PDA

View Full Version : 2" Flexy Coils to get more articulation

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 05:24 PM
Good afternoon all members on this great forum....lololol

I might of mentioned this before but I've been looking at getting more wheel travel out of my suspension.
Currently I have a 2" TJM Gold setup. I'm sort of happy with it but need a bit more flex.

SO! after seeing a mate with a GU7 last weekend with 2" flexy coils and longer shocks which performed really well and looked the part I decided to do a bit of research.

What I want is a vehicle that will perform very well on the road (touring and towing), I also want suspension that will have a lot more travel than standard 2" lift for those more difficult situations.

My thought are:
Front and Rear Flexy Coils ( which ones??)
Amada Xtreme or Tough Dog Adjustable Shocks( thoughts???)
Brake hose for the rear
Brake bias bracket
Diff breather hose
Sway bar extension brackets

Will I need anything else to get a bit more wheel travel. I am NOT after extreme articulation but something that will be good on/off road????

Anyone?

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 05:30 PM
I should add the guy I went wheeling with is a member on here so C'mon Phill jump in more often mate. I won't name him yet but he's a good bloke.

And I won't mention he pulled me out of a bog either....hahahahahahah(at least it wasn't the Land Rover that was with us :) )

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2012, 05:42 PM
Hey Chris,

Mate i have an Old Man Emu 3" comp spec setup on my GUIV and i Bloody Love it! The advantage of going to a 3" lift is that it allowed me to fit Drop Boxes and i HIGHLY rate this setup! at 2" your in two minds whether your getting away with no caster correction, going a 3" you need it and there is no "Borderline"

I do not run a front sway bar at all and see No Need, and have the factory fitted sway bar on the rear with extensions. Same brake lines, no Panard correction required. I love my setup and just cant fault it at all mate.

I was in another GUIV on the weekend with a 4" lift and No Sway bars front or rear and got car sick in the front seat as did my young fella in the back seat. Terrible.

Not sure if that helps but if your looking to revisit your whole lift then its a thought.

You will get good coin for your current lift if you pull it out too.

BigRAWesty
30th October 2012, 05:44 PM
Depending on how extreme you go you may need spring retainers and drop out cones.
Aswell as extending you bump stops so your longer shocks don't bottom out..

Also you may want to fit drop boxes.
Now I say this and you may think this is weird but hear me and my crazy thoughts out.. ;)
If you fit caster corrections to suit the 2" lift you top bushes and arms are already at an angle and under tension to allow the lift.
By fitting drop boxes to suit a 3" lift your top bushes are still under a little tension but in the opposite direction. When the arms are at 'zero' you'll suspension will already be in a downward direction allowing the bushes and arms to travel down further.
Now you ask what about upwards travel. Well you need to limit the upwards travel to protect your shocks, so in theory the arms will only ever travel up the same amount..
(hope that makes sence..)

Imo I think your making a good move.. 2" springs will keep it low and stable with minimal body roll, while allowing your axils to tracer further..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 06:14 PM
Hey Chris,

Mate i have an Old Man Emu 3" comp spec setup on my GUIV and i Bloody Love it! The advantage of going to a 3" lift is that it allowed me to fit Drop Boxes and i HIGHLY rate this setup! at 2" your in two minds whether your getting away with no caster correction, going a 3" you need it and there is no "Borderline"

I do not run a front sway bar at all and see No Need, and have the factory fitted sway bar on the rear with extensions. Same brake lines, no Panard correction required. I love my setup and just cant fault it at all mate.

I was in another GUIV on the weekend with a 4" lift and No Sway bars front or rear and got car sick in the front seat as did my young fella in the back seat. Terrible.

Not sure if that helps but if your looking to revisit your whole lift then its a thought.

You will get good coin for your current lift if you pull it out too.

Yeah, thanks Dazz I am open to all suggestions. I can see the advantage of the 3" with drop boxes....nice but trying to stay within the legalities( i think)

I know this is your tourer so how's yours on tar/dirt with your trailer? Any restrictions or limitations of having no front sway bar?

Bigrig
30th October 2012, 06:18 PM
Go bigger coils if you're after serious flex, something like MR mentioned or even bigger. Mine sits lower than 3" in natural height stance, but with 5" flexi coils, it is preloaded and as such gives a comfier ride, and massive flex when off road for a car that doesn't look too tall ... Ryan's 3" medium rate springs sits his car higher than mine when sat beside each other ...

Don't forget (referring to QLD legislation here, so if it varies state to state, you'll need to suss it out first) that the legalities on height are ride height based from original - not spring height and flex per say. That is, you can have 50mm of 'ride height' increase but may actually have a 3, 4, or even 5" spring ... load rates will determine how high it actually sits. Because mine is preloaded, it wants to push away and subsequently when off road, it throws itself into wombat holes etc and gives what appears massive flex from a not overly high truck ... I even have an engineering certificate (can't get mod plates for lift up here) for the lift!!

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 06:19 PM
Depending on how extreme you go you may need spring retainers and drop out cones.
Aswell as extending you bump stops so your longer shocks don't bottom out..

Also you may want to fit drop boxes.
Now I say this and you may think this is weird but hear me and my crazy thoughts out.. ;)
If you fit caster corrections to suit the 2" lift you top bushes and arms are already at an angle and under tension to allow the lift.
By fitting drop boxes to suit a 3" lift your top bushes are still under a little tension but in the opposite direction. When the arms are at 'zero' you'll suspension will already be in a downward direction allowing the bushes and arms to travel down further.
Now you ask what about upwards travel. Well you need to limit the upwards travel to protect your shocks, so in theory the arms will only ever travel up the same amount..
(hope that makes sence..)

Imo I think your making a good move.. 2" springs will keep it low and stable with minimal body roll, while allowing your axils to tracer further..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Yeah, I 'm thinking 2" but as said before I'm open to suggestions.

One thing I don't want to do is compromise the legalities but also want to keep the ride and comfort same

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2012, 06:23 PM
maate i drove around for 2 years with the front sway bar still bolted to the radius arms but disconnected from the mounts as i needed longer connector rods when i fitted the drop boxes. I have now unbolted it and will never refit it. Simply Not needed!.

My GUIV is the Bomb mate it is my daily driver and is fantastic on the freeway, on the dirt, on the tracks, towing the camper is effortless.

And Flex? did i hear Flex?

here is a nice little shot for you mate

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/GU%20IV/DSC_5056_2.jpg?t=1294144494

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/GU%20IV/DSC_5048_2.jpg?t=1294144494

Sitting fully loaded for a 4 week adventure through the Middle and the camper hooked on. This was just North of Mt Dare.

3" OME, Drop Boxes and 285/75 R16s

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/GU%20IV/62125_436108629925_544284925_5373034_6153796_n.jpg ?t=1294144494

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah Dazz, thanks mate. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I want the suspension to do the work instead of tilting the whole vehicle. It doesn't help being a total useless prick when it comes to anything mechanical or suspension:)

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 06:30 PM
Go bigger coils if you're after serious flex, something like MR mentioned or even bigger. Mine sits lower than 3" in natural height stance, but with 5" flexi coils, it is preloaded and as such gives a comfier ride, and massive flex when off road for a car that doesn't look too tall ... Ryan's 3" medium rate springs sits his car higher than mine when sat beside each other ...

Don't forget (referring to QLD legislation here, so if it varies state to state, you'll need to suss it out first) that the legalities on height are ride height based from original - not spring height and flex per say. That is, you can have 50mm of 'ride height' increase but may actually have a 3, 4, or even 5" spring ... load rates will determine how high it actually sits. Because mine is preloaded, it wants to push away and subsequently when off road, it throws itself into wombat holes etc and gives what appears massive flex from a not overly high truck ... I even have an engineering certificate (can't get mod plates for lift up here) for the lift!!

Not after serious flex mate, just more flex staying legal
I am now realising the possibilities :)

Cheers

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 06:31 PM
Once I win the 70 milion jackpot tonight I will let you know how I got to the moon with my flex....hahha

BigRAWesty
30th October 2012, 06:34 PM
Well I'm not sure if you saw my post, but this is a stock 2" OME setup with the factory rear disconnect, disconnected..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=15434

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
30th October 2012, 07:02 PM
I hear your dilemma, it's hard to sort of have the perfect set up, as in a capable tourer and off road billy goat.
These flexi coils sound like they are the answer. hope you get your fix very interesting thread

Maxhead
30th October 2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you guys, great feedback and advice .

Once I decide what I'm after after weighing up pros and cons I will sort something out. Being an amateur when it comes to this kind of stuff makes it interesting but exiting all the same

It will be tough to get an all rounder i reckon

BigRAWesty
30th October 2012, 08:09 PM
maate i drove around for 2 years with the front sway bar still bolted to the radius arms but disconnected from the mounts as i needed longer connector rods when i fitted the drop boxes. I have now unbolted it and will never refit it. Simply Not needed!.

So with the front disconnected how's the body roll on the highway?
I'm curious as mine is a daily driver

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

megatexture
30th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Ive seen superior have superflex radius arms in a standard length, you just buy one not a pair, so you use one genuine and one s\flex arm would suit a 2 " lift. Think they were 650$
They also have front shock tower mount extensions to allow for longer shocks but involves a bit of wheel arch mods to fit
Any one tried any of these ? On a 2 " lift ?

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 12:13 AM
So with the front disconnected how's the body roll on the highway?
I'm curious as mine is a daily driver

Un-noticable. i honestly thought i would have to buy the sway bar extensions but didn't know what length so thought i would fit the drop boxes and then take a measurement. As stated, i have now removed the front completely. I am so impressed with the ride-ability that i am seriously thinking of re-fitting the rear sway bar to the GQ and removing the front disconnects and sway bar off the GQ as that thing has far far worse Body roll!

My GUIV is a Pleasure to drive and i have Never felt a noticeable body roll in this car. This current setup is about 50,000kms old now.

Ive seen superior have superflex radius arms in a standard length, you just buy one not a pair, so you use one genuine and one s\flex arm would suit a 2 " lift. Think they were 650$
They also have front shock tower mount extensions to allow for longer shocks but involves a bit of wheel arch mods to fit
Any one tried any of these ? On a 2 " lift ?

I have 50mm shock tower extensions on my GQ running a 5 inch lift and had no trouble fitting the extensions. Plenty of room.

megatexture
31st October 2012, 01:17 AM
Have to do a little wheel arch chopping to get the extensions fitted and access to the top of the shock on a gu well the ones ive looked at anyway

BigRAWesty
31st October 2012, 02:26 AM
I think you can fit 1" shock tower extensions without a body lift, but it makes it a little harder to get the top bolt..

And my front sway bar is coming out this weekend.. :) I'll see how it goes?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

robbo0001
31st October 2012, 07:05 AM
I have 2" Suspension Stuff lift, monotube shocks and HD rear springs. Have removed front swaybar, don't notice anything on the road. Awesome travel offroad, the kit came with extended brakeline, brake bias bracket, paid extra for bigger bumpstops.
Awesomekit....I wouldhighly recommend it

create
31st October 2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry NisHead its taken me a while to reply here.
Have a chat with Shane at Suspension Stuff in Brizzy.
I have never had any problems with the coils dropping out.

Phil

BigRAWesty
31st October 2012, 05:37 PM
What length shock are you running?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

create
31st October 2012, 08:10 PM
2 inch lift but using variable rate coils. I think they are King branded
The shocks are OME brand and are 4 inches longer.
I bought it as a matched set from Suspension Stuff

Ben-e-boy
31st October 2012, 10:46 PM
hey chris

you could take the shock out and flex it up until the coil is about to drop out (if you dont want retainers or drop out cones) or untill you are happy with the amount of droop. Then measure between the shock mounts and size the new shock accordingly

BigRAWesty
1st November 2012, 09:54 AM
hey chris

you could take the shock out and flex it up until the coil is about to drop out (if you dont want retainers or drop out cones) or untill you are happy with the amount of droop. Then measure between the shock mounts and size the new shock accordingly

Great idea.. It would be interesting to see how long a spring is unloaded compared to loaded..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Ben-e-boy
1st November 2012, 01:55 PM
Great idea.. It would be interesting to see how long a spring is unloaded compared to loaded..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

there is a bit of difference in length. in the rear of mine I dislocate the spring about 70mm ish (4 inch flexy coil) and I have a fair bit of down travel