PDA

View Full Version : QLD Camping Trip??

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 01:36 PM
I know some are involved in 4wd clubs etc, and that most of us have enough happening in our lives to not warrant trying to fit in yet another event, but let's face it, I'm not backwards in coming forwards and reckon we should try to organise a weekend away.

I realise that it's easy to chit chat over a web forum and when some people do get together, not everyone will get along (fight, fight, fight ... LOL) but was thinking it would be good to catch up with some of you, and being that we are away camping/4wd'ing pretty much every 2-3 weeks (just came back from Janowen Hills) then camping in a big open campground where everyone can have their own space, spread out, etc would be an ideal way of introduction.

I was thinking of trying to organise a weekend away (probably at Janowen Hills again - http://www.janowenhills4wdpark.bigpondhosting.com - 1953 Inverramsay Road, Goomburra. 4362) and was wondering how much interest their would be from other members. I'll be going out anyway, and a couple of my mates usually tag along, so idea would be for others to do the same, book up a large chunk of the camping grounds, and get away for a few days of good yarns, serious track work, and maybe (just maybe) a few coldies.

PM me if interested and I was thinking the following dates, but we'll work around that if needs be - obviously more than welcome to come out for just the day, just one or two nights, whatever suits:

Friday 3rd Dec to Mon 6th Dec 2010
Thursday 6th Jan to Mon 10th Jan 2011
Wednesday 26th Jan to Sun 30th Jan 2011

Obviously anyone and everyone is welcome, so if you think it's high time you packed up the car and headed north for a holiday, are local and think a day trip would be grand, or like me, just like to get away from it all as often as physically possible, then let me know and I'll do my best to coordinate something.

That is all ... thanks for your undivided attention!! LOL

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 01:48 PM
a couple of happy snaps from the weekend at Janowen just gone ... top spot

YNOT
11th November 2010, 01:51 PM
I've been thinking it's about time we organised a Queensland/Northern NSW trip, you beat me to it.
I wouldn't mind fitting in one more trip this year so the December date is OK by me, but if the other dates are more popular I should still be able to attend. It will probably be only a day trip for me. Janowen Hills sounds good to me, as long as I get to put the muddies on and lock the hubs (and hopefully the diffs), I will be happy.
So far I've only met one forum member and spoken to 2 others on the phone, it'll be great to meet a few more.

Tony

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 02:00 PM
Bootiful mate - sounds good. You'll definitely get the chance to throw on the muddies and lock the diffs ... especially if we get a drop of rain. The track gradings are 1. Easy 2. Moderate 3. Hard 4. Extreme ... in Owen's words (the owner) if you get about 5mm or more rain, then slip the grades up one each, if you get more than 10mm of rain, then up two each, a continual downpour and everything is extreme ... take it from me, the soil out there is like teflon coated glue - sticky as buggery and clogs up everything, and some of the most slippery I've seen - that shot of me crossing the outside edge of the dam sees you going up a small incline (maybe 8 metres) at about 45 degrees - ploughed through it the first time no drama and straight up the hill, and obviously having come out of the dam and wet the track up the hill, went back around and gunned it through and up the hill, only to slide back to the bottom - absolutely no chance of getting up it ... unbelievable!! The tracks are well laid out for those who want to just cruise around and watch (easy track loops the property) and the hard/extreme are just that. They do have coin operated showers for those who want creature comforts (good showers too), and flushing septic toilets, but no running water nor power, so you need to be fairly self sufficient. Hoepfully we'll get a few interested and make a good time of it.

AB
11th November 2010, 02:08 PM
I like how you managed to sneak in a photo of your flash hot plate mate...lol

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 02:12 PM
there you go!!! - prize for AB ... I was wondering who would pick up on it after the other thread I posted for the legs I made ... worked a treat too ... did brekky (bacon, eggs, mushies) both mornings, and had 22 lamb cutlets lined up on that bad boy on Saturday night ...

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 05:54 PM
Shots 1 and 4 are both on tracks listed as "Easy" by the way ...

Woof
11th November 2010, 08:35 PM
there you go!!! - prize for AB ... I was wondering who would pick up on it after the other thread I posted for the legs I made ... worked a treat too ... did brekky (bacon, eggs, mushies) both mornings, and had 22 lamb cutlets lined up on that bad boy on Saturday night ...

Damn AB beat me to it, that's a good looking BBQ Bigrig:bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

Bigrig
11th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Doggy - it got some comments at the park as well. Bloody easy to transport in the trailer, and although the legs are a little long for normal camp fires (they stand at 500mm), it saves bending down ...

Finly Owner
11th November 2010, 11:49 PM
Scott and Tony, January would be better for me, but I can always tag on the next one.