PDA

View Full Version : Which Mount for an IPad2 ?

Drew
4th November 2012, 10:48 AM
What are people using when mounting their ipad in their patrol (eeeewwww).
Fixed or suction ? What brand ? How do they find it and whether they would use some other method instead (20/20 stuff) :biggrin:

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/RAM-RAM-B-316-1-AP8-Universal-No-Drill-Vehicle/dp/B004309FL8/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ram/index.htm#apple

TPC
4th November 2012, 12:32 PM
The Ram suction mount is great, went accross northern Simpson, 8 days without a track and the mount never came loose.

oncedisturbed
4th November 2012, 01:26 PM
I have the fixed versionto the dash

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Clunk
4th November 2012, 01:33 PM
I don't have an iPad but do have an Android tablet....... also have a ram mount, fixed to my dash. Bloody great.

megatexture
4th November 2012, 01:41 PM
I got a fixed one also and bolted it in the compartment above the stereo so when its disconnected the ball cant be seen but the ram mounts are an awsome unit

Clunk
4th November 2012, 01:49 PM
Not mine from http://www.ram-mount.com.au/ and received it the day after ordering.

Drew
4th November 2012, 03:41 PM
Had a quick look at the ram site and got all confuzzed. All these bits, which ones do you get ?

Clunk
4th November 2012, 05:04 PM
I'd get the universal 10 tablet holder, and yes there are quite a few mounting options, just a matter of deciding which one you want...... The ram mounts you see in amazon and eBay have just incorporated 2 separate parts......... Southern insight just list everything separate.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

megatexture
4th November 2012, 08:22 PM
I saw the universal mount but it was a good 20~30 bucks more if not i would have gotten it

Cuppa
6th November 2012, 08:26 PM
Could folks with iPads mounted in your GU Patrols post pics together with the details of the mount. I intend to use my ipad3 as a GPS navigator so your pics would be really helpful in deciding what to get.

Thanks
Cuppa

megatexture
7th November 2012, 12:00 AM
all parts size b

base x2 (RAM-B-202)
long double clamp (RAM-B-201-C)
ipad holder (RAM-HOL-TAB3U) can hold ipads with rubber cases and even flip cover cases

i think all up it was like $80 the ball is discreet where it is mounted so when not in use its not visible
and the pad isnt obstructing my view.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22173
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22174
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22175

billy bleed
22nd May 2013, 11:23 AM
Ram mounts ++++++++

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 02:00 PM
Mega I like that ALOT!!

Did you take the box out to bolt an nut it in or are they just self tapping screws into the plastic??

That's great! I was going to use Velcro into the pen ledge and a dot behind onto the days to old the iPad in position in that slot but I like what you have done! You have no trouble changing gears and stuff?

Cuppa
22nd May 2013, 02:25 PM
Mega I like that ALOT!!

Yes I like it a lot too. Despite the Patrol being a large vehicle, space inside the front cab is pretty limited & difficult to find a spot for the ipad that doesn't get in the way or lend itself to a 'cluttered' feel.
Unfortunately for me the dash in my DX is different, I don't have that space between the two air vents, instead the two air vents take up the entire width.

What model Patrol is yours Mega? Maybe I could find one at a wreckers & do a switcheroo?

In the meantime my wife continues to hold the ipad which is mostly a better solution than many on the market.

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 03:53 PM
Yes I like it a lot too. Despite the Patrol being a large vehicle, space inside the front cab is pretty limited & difficult to find a spot for the ipad that doesn't get in the way or lend itself to a 'cluttered' feel.
Unfortunately for me the dash in my DX is different, I don't have that space between the two air vents, instead the two air vents take up the entire width.

What model Patrol is yours Mega? Maybe I could find one at a wreckers & do a switcheroo?

In the meantime my wife continues to hold the ipad which is mostly a better solution than many on the market.

Cuppa

Hey Cuppa you have a GUIII dash. Mega is a GUIV and completely different. Sorry mate

Stropp
22nd May 2013, 03:53 PM
I bought the same one as mego and it works a treat, still moves a bit but i fixed that by having the weight of everything on the wing nut inside the compartment so its got a solid base to rest on, works a treat.

Cuppa
22nd May 2013, 04:07 PM
Hey Cuppa you have a GUIII dash. Mega is a GUIV and completely different. Sorry mate

Bugger! I guess I'll stick with my wife then, though I hardly dare refer to her as my ram mount. :D
At least it confirms that I have a GU III.
Cuppa

threedogs
22nd May 2013, 04:13 PM
brave man indeed Cuppa, brave man indeed , please confirm later that Mrs tea has read this.
with the Dx ute being "different", is it poss to make a small shelf across the top of windscreen
and make something that "flips down"

@ Mega what model is yours as that dash is different again series 4 ???

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2013, 05:06 PM
brave man indeed Cuppa, brave man indeed , please confirm later that Mrs tea has read this.
with the Dx ute being "different", is it poss to make a small shelf across the top of windscreen
and make something that "flips down"

@ Mega what model is yours as that dash is different again series 4 ???

Its a Series 4 and later 3D, he has fitted an after market Stereo.

Mine is identical to his. the glove box at the top that Mega has used is where they fit eh Factory GPS in the TI models ;) Us plebs get the glove box.

Cuppa
24th May 2013, 08:10 PM
... the glove box at the top that Mega has used is where they fit eh Factory GPS in the TI models ;) Us plebs get the glove box.

Ha, that'd have to pee off the Ti owners who want somewhere to mount an iPad.

megatexture
14th December 2013, 12:38 AM
Sorry mudrunner I didn't see your response till now ! Lmfao I used the ram nuts like timE has

Sorry mate
Lol

paulyg
14th December 2013, 03:17 PM
This is how I mounted my ipad, maybe not for everone but works for me,
I tried one of those ram mounts that bolt to the seat mount I hated it, moved around to much.

oncedisturbed
14th December 2013, 03:24 PM
i used the same and got rid of it, mine is mounted on top of my dash infront the little dash pouch thingy

megatexture
15th December 2013, 10:23 AM
This is how I mounted my ipad, maybe not for everone but works for me,
I tried one of those ram mounts that bolt to the seat mount I hated it, moved around to much.

Good spot if you don't have a passenger airbag.
I considerd getting one of them seat or floor mounts glad i didn't now lol