PDA

View Full Version : Two quickies!!!

steve4377
28th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Hi team ZD30. Took off that plastic guard under the front (which was of course cracked) whilst getting at the fan belt tensioner. Intend to leave it off and not replace it. So I take it that it doesn't really do much or will there be a tear in the space time continuum if I leave it off?

Also I used the manual and took off a bung rear door electric window switch. Anyone know where I can get on one at a decent price. They seem to be around $80 new! and $50 on ebay.

Any thoughts,

Cheers and luv ya work..

Steve

Yendor
28th October 2012, 04:29 PM
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't bother replacing the plastic splash guard, better off replacing it with a metal bash plate.

Send Nizzbits a PM for a price on the window switch, he's normally cheaper for genuine parts.

You could try pulling the switch apart and cleaning the contacts or just spray WD40 into the switch and continually work the switch for a couple of minutes (switch disconnected from vehicle).

Did you try swapping the switch with the switch from the other rear door to confirm the problem is with the switch?

Cheers Rodney

taslucas
28th October 2012, 04:52 PM
I take it that it doesn't really do much or will there be a tear in the space time continuum if I leave it off?

Steve

Hahahahaha i like that one:) sad thing is that most dealerships would have you believe it will happen

steve4377
28th October 2012, 05:28 PM
Rodney,

Thanxs mate. Yeah pulled the bung switch out and then put in the good one from the other side, and it worked no drama, so it is the switch. Then pulled the bung one apart and 'sproing' bits went everywhere! The contacts were burnt so I cleaned em up. But only guessed how it all went back together, so when I tried it again the window went down so fast I didn't even see it travel - it went like a dog shot in the ring...I have never seen an electric window travel so fast - it thudded when it hit the bottom stops - hehehehehehe. But it then refused to go back up, so I gave up on being a sparkie, and am now in the market for a new or pre-loved one.

Cheers,
Steve - Cairns FNQ.

Yendor
28th October 2012, 05:53 PM
Rodney,

Thanxs mate. Yeah pulled the bung switch out and then put in the good one from the other side, and it worked no drama, so it is the switch. Then pulled the bung one apart and 'sproing' bits went everywhere! The contacts were burnt so I cleaned em up. But only guessed how it all went back together, so when I tried it again the window went down so fast I didn't even see it travel - it went like a dog shot in the ring...I have never seen an electric window travel so fast - it thudded when it hit the bottom stops - hehehehehehe. But it then refused to go back up, so I gave up on being a sparkie, and am now in the market for a new or pre-loved one.

Cheers,
Steve - Cairns FNQ.

That's ok, you didn't lose anything by giving it a go, the switch didn't work anyway.

One thing I forgot to mention about leaving that splash guard off is you will notice that more mud and gunk gets splashed up over your engine.

happygu
28th October 2012, 06:20 PM
You should be able to pick one up from the wreckers pretty cheap.

There must be one near your location.

wildgu6
28th October 2012, 06:43 PM
Yer my splash guard got ripped off and never replaced it, but after a few water crossings and a brittle fan blade, then there were none (blades that is)
Like Rodney says, get yourself a metal one.

my third 256
28th October 2012, 07:24 PM
i made one out of some aluminium checker plate works fine