PDA

View Full Version : Shudder on pull off

Cadbury
10th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi all,
I have a 1999 GU 4500 auto and I have noticed a shudder when pulling off.
It only seems to be there when the steering is turned and I pull off.
Has anyone else had this problem and know what it can be.
Cheers
Cadbury

YNOT
10th November 2010, 09:33 PM
I've had this exact problem in my first GQ, it turned out to be limited slip shudder from the rear diff. I replaced the rear diff oil with 85w140 LSD oil (sorry can't remember what it was called, but it said on the drum it was suitable for use in V8 supercars!!!!) and never had another problem after that. I'll see if I can track down the name of the oil.

Tony

edit; it was Castrol SAF-XA.

the ferret
10th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Mate, check your front wheel bearings for freeplay, when the wheel is turned, if the wheel bearings are loose, the brakes can bind. also there may be a prob with engine or gearbox mounts.
other than that, there may be a problem with the torque converter (ouch)

Cadbury
10th November 2010, 09:48 PM
Tony,
Thanks mate I will try the oil change first before I do any mechanical changes.
Thanks guys for the rapid responce.
Cadbury

cruiseliner
14th November 2010, 02:40 PM
Cadbury

Hey mate my 4500 auto does the same esp when accellerating hard on right lock on mine its def from the rear diff its the internals working more than an issue well on my one anyway. changed oil but still the same spoke to a diff expert and was told its how they are but id get a second opinion on yours dont take my word for it.

Scott

Wotan81
15th November 2010, 02:53 AM
HI. I have a 1995 GQ2 RX Turbo-D, just purchased. When I take off in first, there's a rattle in the engine, sort of like old bones. It doesn't seem to be a grinding of gears, it's not that sharp and aggressive. It also seems to come from under the car, not forward in the engine bay. Are there some linkages of sorts in the engine which might make this noise on takeoff?

Cheers,

Lin

YNOT
15th November 2010, 06:25 AM
The first thing I would be checking is for loose heat shields or anything else loose under the car.

Tony

deano
20th November 2010, 12:35 AM
check the uni joints slip joints and yokes for wear and movement
cheers deano