PDA

View Full Version : TD 42 auto gear box doesnt feel right.

bad055
31st October 2012, 09:44 PM
I got a 1991 td42 petrol (carby model) nissan patrol with auto trans, its not feeling right. i did a oil and filter change in the box, looked real good inside, not much metal on the magnets.
The problem i feel is that it isnt kicking back properly & it seems its changing through the gears too quick. im new to 4x4's, only owning my patrol for 2 weeks, just wondered if anyone knows what im on about? lol

bad055
31st October 2012, 09:57 PM
1991 td42 petrol (Carby fed) auto feels funny. seems to go through the gears too quick into top gear. & it doesnt kick back like its should unless ya put ya foot through the floor. any ideas?

NissanGQ4.2
31st October 2012, 10:13 PM
I have merged both your threads under one in the correct section

Cheers

Toddie

Bigrig
31st October 2012, 10:14 PM
Does it have one of those EAM buttons (or whatever the acronym is?)? Possible this is set on hold starting you off in second gear and giving sluggish kickdown? That would be an easy fix - switch back to auto or power mode - power mode holds gears longer and kicks down quicker.

Other than that, if it's changing up too early then you might want to check the voltage on the TPS. Should be about 0.45 volts at idle. If too high (0.5 and above), it'll cause the box to perform as you describe - hopefully only this and not a stuffed TPS though.

bad055
31st October 2012, 10:41 PM
ok. will have a look in the morning. thanks for the info.

bad055
1st November 2012, 07:11 PM
i had a look today, the wiring under the bonnet was f'ing everywhere. So after an hour relocating the wiring to look like something, i crawled under and found 2 wires worn through. after re-hashing them together and going for a drive, i think it changed better then it did. so i think i sorted out something with the box. thanks for your help.