. I have removed the EGR and vent the crank case breather to atmospher, run a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with dump pipe. The bigger the exhaust the quciker the gases can escape allowing your turbo to work better.

4. Without an intercooler I wouldnt exceed 14 psi. When you compress air it heats up and being that the HT18 is on the smaller side anything beyond this it just makes to much heat (air thins out) and EGT's will start to become an issue. With a intercooler I wouldnt go much further than 16 as the turbo will be out of its efficiency range (HT18).

5. 3" from the turbo back. This will improve response and help lower EGT's slighty. It is the most common size and is cheap enough.

6. With a HT18 best value for money would be an exhasut side high flow, 3" exhaust from turbo back and an intercooler setup. Follow this up with a tune and you will be very satisfied.

My standard factory turbo setup with intercooler with my tune will pull our big heavy trailer without to much drama in a 100k zone and up an incline I havent had to go below 4th gear. And I hear what your saying about the standard setup they are dismal power and torwue wise. Mine without any load normally sits around the 13/100 mark.

G'day nissannewby,

Fantastic info mate!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th November 2012, 12:55 PM
Sorry if this isn't the info that you want...but a diesel mechanic told me that the TD42T with a 3" exhaust, manual boost pushing the turbo to 13-14psi, bigger plunger(?) in the fuel pump and intercooler (if you don't have one) is capable of putting out 115kw with the factory turbo if tuned right.

I can't verify this (yet) but if may change your mind about paying for another turbo if you want to explore other mods as an option and keep the factory one. (But a garrett turbo would be sooo nice).

Rob

G'day Rob,

Great in-put!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th November 2012, 08:05 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

Latest in-tell over!

I spoke to Tony at MTQ Engine Systems in Toowoomba QLD today, who advised me they do a stage 2 turbo upgrade (a fully reconditioned HT18 Hi-flow turbo with a new 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system and a dyno-tune) for $2810 inc gst drive in and drive out. I was advised this would suit my needs for towing my camper and i would be happy with the power gains.

Has anyone gone down this path and if so are you happy with the results!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
6th November 2012, 09:34 PM
G'day folks!

The following info is from MTQ website regarding Nissan Patrol turbo upgrades!

DTS manufacture two up grade packages for Nissan Patrol 4.2L Factory Turbo Diesel.

Stage 1

Involves a redesigned Turbine Wheel at the exhaust end of the turbocharger, complete with high flow dump pipe and 3inch high flow constant radius exhaust system. Testing has proven power levels of up to 35% Increase over Factory standard engine.

Stage 2

Involves the induction and exhaust side of the turbocharger, a redesigned Compressor Wheel and Turbine Wheel, complete with high flow dump pipe and 3inch high flow constant radius exhaust system. Testing has proven power levels of up to 42% Increase over Factory standard engine.

Stage 1 and 2

Peak power levels will be determined by the condition and tune of the engine. Turbocharger Dump Pipe and Exhaust System can be purchased separately.

www.dtsturbo.com.au

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
7th November 2012, 10:02 AM
I would stick with the stage one. The limiting factor with compressor side mods is the stupid factory elbow which feeds your induction side of the turbo. Your dollars will be better spent upgrading the turbo than modifying the original.

I looked at the option of a full cartridge swap out on my ht18 so it was a ball bearing and what they call a disco potato. The figures they could give me weren't any better than what I was gettin. I have a full 16psi by 2000 rpm. I wanted plenty of info which I couldn't get before forking out the money.

Briandon
7th November 2012, 06:12 PM
Have just had United Fuel Injection in Perth fit a 3'' mandrel bent exhaust Hi Flow the turbo and fit reconditioned injectors on my 2001 4.2TD (no intercooler) and set up on the dyno.
Result was increase from 71kw (96hp) at rear wheels to 114kw (155hp) and increase from 294Nm of torque to 355Nm.
The torque curve has also flattened out considerably.
Apparently the gauze filter on the top of the IP was partly blocked so that would have contributed.
Did a seat of the pants test on a fairly steep hill nearby, pre mods standing start topped hill at 90km Hr post mods 110km Hr.
Fairly pricy exercise and yet to tow our caravan which will be the ultimate test but pretty happy at this stage.
No noticeable change in engine temp.
One problem was that the turbo drain pipe no longer lined up properly with the sump inlet pipe with the result that the connecting hose is barely long enough to fit over the belled ends, potential for hose to slip and drop engine oil.
Just needed longer oil hose to fix.
Problem with that is hose is 22mm or 7/8'' ID and that is hard to find and very expensive when you do at about $70 per foot (neoprene).
Hope that helps.
Briandon

Briandon
7th November 2012, 06:30 PM
Forgot to add to previous post that mod also included 3'' dump pipe.
If discussions with Matt prior to the job were followed there was to be no change to the fuel pressure.
My emphasis was on reliability and longevity over absolute maximum performance also did not want to affect the engine operating temperature which for a 4.2 is very steady regardless of conditions.
Briandon

PMC
8th November 2012, 09:54 AM
Have just had United Fuel Injection in Perth fit a 3'' mandrel bent exhaust Hi Flow the turbo and fit reconditioned injectors on my 2001 4.2TD (no intercooler) and set up on the dyno.
Result was increase from 71kw (96hp) at rear wheels to 114kw (155hp) and increase from 294Nm of torque to 355Nm.
The torque curve has also flattened out considerably.
Apparently the gauze filter on the top of the IP was partly blocked so that would have contributed.
Did a seat of the pants test on a fairly steep hill nearby, pre mods standing start topped hill at 90km Hr post mods 110km Hr.
Fairly pricy exercise and yet to tow our caravan which will be the ultimate test but pretty happy at this stage.
No noticeable change in engine temp.
One problem was that the turbo drain pipe no longer lined up properly with the sump inlet pipe with the result that the connecting hose is barely long enough to fit over the belled ends, potential for hose to slip and drop engine oil.
Just needed longer oil hose to fix.
Problem with that is hose is 22mm or 7/8'' ID and that is hard to find and very expensive when you do at about $70 per foot (neoprene).
Hope that helps.
Briandon

G'day Briandon!

Questions: 1. What type of Turbo are you using?

2. What was the total cost of the exercise?

Regards,

RLI

PMC
8th November 2012, 10:16 AM
I would stick with the stage one. The limiting factor with compressor side mods is the stupid factory elbow which feeds your induction side of the turbo. Your dollars will be better spent upgrading the turbo than modifying the original.

I looked at the option of a full cartridge swap out on my ht18 so it was a ball bearing and what they call a disco potato. The figures they could give me weren't any better than what I was gettin. I have a full 16psi by 2000 rpm. I wanted plenty of info which I couldn't get before forking out the money.

G'day nissannewby,

More great info yet again mate!

Question: If possible mate, what was the cost of your TDO5 Turbo install?

The reason i ask is two fold, firstly, that one operator ie MTQ Toowoomba QLD as advised that for $2810 inc gst drive in and drive out. They can fit there Stage 2 kit ( which Involves the induction and exhaust side of the turbocharger, a redesigned Compressor Wheel and Turbine Wheel, complete with high flow dump pipe and 3inch high flow constant radius exhaust system, dyno tune. Testing has proven power levels of up to 42% Increase over Factory standard engine.) Secondly, to help measure other operators set-up options and costs to help the average punter out there in deciding which is the best set-up for their respected budget!

I would like to use this thread to be able to share with the forum members, the latest info out there on the various range of set-up options. Including costs, to help our members with their research when it comes to power-up options for there 4.2 diesel engines!

PS, KEEP THE INFO COMING PLEASE!

Regards,

RLI

Briandon
8th November 2012, 02:56 PM
G'day RLI
Exhaust and turbo mods were $2850, injectors $700, also had compression test before any work commenced at $130.
My understanding is that the pressure side of the turbo remains stock with a new body fitted to the exhaust side with some housing mods to the original body, If you require any more detail you could contact Matt Craig at United, www.united fuel.com.au or phone 08 92593033.
Hope that helps.
Regards Briandon

PMC
8th November 2012, 06:26 PM
G'day RLI
Exhaust and turbo mods were $2850, injectors $700, also had compression test before any work commenced at $130.
My understanding is that the pressure side of the turbo remains stock with a new body fitted to the exhaust side with some housing mods to the original body, If you require any more detail you could contact Matt Craig at United, www.united fuel.com.au or phone 08 92593033.
Hope that helps.
Regards Briandon

G'day Briandon,

Thanks for the heads up mate! Will contact Matt for a quote!

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
8th November 2012, 11:06 PM
As good as UFI is man be prepared to wait, he is a very busy man.

PMC
9th November 2012, 08:37 PM
As good as UFI is man be prepared to wait, he is a very busy man.

G'day nissannewby,

Thanks for the heads up!

PS, I will try to phone you over the weekend, if that is OK with you?

Regards,

RLI

PMC
9th November 2012, 09:45 PM
G'day folks!

Has anybody heard of this brand of Turbo "Kinugawa Turbocharger 3" TD05H-16G Nissan TD42 Patrol w/ 6cm T3 Super-Fast Spool"

The following are the specs i got of e-bay Australia about this product;

Kinugawa Turbocharger 3" TD05H-16G Nissan TD42 Patrol w/ 6cm T3 Super-Fast Spool

Item location: Saga, Japan

Item Name:
Kinugawa Nissan TD42 Patrol Diesel TD05H-16G Turbocharger with 3" Cover and 6cm V-Band Turbine Housing.

Application: Universal Type- 2000~3000cc gasoline- 3800~6000cc diesel engine

CHRA Size: TD05H-Big16G

Wheel spec: Compressor wheel: 48.3 / 68 mm (EVO3-16G Wheel) Turbine wheel: 49.2 / 56 mm (TD05H / 12 blade)

Compressor Housing: A/R 60, Compressor Inlet: 76mm / 3” - Compressor Outlet: 51mm / 2” - No Anti-surge cover inlet.

Turbine Housing: 6cm / AR 41- T3 Inlet Flange- Internal Gate

Bearing Type: Journal Bearing KAMAK Performance Thrust Bearing Kit

Cooling Type: - Oil and Water-Cooled

Watergate Actuator: - 1.0 Bar / 15 psi- 0.5Bar, 0.8 Bar, 1 Bar, 1.2 Bar, 1.5 bar actuators are available, please contact us if you need it.- Actuator position can be 360 Deg moved easily.

Max Hp: 300~450HP

Turbo Boost Limit: 2.8 Bar (Based on Performance bearing kit with larger thrust bearing)

Suggested Boost: 1.5 bar / 22 Psi

Product Situation: Brand New

Kit Includes: 1 x Oil feed line kit, 1 x Oil drain pipe kit, 2 x Coolant line Kit, 2 x Turbine Gasket ( Inlet + Outlet ) 1 x V-Band Adapter Everything shown on picture is included.

Warranty: One Year

Original price: AU $749.00 Discounted price: AU $711.55

Posts to: Australia, N. and S. America, Europe, Asia, New Zealand $15.00

I am curious for feed back from those of you with Turbo experience. I have been advised to hi-flow and re-condition my current factory turbo will cost around $1500.00. When I can purchase a brand new Japanese Turbo to suit a TD42 nissan diesel for around $ 730.00 delivered. Is this to good to be true?

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
9th November 2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah mate just call anytime after 7pm qld time. I have done some reading on these kinugawa turbos there is a bloke on here who has used a 20g version on his gq but haven't heard an update on it since he fitted it. Look forward to your call mate

PMC
10th November 2012, 05:50 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

Due to the shit weather, i have been researching turbo info. I received the following e-mail below regarding the Kinugawa turbo.

Hi Paul.

We do a range of Kinugawa turbos suitable for the TD42 Patrol motor. Basically there are 2 exhaust housings (6cm and 8cm) and then 3 compressor wheel options (16G, 18G and 20G). They all use the same TD05 turbine wheel.

Exhaust housing relates mostly to spool time. The smaller 6cm housings are a quick spool, so if low down torque is more important to you, that would be my suggestion. Then it’s a matter of selecting the comp wheel. The 16G will be the mildest upgrade, the 20G the most extreme. Once again the larger 20G wheel will take a little longer to come on boost than the smaller 18G which will take slightly longer than the 16G. A good place to start would be the 6cm housing with 18G comp wheel in my opinion, so this item here: http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2133

We can provide this unit shipped to your door for $1199 NZD.

Kind regards,

AL Nicholls
Managing Director

Regards,

RLI

PMC
10th November 2012, 07:17 PM
G'day nissannewby,

Great to have a chat with you this evening, thanks for your kind advice!

PS, Looking forward to here from you when you get back home!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
10th November 2012, 07:25 PM
G'day folks,

Here is the latest reply from AL Nicholls Managing Director from Driven Performance in New Zealand distributor of Kinugawa Turbos. I cannot get over the prompt response to my questions from Al. The following e-mail below is the latest response to another of my inquiries today.

Hi Paul.

These turbos bolt up to your existing manifold, so no modification needed there. They also come with a fitting kit. We don’t sell a dump pipe specific to your vehicle, but these turbos come with a v-band flange to make the dump pipe from – so your local exhaust shop can just weld up a section of pipe direct to that flange and it will clamp in place to the rear of the turbo.

Cheers!

AL Nicholls
Managing Director

Sent: Saturday, 10 November 2012 8:30 p.m.
To: 'Driven Performance LTD'
Subject: RE: [ WEB Form - Kinugawa ]

G’day AL,

Thanks for your prompt response and great advice.

Could you please advise me if I need to modify anything to fit this turbo to my Patrol, can i just un-bolt the old factory one and bolt your one straight on?

I am also looking at fitting an 3inch exhaust system to the Patrol, due you sell a dump pipe to suit?

Regards,

Paul

PS, BACK TO RESEARCHING!

Regards,

RLI

Lewy
11th November 2012, 07:17 AM
Here is the thread to the tune that AMMS did for my troll Just for an Idea of what you can achieve with very little mods.. Mines all standard besides the dump and exhaust..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7991-Amms-)

PMC
11th November 2012, 12:10 PM
Here is the thread to the tune that AMMS did for my troll Just for an Idea of what you can achieve with very little mods.. Mines all standard besides the dump and exhaust..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7991-Amms-)

G'day Lewy,

Thanks for the great info mate!

Regards,

RLI

Rogerthat
12th November 2012, 12:14 PM
Mate, I just did a TD05 16G large install (from Matt at UFI) on my N/A GU. Install included: new stainless snorkel, zd30 airbox, new intake piping, new 450 x 300 x 75 top mount cooler, new 3" stainless exhaust, dyno tune.

And it finally drives like they should've from factory! Boost comes on REALLY early and runs up to 13psi which is as far as i really want to push it with the lighter pistons and standard non compensated pump. I haven't towed / loaded it but quietly confident it'll meet my requirements there - not the cheapest approach but certainly thorough...

If you want any more details let me know. Cheers

PMC
12th November 2012, 12:24 PM
Mate, I just did a TD05 16G large install (from Matt at UFI) on my N/A GU. Install included: new stainless snorkel, zd30 airbox, new intake piping, new 450 x 300 x 75 top mount cooler, new 3" stainless exhaust, dyno tune.

And it finally drives like they should've from factory! Boost comes on REALLY early and runs up to 13psi which is as far as i really want to push it with the lighter pistons and standard non compensated pump. I haven't towed / loaded it but quietly confident it'll meet my requirements there - not the cheapest approach but certainly thorough...

If you want any more details let me know. Cheers

G'day Rodgerthat,

Thanks for your kind input mate, please keep us informed about your set-up over the coming weeks.

PS, Is it possible for you to show us some photos of your set-up please?

Regards,

RLI

PMC
13th November 2012, 03:10 PM
G'day folks,

The following e-mail below, is the latest info regarding this thread! It is advice from GCG Turbos in Melbourne.

Hi Paul,

They are your two main options, so yes I can either rebuild + High flow your current unit (will retain all factory mounting positions and lines), and be at a base price of $1350inc GST + major parts and machining (if required), alternatively, you can go a whole after market set up, but it would not be very cost effective, as you will require manifold, dumpe pipe, lines intake piping etc. If your after a slight increase I would recommend the Highflow.

Regards,

Online Sales Department
&nbs p; ;

117 Eldridge Road &nb sp; &nbs p; GCG Turbo KK
PO Box 251 &nbs p; ; 1F Kurogawa Building, Anagawa 3-1-17
Condell Park NSW &nbs p; ; Inage-ku, CHIBA
AUSTRALIA 2200 &nb sp; &nbs p; JAPAN 263-0024

Free Call - 1300 TURBOS & nbsp;
Ph (+61) 02 9708 2122 &nb sp; &nbs p; (+81) 43 216 4921
Fx (+61) 02 9708 2912 &nb sp; &nbs p; (+81) 43 216 4931
www.gcg.com.au &nb sp; &nbs p; ; www.gcgturbo.co.jp

PMC
13th November 2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah mate just call anytime after 7pm qld time. I have done some reading on these kinugawa turbos there is a bloke on here who has used a 20g version on his gq but haven't heard an update on it since he fitted it. Look forward to your call mate

G'day mate!

What is the turbo like? Did you get what you paid for?

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
13th November 2012, 03:29 PM
Have inspected it. Had a look inside the exhaust housing for the stamped MHI like you suggested but as its been machined I cannot tell. There is a nice little Mitsubishi symbol cast into the exhaust housing that doesnt look like a cheap casting. The wastegate actuator doesnt indicate that it is one of the cheaper kinugawa items. I will hopefully get it fitted up tomorrow, just to the factory intercooler for now. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in just fitting the turbo itself.

It seems as though I have got what I paid for, its just a matter of time now for me to get everything fitted and setup and hopefully I will be seeing some awesome results. I also have to look into my cooling system now as it the coolant temp came up on it last time we towed with it, although this was up the toowoomba range and it was not the only car suffering. In saying that something must be slightly amiss as when everything is in good condition the temp gauge will never go past half on the gauge.

I have thrown pics up in my build thread of the new turbo if you wanna have a peek :)

PMC
13th November 2012, 09:15 PM
Have inspected it. Had a look inside the exhaust housing for the stamped MHI like you suggested but as its been machined I cannot tell. There is a nice little Mitsubishi symbol cast into the exhaust housing that doesnt look like a cheap casting. The wastegate actuator doesnt indicate that it is one of the cheaper kinugawa items. I will hopefully get it fitted up tomorrow, just to the factory intercooler for now. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in just fitting the turbo itself.

It seems as though I have got what I paid for, its just a matter of time now for me to get everything fitted and setup and hopefully I will be seeing some awesome results. I also have to look into my cooling system now as it the coolant temp came up on it last time we towed with it, although this was up the toowoomba range and it was not the only car suffering. In saying that something must be slightly amiss as when everything is in good condition the temp gauge will never go past half on the gauge.

I have thrown pics up in my build thread of the new turbo if you wanna have a peek :)

G'day mate,

I am glad you are happy! With check out your thread ASAP!

Regards,

RLI

nissannewby
13th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Its under "My Luxury Ride" in the members section.

PMC
19th November 2012, 09:48 PM
G'day folks,

Keep the info flowing!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
21st November 2012, 07:26 PM
G'day Trendsetters!

The following e-mail below is the latest intell over!

"Thank you for your enquiry. As with every aftermarket turbo that we are aware of our turbo's are made in china. What I can tell you about our product is that we have tried and tested near on 100 different manufacturers and of these manufactures we have narrowed it down to just 2 that we found to be reliable and of a high quality.

We understand that there is a lot of negative information out there about Chinese turbos but our product is of a high quality and this is why we feel confident in supplying a 12 Month Warranty.

Regards,

Stuart Ingram"

E: stuart@autopowerhouse.com.au
W: Auto Powerhouse Online Auto-parts

P: 1300 268 455
P.O.Box 5135, Robina Town Centre, QLD 4230, Australia

PMC
22nd November 2012, 10:58 AM
I am 95% committed

G'day fellow Trendsetters!

I have conducted extensive research on upgrading my factory Turbo to an after market one, and i am 95% committed to purchasing one of Matt Craig's (United Fuel Injection) turbo's due to the fact that they use genuine Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Turbos (TD05) and then modify them to suit there clients needs.

Matt, has certainly answered a load of questions that i have put to him over the last couple of days without any hesitation! Where as other Turbo suppliers, were reluctant or some of them would not even commit to provide answers to my questions! (There loss)

All the various forums that i have perused to gather my intell from, i have not viewed one negative complaint about Matt's product or his company's service! The only negative comment made was by another rival competitor, whom i found out had many complaints about his company and the turbo products that his company sold!

I sincerely hope, that this thread will help some of you out there, when it comes to your turn, if or when you decide to do a power upgrade to your GU TD42 engine!

PS, as a forum friend has said to me "do it once do it right"

Regards,

RLI

PMC
24th November 2012, 02:59 PM
G'day folks!

I also spoke with Mike a week ago when i was conducting this research on up-grading to a better power option. He advised me between $2,000.00 and $3,000.00 to rebuild and high-flow my factory H18, fit an 3inch exhaust and Dyno tune the vehicle!

Mike dyno tuned my old 1999 GU 4.2 diesel in 2003 when i fitted back then a DTS turbo and DTS intercooler to her. When i fit my new United fuel injections TD05 turbo, I will be driving from Coffs Harbour to get Mike Vine to dyno tune her!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
26th November 2012, 07:11 PM
G'day Trendsetters!

Just got off the phone to Matt, from United Fuel Injections, i have now ordered my TD05 16GYe-Haa turbo!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers:

nissannewby
26th November 2012, 09:45 PM
Hey RLI

I have recieved a response from MHI themselves about their turbo variations. They have informed me that they do make the different sized components and that such a turbo exists. However these turbo setups are not available retail only through specified dealers.

Cheers Newby

PMC
27th November 2012, 07:07 AM
Hey RLI

I have recieved a response from MHI themselves about their turbo variations. They have informed me that they do make the different sized components and that such a turbo exists. However these turbo setups are not available retail only through specified dealers.

Cheers Newby

G''day Newby,

Good work work mate!

With our joint commitment, it is a great result that we both know that our product is the real McCoy!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
8th December 2012, 09:59 PM
G'day trendsetters!

Hopefully, i will have my new TDO5 16G large Ye-Haa turbo by next Friday. Will keep you all posted!

Regards,

RLI

PMC
18th January 2013, 05:12 PM
G'day lounge lizards!

Up date on my turbo purchase! I received my TD05 16G kit from United Fuel Injections in Western Australia.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/IMG_1389.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/IMG_1391.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Turbo%20photos/IMG_1547.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Turbo%20photos/IMG_1548.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/RLI1/Turbo%20photos/IMG_1649.jpg

I am very impressed with the results so far!

PS, for information on the TD05 16G or any other TD05 turbo, please contact Matt Craig from United Fuel Injections on;

Mob: 0439 900 921
Tel (08) 9259 3033
Fax (08) 9479 7401
Freecall 1800 199 701
www.unitedfuel.com.au

Regards,

RLI

Byte
19th April 2014, 06:58 AM
RLI (or others)

What is that SS airbox outlet called?

I want it.

Where can i get it from?

Byte

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2014, 07:39 AM
RLI (or others)

What is that SS airbox outlet called?

I want it.

Where can i get it from?

Byte

Hi mate please head over to the introduction secton and say g'day please mate.

The air of lid is from Patroldocta.

Byte
19th April 2014, 02:42 PM
thanks buddy.

intro posted..

is the plastic air box lid off a zd30 or something else?

byte

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2014, 04:49 PM
thanks buddy.

intro posted..

is the plastic air box lid off a zd30 or something else?

byte

Thanks mate.

Do you man the last pic in this thread? You must. Nah Paul just modded the factory TD42 GU air of lid, he cut the top out and fitted up the elbow. patrol docta make a replacement laid that is a direct fit to the gu airbox

Byte
19th April 2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks MudrunnerTD.

yes, i was referring to the last pic.

that's a great little mod - do you know the results of this mod - performance wise?

when i see patroldocta's website - it appears they make a larger flange for the outlet and will not fit on the oem 42 airbox lid.??

byte

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks MudrunnerTD.

yes, i was referring to the last pic.

that's a great little mod - do you know the results of this mod - performance wise?

when i see patroldocta's website - it appears they make a larger flange for the outlet and will not fit on the oem 42 airbox lid.??

byte

The one they have listed for the ZD30 is the replacement airbox for the factory TD42Ti box. Big increase in air flow.

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2014, 07:27 PM
Here is the lid mod for sale on eBay but its only $20 cheaper than the whole box from Patroldocta.

Patrol-GU-TD42-Air-Box-Lid (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Patrol-GU-TD42-Air-Box-Lid-/231190304430?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d40416ae&_uhb=1)

Byte
19th April 2014, 09:24 PM
like paul, i too have the factory TD42 GU air of lid.

can i just cut it it suit like paul did and fit up the elbow from patroldocta?

i am a bit confused now.

out of the options - which is the best airflow option?

byte

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2014, 09:34 PM
like paul, i too have the factory TD42 GU air of lid.

can i just cut it it suit like paul did and fit up the elbow from patroldocta?

i am a bit confused now.

out of the options - which is the best airflow option?

byte

Yes you can just do the mod to the lid. Your can get the Donaldson Cobra head bend pretty cheap then do the mod yourself. On my list of things to do.

Byte
19th April 2014, 09:57 PM
thanks - is the patroldocta outlet form the airbox lid a more effective mod that the cobra mod?

byte

Byte
20th April 2014, 08:44 AM
thoughts?

byte

Stropp
20th April 2014, 03:01 PM
I have both the alloy lid and cobra bend, didn't really notice a lot of difference.