PDA

View Full Version : Nearly lost a wheel

russ81
4th November 2012, 04:16 AM
Got a phone call this evening from my wife telling me there was a noise coming from the car, luckily she had the sense to stop driving as the rear passenger wheel was very close to separating from the car, I'm talking a few threads left on each nut,what pisses me the most is that all nuts on all the wheels where torqued up to the factory specs on Thursday when I put the factory rims and tyres on. Now seeing that Nissan brought out there cheap gay solution of those pretty little caps, I guess I will have to torque my wheel nuts up every 2-3 days. Not real impressed I can tell you.

Guess i'll be going back to aftermarket rims again.

Rant over.

Sent while temporally motionless

my third 256
4th November 2012, 06:07 AM
you need to check after 100 km then thighten again then should be fine that is what i do
and have no dranas

threedogs
4th November 2012, 06:44 AM
I'm not convinced the rear wheel was on the little lip 100%.
But just rechek after 20-30 k re tighten and you shouldn't have
any issues. Let the Missus know its safe to drive incase she has lost a bit of confidence.
My wife would have kept driving on 3 wheels then ring me and say I think I have a Flat.
LOL, good to see your wife diagnosed problem early, hats off to her, buddy
Pic is of what you can do with ones that have fallen off.

Bloodyaussie
4th November 2012, 08:53 AM
I did lose a wheel on a corner... the round about before the corner it felt really vague in the front then came up to round about and off came my front wheel.

Lesson for those that dont double check any work done by yourself of a tyre fitting place.

russ81
4th November 2012, 12:22 PM
Just to add a little more info for everyone, the wheels where checked and re-tourqued on Thursday after around 150km and the wheel was 100% correctly seated, this is why I was so surprised with this occurring.

BigRAWesty
4th November 2012, 12:27 PM
Are the nuts the right angle leading edge to the wheel??
No matter how tight you have the nuts, if there not right they won't stay tight..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

russ81
4th November 2012, 12:29 PM
I'm going to be checking the rim today for any irregularities to the stud holes

megatexture
4th November 2012, 01:48 PM
Don't be fooled into thinking its only the nissan genuine alloy rims it happens to ive had it with steel king rims also and ive got a torque wrench that lives in the car and have still had issues and check mine religiously

nissannewby
4th November 2012, 01:48 PM
Due to the nature of it the passenger side wheels will more than likely be the ones that always come loose. It even happens with steelies although not anywhere near as much as those factory alloys. The best fix would be to use left hand threaded studs on the passeneger side of the car.

russ81
4th November 2012, 04:32 PM
On a slight side topic I have 10 factory rims with 2 different offsets, anybody know why?

threedogs
4th November 2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe off different models ??? check the holes in the rims that nearly came off
they will elongate, throw them away or make a hose reel or let me know and I'll whack them
on my camper

BigRAWesty
4th November 2012, 07:57 PM
On a slight side topic I have 10 factory rims with 2 different offsets, anybody know why?

If one set is 16x7 and the other 16x8 more the offset will be different to reduce scrubbing and over hand

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

russ81
4th November 2012, 08:28 PM
Both sets are GU IV+ 17x8 alloy factory rims http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/8.jpg

BigRAWesty
4th November 2012, 09:47 PM
No good.. Owell betta send me them and I'll test them for you.. ;)

In all honesty, unless it's 15+mm difference in the off set I don't see how it'll be an issue.. Just keep them attested paired, sets would be best..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

russ81
4th November 2012, 10:13 PM
Funny you should say that as the difference is 15mm, they are matched sets so its not a drama running them. I will be selling them shortly though to go back to aftermarket rims.

threedogs
4th November 2012, 10:16 PM
Heres an option for you my road and camper wheels, my muddies are on steel
Is one set of Ti and other off a DX ?? So they are 17" Maybe one set off abs 4x4
my manual says 8jj x17 has 10mm off set
8jj x 16 10mm off set, but only to 2009

russ81
4th November 2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah both 17" and both off St models,

They look the goods in black

threedogs
4th November 2012, 11:42 PM
They are actually Charcoal metallic, just depends on angle. Look good on