PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning motor after playing in mud

Guido
12th November 2010, 09:18 PM
Hi guys,
This winter took the GU VI (3.0ltre) through a number of trails in the Southern Fleurieu SA, with my eldest bloke in his GQ. Now he likes to have a dirty truck - where after play I prefer to clean mine.

Knowing there is a fair bit of electronic doodads under the bonnet - I'm now scratching my head as to how I now clean under the bonnet & motor which is cover in a film of dirty / dried thin mud.

I'm not game to hit it with a gernie. I'm sure there's loads of you guys out there how have played in mud a lot longer than me.

Simple question - whats the most effective way of cleaning the motor without an expensive repair bill

Many thanks

YNOT
14th November 2010, 07:50 AM
I thought someone else might have answered this by now?
My advice, don't use a high pressure water cleaner in an engine bay with complex electronics. The high velocity of the water can push water and dirt past seals into into places where it can do very expensive damage. It's also best to wait until your engine bay has cooled down before washing it down. The sudden cooling effect of the water can cause contraction of various components and draw water in. Never spray water on hot brakes, it can cause warping or cracking.

If it's just mud you're removing give the engine an initial light hose with a garden hose and give it 5 or 10 minutes to soak in. This should soften the mud and make it much easier to wash off, again with a garden hose. If that doesn't get everything off you can either take to it with a banister brush or spray it with degreaser. Give degreaser a few minutes to soak in before washing it off.
Don't forget to give your radiators a good hose out. When mud hits a hot radiator it dries very quickly and dramatically reduces the radiators cooling capacity. It can be very hard to see the mud blocking you radiator, so give it a good hose down all over, let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes then hose it again. Watch the color of the water coming out, you want to see clean water. Use a garden hose for this and don't get too close, you don't want to damage the radiator fins.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th November 2010, 11:26 PM
IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CONDITION CORE:

After hosing radiator, you can, being careful not get too close to fins, use compressed air to blow out any stubborn mud. If mud has dried out sometimes soaking it won't dissolve all of it.

I can't stress it enough though Keep the air gun about 4"/10cm away from fins, and point the blo gun straight through the fins.

We have to do this on large mowers at work often. And only the sensible service guys are permitted to carry out the job. As compressed air can blow the fins over. Hence the reason you would not do this if your core/ fins are flaking off.
Tim

Maxhead
15th November 2010, 09:10 PM
Lately I've been going to car lovers and giving the under the bonnet a spray with engine cleaner and it works a treat