PDA

View Full Version : Retreads - waste of time!

Bagheera
29th October 2012, 06:26 PM
I needed some tyres for a trip away, and decided to take a gamble on the cheap retreads often advertised on eBay and Gumtree.

I bought a set of 5 x 265/75R16s on BF Goodrich cases (strong sidewalls) and proceeded to head off on the camping trip. I got maybe 150kms before I heard a "thunk" from the rear. I initially put it down to something on the road, right up until we stopped for some of the convoy to refuel. I noticed that I had lost a tread block from each rear tyre.

We proceeded with the rest of the trip, covering about 500kms all up. Over that period we did some gravel tracks, rocky hills and two water crossings (depth was about 2/3rd tyre height). I didn't lose another tread block until we hit the highway going home. On the highway I lost another 5 tread blocks, so a total of 7, split 3-4 on the rears. Fronts were fine.

The tyre dealer did give me a full refund and put my old tyres back on my wheels (inc balancing) at no cost. He claimed it must be due to a bad batch or a heating problem during the mould, but either way I'll never buy them again.

Pics to come.

threedogs
29th October 2012, 06:36 PM
Motorway tried it and failed, I used to Run 33" Mongrels didn't expect them to last long they didn't
Think they called them remoulded, but delaminated very quickly Steer clear its a safety issue

MudRunnerTD
29th October 2012, 07:27 PM
A re-mould is actually different to a re-tread. A re-tread is literally just that! A new layer of Tread laminated to the top of the carcass. A re-mould is from bead to bead and is a far far better option if you have to make that decision.

The Mongrels pictured above did a great deal of very good off roading before Simex took over the world.

AB still to this day runs a set as his bush tyre on his GQ. I have a set for my Zook.

A new seller is currently listing a re-tread copy of the Mongrel. Beware

threedogs
29th October 2012, 08:08 PM
I'll have to PM AB see what size he runs this one is brand new. got fingers burnt when they went under.
motorway were suppose to replace the lot but they took my tyres knowing they were going into receivership.
could of been worse, great value at $180 a corner

Winnie
29th October 2012, 08:41 PM
Thought AB was running Federals now?

AB
29th October 2012, 08:43 PM
A re-mould is actually different to a re-tread. A re-tread is literally just that! A new layer of Tread laminated to the top of the carcass. A re-mould is from bead to bead and is a far far better option if you have to make that decision.

The Mongrels pictured above did a great deal of very good off roading before Simex took over the world.

AB still to this day runs a set as his bush tyre on his GQ. I have a set for my Zook.

A new seller is currently listing a re-tread copy of the Mongrel. Beware

I'm not running those anymore mate as they got too low....Coming back from Loveday 10 hours on the hardtop wore them down too much.

Safety issue was always an "issue" to me but I actually can't complain...lol...They served their purpose amazingly well from long bitumen trips to rocky climbs to muddy tracks but you would rather feel safe not having these IMHO.

threedogs
29th October 2012, 08:57 PM
And you don't cry as much when you rip the side out of one. either

Bagheera
29th October 2012, 09:56 PM
Pics below.
Pic 1 is the two tread blocks that came off side-by-side. These came off within minutes of each other and caused some serious vibration in that tyre.

Pic 2 shows the location of the 4 missing blocks from the tyre in Pic 1.

Pic 3 is the first block that went missing on the other tyre. It lost another from that inside edge and 3 more from the inside-middle row.

I made the purchase hoping to get 6 months out of the tyres, and not being concerned if they wore quickly or suffered from some chipping, as the entire set would be replaced before the middle of next year in preparation for a big trip. They didn't even last a week!

Bloodyaussie
29th October 2012, 10:08 PM
Did you not notice any vibration ?? I lost a small part of my old A/T's and the shake in the steering was unbearable ......

Pretty crap but lucky the dealer did not try to stuff you around and fixed you up.

wildgu6
29th October 2012, 10:36 PM
Motorway tried it and failed, I used to Run 33" Mongrels didn't expect them to last long they didn't
Think they called them remoulded, but delaminated very quickly Steer clear its a safety issue

Off topic. Hey TD you got a shot of the fella in the back ground. Looks awesome mate, love it,

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

Bagheera
30th October 2012, 12:20 AM
Have just retyped this post coz dont wanna turn this thread into a retread v new tyre $$ value comparo, but can i ask roughly how much are retreads/remoulds?
$75ea for the tyres. $90ea fitted & balanced.

Each block that flew off caused a little more vibration, but when I lost the two next to each other it got quite bad at around 80-90km/h. Driving in to take them back this morning, anything over 60km/h started to get really noisy, and the vibration seemed to get worse.

Picked up a secondhand set of 265/75R16 Dueler ATs for under $300 to replace the Grandtreks that are down to the markers. Just trying to line up a set of 16x8 steel wheels to mount them on so I can do away with the alloys. The Duelers have over 50% tread left, so they should last the 6 months I need out of them.

BigRAWesty
30th October 2012, 12:56 AM
Why get rid of the alloys??

And for $70 a tyre I see why there still popular..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
30th October 2012, 07:03 AM
He's a lump of a unit, names Tyson only about 3-4 yrs. but quiet dog.
As for the remoulds I didn't think they were made anymore.
colour looks different but its charcoal metallic. use the sunnies for the muddies

Also what sizes are available, Mongrels had a very low speed rating.

Bagheera
30th October 2012, 09:28 AM
Why get rid of the alloys??

Steel wheels can be beaten back into shape if damaged. When you're hundreds of Ks from the nearest town, that can be an advantage. It's all prep for a big trip I'm planning with my brother, where we will need to be self sufficient for extended periods of time.

The alloys also have a problem with the wheel nuts potentially coming loose if the rim isn't seated properly.

Bloodyaussie
30th October 2012, 09:51 AM
He's a lump of a unit, names Tyson only about 3-4 yrs. but quiet dog.
As for the remoulds I didn't think they were made anymore.
colour looks different but its charcoal metallic. use the sunnies for the muddies

Also what sizes are available, Mongrels had a very low speed rating.
Should have named him "James".......!!!!!!!

Just missed out on some cheap road tyres.. should have bidded higher now I think about it.

The Yokohamas I have on for the road are at the end of there life and keep going out of balance, need a set of 265's cheap!!!

threedogs
30th October 2012, 01:48 PM
Unless your going on Expedition haven't heard of too many these days belting steelies back into shape.
No point driving that hard whilst touring, Weekend stuff you tend to drive harder

Why james ??

Bloodyaussie
30th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Just looks like a James... I like human names for my pets!!!!

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2012, 04:40 PM
Just looks like a James... I like human names for my pets!!!!

Thats interesting! I call my little Bloke "Monkey Guts" does that count?

Bagheera
30th October 2012, 05:11 PM
Unless your going on Expedition haven't heard of too many these days belting steelies back into shape.
No point driving that hard whilst touring, Weekend stuff you tend to drive harder
Yup - big expedition for ~8-10 weeks. Starting in northern QLD, across NT to WA, then back down to the top of SA, back up through NSW/NT/QLD. A lot of it will be just 2-3 vehicles and need to be as self sufficient as possible. Not planning on driving hard as a rule, but a lot of remote area work, and you can't always predict the conditions and hazards.

Steel wheels are just one more little insurance policy in case I do hit something too hard and bend the lip.

GQ TANK
28th December 2012, 12:27 AM
Are these the highway brand tyres from ebay?

I hadve a set of 32 mongrels that I use as a play tyre - but just ripped the side of one - was looking at getting a couple more from the mob in sydney

krbrooking
30th December 2012, 08:46 PM
IMO I would not go anywhere near retreads if I was going to be using them on roads or going to be doing over 60 km/hr.

Drewboyaus
3rd January 2013, 06:18 PM
x2 KR.
They're the front line in keeping you from crashing into stuff. Best brakes, steering and suspension in the world won't stop you if your tyres are crap.....
I spare no expense for either my wife's or my vehicles when it comes to tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo
11th January 2013, 02:13 PM
I tried to get a re-tread done but the tyre shop told me they will not do them anymore