PDA

View Full Version : 12v enhanced lighting for camp

threedogs
30th October 2012, 09:29 PM
Hi all just received a magnified lens for my 12v 10watt camp lights from Ebay.
I thought they were the bees knees but now WOW, have to be at least x 4 brighter with the lens in place. I have these 2.5 to 3 metres high at camp. Can't wait till Cod Opening now

Winnie
30th October 2012, 09:36 PM
You coming to the Vic meet on the 16-17th?

threedogs
30th October 2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah hoping to go up with Mudski and Bloodyaussie just for the friday night, I think

Winnie
30th October 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool, should see you there then

stevogq
30th October 2012, 09:54 PM
great thinking threedog good to see people thinking out the square than going out and splash money

MEGOMONSTER
30th October 2012, 10:27 PM
3d I too really like this and would probably like a third battery to run things like lights and have a secondary battery dedicated to the fridge.
Any price on the extension light set up.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

threedogs
31st October 2012, 07:10 AM
Mego these draw very little power, I only use 18 AH motor cycle size battery at home and a 20 watt solar panel.
really cant stress how bright these are for the size, and now I've added the magnifying lens I'm like a pig in Poo.
Next camp I'll run one light for general camp lighting and maybe another down by the banks of the Murray.
I also have some extendable light poles here.

Sir Roofy
31st October 2012, 07:49 AM
Hope ya make it

Bloodyaussie
31st October 2012, 08:07 AM
Very interested in this set up John.. guess I will see it in a couple of weeks!!

threedogs
31st October 2012, 11:02 AM
Cool, got a few things in their favour, 1: they're bright, 2: draw very little power and finally 3: compact.
to me thats ticking all the boxes and about 800 lumens

threedogs
31st October 2012, 02:09 PM
Heres the light stands I make, holds a versa style flouro and a shower head.
approx 2 mtrs high extended, didn't have the heart to move the dog {Crooze},He's in
his twilight years now.
PM if interested in poles

Sir Roofy
31st October 2012, 04:13 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm
your a buggar of a man tempting us with all your
titbits
if your comming better give us a butchershook at
them

threedogs
31st October 2012, 04:26 PM
I'll put a pic of top bit here
I can't post them anymore too long

mudski
31st October 2012, 06:36 PM
You bringing them to the meet up? I'm keen on where those light came from. I'll bring my strip lights to show off but everyone will be drawn to your lights like mozzies to a zapper...i get to test my lights this weekend. Me, the wife and the kids are going to Murrundindi. Can't decide whether to put the muddies on or not as I will be by myself. I bet we'll be fighting to get a spot too...

Winnie
31st October 2012, 06:47 PM
Go muddies, I will be.

threedogs
31st October 2012, 06:48 PM
Popular spot, I'd be putting muddies on, Anyway getting plenty of PM's this is how I /you use the light.
As per pic you can put it anywhere you like, down on the riverbank next to the engine bay or next to your tarp.
I've made extension leads as we take heaps of LED lights. Even mount a short 1 mtr one to the roof rack just to brighten up the camp a bit more. Yo Mudski use those small mode switches and it'll look like a Kebab stall LOL

MEGOMONSTER
31st October 2012, 11:03 PM
Spoke to John at Outback Ideas about his lights and extendable post. Went around for a closer inspection and was pleased to see how well they are made, not that i was expecting anything different and the light is great which I have to admit they throw out a heap of light. I needed some customising done with an extra extension (cos i always want something extra) and was more than happy to accommodate and now I have light height of 3 metres. Great price and great piece of equipment to suit any camper/fisho.

Bloodyaussie
1st November 2012, 06:00 PM
Your game.. you went round to his house and you came out alive!!???

John you are bringing a sample or two with you are you not??

threedogs
1st November 2012, 06:15 PM
Come on Aussie no ones that bad, great to meet another member, he's a big unit.
hope to get there but falling down a bit more recently, but I'll bring camper, heaps of stuff,
even if I sit around the camp fire, I'm following you What the???

Bloodyaussie
1st November 2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah no worries mate.. I wanted to head off here at about 1.30pm so I dont know where that leaves you.

Still no confirmation from my mates except from Irish and he is in Ringwood...

Really want to see some of your wears including recovery points!!

threedogs
1st November 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm make friday free, well from 12

MEGOMONSTER
2nd November 2012, 11:24 AM
I got the slightly larger 26ah deep cycle gel battery, should last 5 days no charge I hope. Probably should have got a dimmer.

threedogs
2nd November 2012, 11:35 AM
26 ah is a great size for lighting, easy got yourself 5 days lighting, small solar panel like you saw would
top that battery up no probs, did you find a battery box?? You should be using LED lights in your boat off the battery pack too.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd November 2012, 02:31 PM
Going anaconda for battery box. They have the Projecta brand that has merit plug in it already.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd November 2012, 12:07 AM
This a photo of the light setup above our shelters. Probably needs a dimmer.
3D do you have the dimmers or do we get our own. 21921

threedogs
3rd November 2012, 03:17 AM
Hi Mego nah I just got it off Ebay about $10 no more. Camp set up looks great too.
Told you they were bright, but better in the bush than the burbs eh
Biting ???
Now you can see why they need to be up high and out of your face.

oncedisturbed
3rd November 2012, 06:03 AM
3D - those lights and stands etc look good, never thought of using a baby a/h battery for lighting

threedogs
3rd November 2012, 08:04 AM
Originally the idea was about cost and weight, as my idea was to run Solar lighting in the backyard.
Then the penny dropped, After working out how long the light would be on. 18 ah small battery from
Jaycar Fitted the bill. Assisted each day via our solar panel,,,,,, NEVER ran out of battery yet.

MEGOMONSTER
8th November 2012, 10:36 PM
5 nights camping with light on every night between 2-4 hours a night without charging battery and still has heap of power left in it. 22219
Plus I was charging the phone on the battery via cig lighter socket.
I just love it. Thank 3dogs.

oncedisturbed
9th November 2012, 11:02 AM
I have the same battery box but even when battery is fully charged, the charge meter still only shows medium charge??? does your battery box do the same?

taslucas
9th November 2012, 12:49 PM
I have the same battery box but even when battery is fully charged, the charge meter still only shows medium charge??? does your battery box do the same?

How do you know the battery is fully charged? Do you use a smart charger?

Tap, crackle, pop

MEGOMONSTER
9th November 2012, 01:16 PM
Mine was showing full the first three days and medium on the last two nights

threedogs
9th November 2012, 01:52 PM
ITs because you were using bugger all power.

oncedisturbed
9th November 2012, 03:57 PM
How do you know the battery is fully charged? Do you use a smart charger?

Tap, crackle, pop

have a 5 or 6 stage charger with float charge. comes up full then put it in the box and the box's meter only show med charge.

MEGOMONSTER
9th November 2012, 04:06 PM
have a 5 or 6 stage charger with float charge. comes up full then put it in the box and the box's meter only show med charge.

Put a multi meter on see what voltage you get, maybe a few dead cells

Irvs
9th November 2012, 05:32 PM
I doubt it would be dead cells, maybe just some voltage drop from a poor connection between the meter and the battery or at some other point.

Absolute ripper of a light, I've got a little 10w square one with a clamp on it and a cig plug which is great for camping and on the go repairs, so much light output for so little current draw.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
9th November 2012, 05:58 PM
showed mego the rectangle ones not as bright as the round ones but sitill compact. best little camp light i've seen for a long time

Irvs
9th November 2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah might be a different led chip or a different angled reflector in the rectangle one that spreads the light more, might pick some of those round ones up and give them a try, can you get them in black 3D?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Winnie
9th November 2012, 07:03 PM
Hey we stock those square ones at work, well not the same ours are 240V, only 10W and throw heaps of light. Looks exactly the same as that one though.

threedogs
10th November 2012, 09:31 AM
Round ones are spun aluminium the rectangle ones are grey painted
they come in 10 ,20, 50 etc watts but for camping 10 watts is heaps for battery life

MEGOMONSTER
10th November 2012, 05:18 PM
How long till you get more dome lens's

threedogs
10th November 2012, 10:21 PM
got some or order Mego wiill PM when they arrive. heres the original piece Ron did on the lights, hopefully we'll do that with our other products last july 4x4 aust mag

The BigFella
10th November 2012, 10:34 PM
Popped in for a chat with Three Dogs this week and was blown away with John's set up!
You've done an awesome job Three Dogs, great thinking behind all your gadgets.
The light poles and L.E.D. lights are fantastic, cant wait for your next shipment to come in,,,,,,,,

threedogs
10th November 2012, 10:52 PM
Only got 4 of those poles left, so thinking ones for Macca, better save one for roofy to, if anyone interested must be local as too long to post, great as I said with a battery box, or ladies could use when nature calls.
great handy item take a few frothies down the river with light stand and battery and you set ,till you run out of beer, Think Mego did ok with his

MEGOMONSTER
11th November 2012, 12:18 AM
My battery will run out before I run out of bourbon.

threedogs
11th November 2012, 08:21 AM
Handy as but once again was copied as soon as it went on th market,
just wish ppl would come up with their own original ideas instead of making money
stealing other ppls gear. I don't do it, but very tempted with amount of ppls that have copied my stuff' some gear
you cant stop copies like Bullbars and rear bars, but change the design . I'm gunna start making my 3 piece sand flags again
yes I designed the first 3 piece and we all know that was copied, but not this time. Was also he first to make rubbish bags for the rear wheel
till every man and his dog copied, but they did their own design so thats cool.

The BigFella
11th November 2012, 09:35 AM
Hey TD, the best compliment from your opposition is when they "copy" something you designed or made!
Dont look on it as a kick in the guts, look on it as the highest compliment they could have given you!!!!!

They cant help it if you come up with brilliant ideas, lets face it how many auto-mobiles are on the market today?
If it wasnt for Henry Ford and his production line approach to building cars, where we be today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take it as good karma bloke, otherwise it'll do your head in!

Lonicus
11th November 2012, 10:18 AM
Hopefully enough people, especially the members here, will realise where the originals are from and buy them from the source. I'd rather pay a bit more for the well made original and support the local blokes.

threedogs
11th November 2012, 09:04 PM
I have no idea whare or what others are made of. won't see me buy one but to many that have not DESIGNED<FITTED OR TESTED MY products pm me I;\'ll give you some numbers and theyll say they designed it and it there product, better stop had my vent and leave it at that the low lifes that copied know they're theives.

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2012, 11:01 PM
I passed on your info on to a few guys, hopefully they'll give you a call.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K

The BigFella
2nd December 2012, 05:07 PM
well guys what can I say, arrived home this afternoon from one hell of a week and alas my package was on the table as promised from OutBack Ideas!
Unpacked and have to say Im extremely happy with the purchase.
Thanks ThreeDogs, the lights are awesome!
The time taken to wrap the items to ensure they arrived intact paid off as there wasnt any damage in transit.
Thanks again for a great product at an awesome price!

Ill be telling my mates where they can get their l.e.d. lights from thats for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
2nd December 2012, 06:37 PM
Further info on these lights was on the weekend left thursday for Cod opening on the Murray. Used X 2 of these lights Thurs,Fri and Saturday night, using only an 18 ah motor bike size battery. Lights on till the Wee hrs every night, Didn't even touch the solar panel. They draw bugger all power. easy another 3 days use left easy from battery.