PDA

View Full Version : rolled patrol

jstnmaller
28th October 2012, 05:05 PM
some pics of previous patrol i rolled 4 times down the hill with no seat belt on and fractured my spine

Winnie
28th October 2012, 05:07 PM
Yikes, that's no good!!

threedogs
28th October 2012, 05:16 PM
Glad to hear you're ok.
and we learn't what????

Biscuits
28th October 2012, 05:19 PM
Looks like you are not someone who does things by halves... I complain about the bush pin striping :( Glad you're reasonably unhurt and walking

wildgu6
28th October 2012, 05:28 PM
Sheesh, Good to see you not as messed up as the Trol mate.
Looks pretty messy. How did the insurance look after you??

Tappn the App Beers on Tap

MEGOMONSTER
28th October 2012, 05:45 PM
Nasty bump you there.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

jstnmaller
28th October 2012, 05:55 PM
yeah insurance was good except i didn't make a police report and the claim was over 20k so i was investigated but found to be in the clear so they paid out. The only reason i had my seat belt off was because when i was going up the car slipped and turned sideways so i stopped and was going to get out and have a look to see what i could do but the drop off was to big so decided to stay in the car but i could not put my seat belt back on because of the angle it was on and it slipped a bit more and started to roll.

jstnmaller
28th October 2012, 06:00 PM
The bloke in the picture was in the passenger seat and was lucky he had his seat belt on, as you can see the roof crushed down in front of him and was about 20cm from him.

growler2058
28th October 2012, 06:05 PM
F!@KN lucky man!!!!!!!

Sir Roofy
28th October 2012, 06:15 PM
It can happen so easyly

AB
28th October 2012, 07:07 PM
I was about to ask if you had a passenger. Very lucky mate, cheers for the pics!!!

wildgu6
28th October 2012, 07:20 PM
The bloke in the picture was in the passenger seat and was lucky he had his seat belt on, as you can see the roof crushed down in front of him and was about 20cm from him.

Shaken not stirred, and straight for the smokes lol,

Woof
28th October 2012, 08:25 PM
Glad you both were OK mate, it amazes me the amount of people who as soon as they get off-road do not wear their seat belt..........you had a good reason, but others don't.

Bloodyaussie
28th October 2012, 08:29 PM
Good you are still with us... I had a very close call once in my Hilux and since then seat belt is always on..

lorrieandjas
28th October 2012, 11:24 PM
Wow - glad all were OK. Lucky there. So often I have seen stuff like this happen in a blink of an eye.

04OFF
28th October 2012, 11:31 PM
Thats nasty :jawdrop:

Lucky you survived that, looks like if the tree didnt stop the car when it did, the drop off got even steeper ?

krbrooking
29th October 2012, 08:27 AM
Glad to hear you are both ok man. Shame bout the rig though were you able to get all our acc out from the car or have you had to start over from the beginning.

jstnmaller
29th October 2012, 04:21 PM
Everything was a write off and all was covered by insurance so started all over again with the gq shorty in my profile pics and then bought the other gu. A tip I was given after it was to carry a peg in your car so if you do need to take your seatbelt off you put the peg on the belt before the retractor and it stops it from going back in and no matter what angle your on you can always put your belt back on.

jstnmaller
29th October 2012, 04:23 PM
I was lucky that tree stopped us, it was another 50 metres before another tree in the way and who knows how many more times we would of went over.

Bloodyaussie
29th October 2012, 04:24 PM
Everything was a write off and all was covered by insurance so started all over again with the gq shorty in my profile pics and then bought the other gu. A tip I was given after it was to carry a peg in your car so if you do need to take your seatbelt off you put the peg on the belt before the retractor and it stops it from going back in and no matter what angle your on you can always put your belt back on.

Yeah thats what I keep forgetting to do... I am off outside to find one now!!!!

gaddy
29th October 2012, 08:53 PM
lucky escape there , we got a couple of seat belt clips for the local auto store you just clip them over the seat belt . holds the belts in place , only a couple bucks

ozzymalone
30th October 2012, 12:39 PM
Lucky man! Good lessons to be learnt no doubt!

Bullet
20th November 2012, 01:22 AM
seat belt can save lives sometimes, saved mine 7 yrs. ago!

gunning1987
25th February 2013, 04:48 PM
ouch...thats gotta hurt, Hope everyone is safe tho....

olmav
5th March 2013, 06:25 PM
thats crazy mate yeah pretty lucky

jm2004
22nd March 2013, 07:27 PM
I'm glad too at least you survived this, although very sorry to see the vehicle. It's interesting I found this link today while only last week I saw a 4WD with ROPS in it. I never thought of it seriously (although I always put the cargo barrier on), but that ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) looks really solid / robust. Quite expensive but maybe something worth a consideration.

Watchdog
27th March 2013, 02:00 AM
dam man sorry to hear about your injury hope all gets better

Squalo
27th March 2013, 02:07 AM
I'm glad too at least you survived this, although very sorry to see the vehicle. It's interesting I found this link today while only last week I saw a 4WD with ROPS in it. I never thought of it seriously (although I always put the cargo barrier on), but that ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) looks really solid / robust. Quite expensive but maybe something worth a consideration.

Patrols actually roll pretty well, they have a solid pillar/roof system. A look at jstnmaller's pics may suggest otherwise, but that's four rolls, a pretty rare occurance, and even then it's protected the occupants pretty damn well.

Having said that, a roll-over system is not a bad idea. Cargo barriers provide a surprising amount of roll-over protection, especially for the backseaters. I have given a bit of thought to an integrated roll-over/ cargo barrier system, a roll bar behind the front seats and a strong cargo barrier might mean my kids survive an incident unscathed. I should stop thinking and start actioning.

Dominator
27th March 2013, 06:43 AM
lucky escape there , we got a couple of seat belt clips for the local auto store you just clip them over the seat belt . holds the belts in place , only a couple bucks

A bloke that I know taught me to put a cable tie around the seatbelt where it feeds through the top loop bit. Do that with your seatbelt on when you are Offroad and the belt can't retract.

JulianMan
3rd April 2013, 07:20 AM
Lots of luck! with something smaller you could have died!

thatpatrolbloke
24th May 2013, 09:29 PM
shit happens all we can do is to try to prevent it good to know you are out ok

arfa
9th June 2013, 08:34 AM
ouch that would have hurt

Nvd323
15th June 2013, 10:38 PM
Woah you did a good job of that!

TheLocksmith
21st June 2013, 12:44 AM
Very lucky indeed. Who are you insured with?