PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for dual battery management.

Troy
11th November 2010, 09:14 PM
Fellas, whats your experiences or recommendations with dual battery management systems, Brand wise.
I own a 08 gu 3ltr and want to tow camper trailer, run fridge and what ever else I can pack in for the weekend. I got a teenage daughter who winges alot when the pc ain't packed.
Regards Troy

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 09:46 PM
Hey mate - don't have one currently, but did in previous truck. Doesn't matter so much what brand I suppose, as having it setup right. The next one I'm getting will see the deep cycle battery in the trailer, and not the car. I'm not sure about the electrics at all, as I had it installed by a mate who was an auto sparky, but I went for a setup (relays?) that ensured the deep cycle charged whilst the car was running as normal, but drew no cold amps from the car battery whilst not running (again, normal) - HOWEVER, this is where I get confused, I also had the ability to 'flick a switch' and the car could run/start off either battery (for emergency/backup), but the fridge and power outlet in the back etc could ONLY run off the deep cycle ... confused? Me too ... what was the question?? LOL

TimE
13th November 2010, 12:40 PM
For the money and excellent backup service you can't go past Redarc products I believe. Check their website (http://redarc.com.au/products-and-services/sbi-series-dual-battery-isolator).

Good pricing can be found on ebay, like this site (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REDARC-DUAL-BATTERY-SOLINOID-ISOLATOR-suit-4WD-ect-/300491503909?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f6b07925) for example, I have no affiliation with either product or seller.

big_fletch
13th November 2010, 02:37 PM
I agree with Time above, i am a auto-elec and these are the main unit we fit, i even have one in my own vehicle. We Have never had a problem with a unit and i would highly reccommend them :smiley_thumbs_up:

patch697
13th November 2010, 02:47 PM
Agree with TimE...... I use & am very happy with Redarc Duel batt system both for it reliability & value for money.

But also keep in mind there are a few other really good ones out there for sure * I hope other members can post up about them.

my third 256
14th November 2010, 08:09 AM
dont forget the battery tray i got mine from arb $118
tjm and others wanted $185
even ebay was expensive used the money saved on the redark and bigger wireing and switch
stephen

beansathome
14th November 2010, 08:00 PM
dont forget the battery tray i got mine from arb $118
tjm and others wanted $185
even ebay was expensive used the money saved on the redark and bigger wireing and switch
stephen

u can get large battery trays from supper cheap for $20 http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Battery-Tray-Large.aspx?pid=214451#details im sure that will do the job and save u a chunk of cash.

my third 256
15th November 2010, 03:27 AM
that might be ok to put in the back of the patrol but not under the bonnet
with all that weight i want it secured so the battery doesnt fly around anb do a lot of damage
stephen

patch697
16th November 2010, 11:25 AM
that might be ok to put in the back of the patrol but not under the bonnet
with all that weight i want it secured so the battery doesnt fly around anb do a lot of damage
stephen

Agreed.................... the money saved buying this tray would end up costing big time in the future me thinks.

beansathome
16th November 2010, 11:42 AM
yer true they might not be as good but u will never no till u have a look.
im thinking about using one soon so ill let u know how it goes. ill probably go to ARB and have a look at theres and see if the look as stirdy or not.

macca
16th November 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm in the process of building my MacTrol for touring.

I had 2 lifeline AGM batteries so bought a tray and fitted one under the bonnet the other went in the box on the tray. the first AGM is controlled using a TJM IBS isolator the one with the battery level indicators that goes in the cab, the 2nd AGM is in a plastic box with a TJM DBS controller bolted on top.

The 2 AGM's are hooked up to a Autron dual battery guage, where you can see what voltages are happening therefore the charge status.

All this gear was in the last 4B or in the shed so I only needed the tray and some cable.

So far it works a treat and the batteries are holding good voltage so should run the fridge for a few days.

Will eventually fit a link switch for the AGMs as the link function on the TJM units times out.

Interested to hear what you end up doing Troy

Macca

tkn
2nd December 2010, 11:36 AM
Troy,
Sound like you want run a heap of stuff off the battery. Maybe you need to think 2 deep cycle batteries - one in the engine bay and one in the trailer - because one probably won't be enough. Nothing worse than having a fridge full of food and a few hot days. An 80W solar panel on the Patrol or the trailer will help, except when the sky is full of clouds. Best to make a list of all the things you want run off the batteries and the wattage of each one and add it up, then multiply by 1.5 and that will give you an approximate for your daily usage requirements. Now you can work out how many batteries you would need - if it adds up to more than three (excluding your start battery) then you might have to prune the list.

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 01:21 AM
deffinatly go the redarc batt solenoid