PDA

View Full Version : td4.2 non turbo upgrade to turbo etc

grumpy mongrel
10th November 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi all been an hour reading all, well some of the forum, great info, thanks. My question is I want to upgrade my gq. I was looking at extractors and 3" exhaust, but also interested in putting a turbo on her. If I put extractors etc on are they different for non turbo and turbo, or should I turbo first (this will take some to save dollars. thanks for any info I can get..cheers

beansathome
13th November 2010, 04:03 PM
Hi all been an hour reading all, well some of the forum, great info, thanks. My question is I want to upgrade my gq. I was looking at extractors and 3" exhaust, but also interested in putting a turbo on her. If I put extractors etc on are they different for non turbo and turbo, or should I turbo first (this will take some to save dollars. thanks for any info I can get..cheers

hello grump mongerl
im not sure if u no to much about how turbos work but u need a mounting position on your exaust manafauld for the turbo.if i was u i would be looking at doing the extrackters and turbo at the same time. and are u looking at a press bent or mandrell bent exhaust ?

cheers ben

YNOT
13th November 2010, 04:44 PM
An extractor exhaust system will cost about $1000 installed and increase power by about 10%. I wouldn't go any bigger than 2 1/2" on an otherwise standard engine and mandrel bent pipes are better than press bent pipes.

A basic turbo set up will cost at least $4000 fitted and tuned, and to get the most benefit from the turbo you will need a decent exhaust, 3" mandrel bent is good. A basic turbo with matching exhaust and all tuned will increase power by about 30%.

The extractors fitted to naturally aspirated engines are not suitable for fitting turbo's. Unless you plan to take your Turbo Patrol racing a properly designed log manifold (that comes with turbo kits) is all you need.

Tony

grumpy mongrel
13th November 2010, 08:11 PM
Hi guys thanks for that, it has solved my problem. I know nothing about turbo, or really mechanics so that info is what I wanted. Thank you beansathome and ynot for info. Guess have to keep on saving my dollars.cheers