PDA

View Full Version : GIC Campers - NEW 2012 OZ TRAVELLER CAMPER TRAILER PACKAGE - $3400

NissanGQ4.2
4th November 2012, 07:28 AM
Just got this emailed to me if anyone is interested: http://giccampertrailers.com.au/limited-time-limited-stock-oz-traveller/

Cheers

Toddie

The BigFella
4th November 2012, 09:02 AM
I drove past their yard in Sydney this week and they had camper's everywhere. Looks like they are over stocked, make the most as they're quality doesnt look too bad.

mudski
6th November 2012, 09:28 PM
From what I have read they are the poorest quality built trailer. But for that cash you could buy it and make it better....

NissanGQ4.2
6th November 2012, 09:44 PM
From what I have read they are the poorest quality built trailer. But for that cash you could buy it and make it better....

I have read the same, but I guess for that price one shouldn't expect it 2 be of top qualty

Steveo_the_Devo
7th November 2012, 06:53 PM
... and don't expect too much after sales service either.

I prefer to only buy once and buy right. Too many experiences of buying cheap and getting frustrated when it fails or needs modification to stay functional.

MEGOMONSTER
7th November 2012, 08:24 PM
Might need to look into this as I fell through the front door of the tent last night, a bit too many JD's, tent now gone to tip.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

mudski
7th November 2012, 11:08 PM
Might need to look into this as I fell through the front door of the tent last night, a bit too many JD's, tent now gone to tip.

Do you own a GIC camper? Whats your thoughts on it if you do?

MEGOMONSTER
8th November 2012, 05:49 AM
No not an owner but would consider a camper trailer, I would probably prefer a caravan.

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2012, 06:34 AM
No not an owner but would consider a camper trailer, I would probably prefer a caravan.

someone is showing there age *LMAO*

Maxhead
8th November 2012, 07:05 AM

Yeah, camper trailers have their place but for trips where you move frequently caravan it the way to go. Just walk in and make lunch,etc.
I don't know if I'm just lazy but setting up and packing everyday would be a pain the the royal ar5e

Bloodyaussie
8th November 2012, 08:47 AM
My good mate is a caravan builder and deals direct with the public so if you got a van through him you save big dollars on a yard price plus get it built how you want it....

mudski
8th November 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm still tossing between soft floor and hard floor campers. We do bit of two night camps with our two kids. So hard floor will be a lot quicker but have less room and less storage space. Then I see the Jayco off road campers, even better but more than twice the price...

ova50
12th January 2013, 09:41 PM

Maybe a bit late in answering this, but will give you my views on a GIC camper.

I purchased one of their original campers when GIC first started business, (a two man operation) We bought the extreme off road. At the time GIC were having the trailers made by another company at Milperra NSW. GIC would only fit up the tent tops and accessories.

We owned it for a little over 5 years, never had any problems with the trailer itself, was well sealed except for how the tail gate seal was fitted. The tent top had a few leaks particularly around the stitching. some Coleman sealer fixed most of this.
At the time some of the accessories they were fitting looked quite dodgy. The use of pop rivets to secure water tanks & tailgate kitchens was one thing I noticed. I opted to buy and fit my own accessories, (water tank, tool box, tregg, etc)

The tent base frame was made out of a flimsy 20mm box section and only 1.2mm thick and would bow quite easily, also the need for more mounting screws on the original frame. I welded up a new frame using 20mm x 40mm and 2mm thick, this fixed the problem. Other areas that need some additional work were. The trailer wiring, crap. The rear tail gate seal, crap. Jerry can holders required some foam to be stuck to the trailer sidewalls as the holders were a bit too large for the jerrycans. A bit of work bought it up to scratch for us.

For a budget camper I was faily pleased with the unit. I sold it last year and a couple of people that looked at it, did mention the trailer was a lot better built than the current ones.

Now GIC manufacture their own trailers, and have been doing so for about 3 years, I have not personally seen one, but I have been told that the welding on the trailers is questionable. The words "spot welded" being used a few times. This would be one area that needs to be looked at.
Also if they are still addicted to pop rivets, and whether the guy at GIC still has a mullet hair do.

Lemo79
2nd July 2013, 09:01 PM
We have a 2010 GIC Offroad version and are very happy with it. We new we were buying on a budget. We found the trailer to be very solid and considered it a blank canvas. Weve added a toolbox, drifta kitchen, pole holders, 12v, boat rack. been getting used about 4-6 times a year. Does only have slipper springs, but where not extreme 4x4, yet, could change with our latest purchase. The tent is great size for us, 6 of us, but with size is a tad longer setup, only small tear starting in a zipper on the door flyscreen is only prob so far.

Drewboyaus
2nd July 2013, 10:43 PM

Dude, it's a lot harder to dispose of a caravan if you fall through the front door.......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....