PDA

View Full Version : Front Hubs not locking properly???

Pegged
22nd June 2010, 08:34 PM
Has anyone experienced this.

Lately my front right hub hasn't been locking properly.

it does engage but I cant seem to fully rotate it.

It only turns about 9/10ths of the way.....hard to explain!

I know it engages into 4wd but is this something I should get looked at or is a DIY job possible?

Cheers folks!

4.2 shorty
22nd June 2010, 09:05 PM
Is this a GQ or GU?

I know the GU's auto hubs are a bag of crap. They wear out and don't engage properly, making a clicking sound when you're driving. Our GU did this and when I took it to the mechanic, he said the hub was shagged and it cost me about $110 for another one.

You could get a set of second hand GQ hubs.. they aren't auto ones and are much better. OR, if you wanna do it cheap, you can unscrew the hub off the wheel and take the auto locking mechinism out and make them manual locking hubs like the GQ. You won't have the auto lock feature obviously... but I would much rather have to get out of the car to lock them in than have an auto hub fail. Besides, needing to get out to lock in your hubs gives you a good reason to get out and look at the track, stretch your legs, take a leak etc. hehe.

Pegged
23rd June 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your advice Shorty. I'll look into it!

Mark
29th June 2010, 11:19 AM
My old cruiser did this, never fully rotated properly.

had it like that for many years and it seemed to be ok.

It also was locking ok but being an old cruiser they get sloppy after a while.

I don't think i would stress too much if it almost fully rotates.

If it was only half a revolution I would then be concerned.

YNOT
29th June 2010, 06:35 PM
If you want to convert your auto hubs to manual, this pic shows the part you need to remove.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000882Small.jpg

Complete unmodified hub is on the right, modified hub on the left with the removed auto locking mechanism beside it. The auto locking mechanism just leavers out but it does take a bit of force to do it.

Tony