PDA

View Full Version : Autos

lhurley
4th November 2012, 08:06 PM
About 4 or 5 days ago i noticed that there was a whiring sound (sorry hard to explin via text) that i concluded was the auto. the sound started out to be faint and would go away after driving for about 10m. But the sound got worse, louder and took longer to go away. Once it got to its loudest it started to become intermittent, i could drive home from work and it would be there nearly the entire way home from startup, but then the next time i drove it wouldnt make any noise at all. regardless of hot or cold start.

Today i changed the fluid to transmax z, as recommened here, and it seemed to help.
When i moved the car before changing the fluid, no noise.
When i moved the car after changing the fluid, full noise, no change.
I then went for a drive and it was heaps quiter but still there, i then let the car sit for 20 mins and went for a drive again, the noise was still there but very faint and could notice the auto was nicer.

But when i went for a drive just then, about 4 hours after last drive, the noise is still there and it is the same as it was before i started.

I am planning to change the oil again next weekend as i didnt drain the torque converter so there is still bad oil in there.

My question is, will doing another change in about 200km help or should i just take it straight to an auto shop?

Bigrig
4th November 2012, 08:37 PM
I'd be going straight to a reputable shop mate - autos are technical beasts and any noise like you describe should be checked out ...

Others may have advice on what to do, but my two cents is get it sussed out sooner rather than later

threedogs
4th November 2012, 08:43 PM
X 2 go get it serviced before it costs you too much, my bloke recommends once a year

lhurley
4th November 2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone know of any decent places in south bris?

NissanGQ4.2
4th November 2012, 08:50 PM
x3 from someone that has rebuilt a patrol auto box. Forget the changing oil, and go straight to an auto shop

johno90
4th November 2012, 08:53 PM
Dont forget it takes about 20l of oil to fully flush a patrol auto. but defiantly sounds like you have hit rebuild time.

Lowy44
6th November 2012, 10:25 AM
And make sure they dont overfill it. I just had my tranny serviced before towing camper trailer for 5 hours. Went for a drive up some dirt roads the next day, got back to camp, cracked a tinnie and sat down admiring my wagon when I noticed tranny fluid all down the side of the car. It had been pouring out ofrom the breather under the front left wheel arch. Checked the dipstick whilst running, and it was an inch above full. Drained about 2 liters from it and all was fine.