PDA

View Full Version : My Marine Tank

Warnie
29th October 2012, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,

As if I don't have enough hobbies and sports to play, I am entering into another one... Fish Tanks.

My little brother has 2 marine tanks and I love them. So beautiful to look at. I scored a 4'x2'x1.5' tank with a 4'x1'x1' sump tank of my girlfriends brother for free and figured why not give it a go.

I cleaned the other tank and got rid of the big Plecco (sucker fish) that was living in the tank previously and painted the stand yesterday. Was a big job as it was pretty dirty.

I need to find a glazier in brisbane to drill 2 holes in the bottom of the tank for the return water and the durso stand pipe and source a 2500L/hr pump and skimmer and get a weir built and the pipework to get it started.

Here is the picture of the tank with nothing in it as it stands today. More to come later. Oh and I will try and source some pictures of my brothers set-up to post as well. His moray eel is awesome.

I want some clown fish, a blue tang, a yellow tang, an emporer angel fish, some school fish (maybe cardinals), anenomes, a heap of coral, some peppermint shrimp, some mushrooms, maybe some little crabs and a bicolour dottyback.

Warnie
29th October 2012, 01:21 PM
Well it didn't take me too long to work it out. Here are some of my brothers fish and his tank set-up.

Warnie
29th October 2012, 01:23 PM
Some more pics

Warnie
29th October 2012, 01:25 PM
The rest of the pics

macca
29th October 2012, 01:25 PM
Got a pond with stacks of Goldies outside that runs an aquaphonics set up for the hanging plants on the verandah and a 330litre fresh tropical inside. Great to just watch them. Neons, tetras, flying foxes, angels, glass catties, bristlenose, red tail sharks all sorts.

threedogs
29th October 2012, 01:26 PM
Friend I know has a huge Murray cod that out grew the tank.
But you have to admire a great salt or freash water set up.
keep the pics coming

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2012, 02:20 PM
My mate has a massive Murray river long neck turtle that he ran over stopped picked it up and took care if it to release back but the kids feel in love and never went back. Murray ( turtles name) is great to watch especially when we catch a ship load of yabbies and just drop em in he tank. He just chases them down and just keeps nipping at the tail till they can't use it and you can literally here the crunch under water through the tank when he bites down.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2012, 02:25 PM
I had a friend in North Melbourne/Kensington had a three storey townhouse had a massive three storey fish tank with the stair well wrapping around the entire tank, it was the most extravagant fish tank I have ever seen. They use to get scuba diving fish tank cleaners, (family was well off). I think her dad was an ex north Melbourne president or Melbourne president or something like that

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

macca
29th October 2012, 02:26 PM
Havn't thought of changing to salt as I'm too lazy to keep the maintenance up to them.

Is that correct the salt tanks are sensitive and you need to keep an eye on the balance etc?

When we go away the fresh tropical seem to do OK as long as they are fed, do a water change when we get home.

As its normally winter when we go away they seem to survive.

Warnie
29th October 2012, 02:46 PM
They are a little more sensitive, you really need to control the pH, alkalinity, calcium and nitrate build up in the water.

They are more work than freshwater, but they are way cooler IMO. The brightness of the fish and the corals you can get, there is just no comparison for me.

macca
29th October 2012, 02:57 PM
They are a little more sensitive, you really need to control the pH, alkalinity, calcium and nitrate build up in the water.

They are more work than freshwater, but they are way cooler IMO. The brightness of the fish and the corals you can get, there is just no comparison for me.

They really are the best

gunning1987
25th February 2013, 06:46 PM
Are they really expensive to set up and maintain?

olmav
5th March 2013, 06:45 PM
got big barra in apond hand feed them