PDA

View Full Version : Water Leaking

benno_84
11th November 2010, 09:54 AM
Hi,

Recently I have noticed that there is what looks like water leaking from directly below the passenger side of the engine. I am not hugely mechanically minded and I was just wondering what the possible sources of this are? And whether I should worry about it?

I had a look and I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I am assuming that it must be an air-conditioning line but was wondering what else it could be?

Another question? Is the Turbo Water cooled? Could this be coming from the turbo? If water is leaking where do I top it up, is it all coming from the radiator or is there other reservoirs?

I have checked the radiator levels and that seems fine.

I have a 1998 GU Wagon with a 4.2 D and an after market turbo.

Lloyd

YNOT
11th November 2010, 01:07 PM
More than likely just air conditioning water. What color is the water? If it was from the cooling system it would/should be green.

Tony

benno_84
11th November 2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Tony,

The water is not mixed with coolant (I have got red stuff in mine). The water is clean, cool and clear.

If it is the air-conditioner would you mind just explaining to me exactly where it is coming from? How is this water created? Is there a reservoir that needs to be topped up or watched?
It only happens on occasions so what actually causes it?

Lloyd

Bob
11th November 2010, 02:06 PM
Try Driving for while without Air Conditioner on and see if it still leaks. I think it is condensation from the Air Conditioner therefor is no trouble

YNOT
11th November 2010, 02:11 PM
Air conditioning water run off is simply the moisture that condenses out of the air as it passes through the evaporator. The water collects in the bottom of the heater(air conditioning) case behind the dash and drains out under the car. You will find there is more run off water on humid days. If your A/C is working well you may even notice fog coming out the A/C vents on really humid days, again this is just condensed water vapour and is quite normal. Nothing to worry about and nothing to top up.
If you ever notice water dripping out from behind the dash, it it usually one of two things. If it's clean water it's usually A/C run off water that has built up in the heater case because of a blocked A/C drain. If the water dripping out from behind the dash is green (in your case red), then you would more than likely have a split heater core.

Tony

MikeNT
21st November 2010, 04:51 PM
If it is AC run off water check that the drain tube is still good and draining below the vehicle, This water can cause issues with corrosion if allowed to run/drip on to metal surfaces. On one particular truck the drain tube had broken and the water was running down the engine block, it accumulated on the lip of the sump and corroded both the steel sump and the block mating surface causing it to leak oil.
Mike.

Finly Owner
23rd November 2010, 01:31 AM
BTW air con drains usually come out somewhere near gearbox , either on fire wall or gearbox floor hump, depending on vehicle.