PDA

View Full Version : Video diagnosis

Cuppa
27th October 2012, 07:43 PM
Does my TD42 sound in need of valve adjustment, or is this it's normal healthy sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RNHput5auI&feature=youtu.be

Cuppa

threedogs
27th October 2012, 07:56 PM
Hi cuppa when was last oil change? And was motor at operating temp when you did recording??

Cuppa
27th October 2012, 08:00 PM
Oil change done day before yesterday (penrite), engine was still cold, had been idling for a few minutes after fitting the new belts.

Cuppa

Woof
27th October 2012, 08:53 PM
Hey Cuppa, the shed would amplify the engine noise mate, what does it sound like outside?

Cuppa
27th October 2012, 09:36 PM
I'll take it out for a spin to warm it up properly & do another video outside tomorrow.
I'm thinking from the questions that both of you reckon it sounds a bit 'noisy'? Was recorded using iPad, with iPad virtually inside the engine bay.

Cuppa

Cuppa
28th October 2012, 12:16 PM
Ok, have been out, done a few kilometres over some bush tracks & got her fully warmed up. Got home & whipped out the trusty iPad again & this is the result. How do you reckon she sounds? Tappety or normal .... or god forbid any other nasty noises anyone tunes into?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFeNGqAkTl4&feature=g-upl

Thanks for looking,
Cuppa

threedogs
28th October 2012, 12:55 PM
What I hear on the laptop, sounds ok, if anything a touck clackety but nothing to worry about yet.
Book in in for early year. eh

Ben-e-boy
28th October 2012, 02:04 PM
when was the last time the tappets were adjusted? they should be done every 20k. the adjustment is 0.35mm you can afford to take them down to 0.3 that quietens them down more

nissannewby
28th October 2012, 02:18 PM
Its always hard to tell on recordings of diesels but it doesnt sound to bad. Do you know when they were last done? Under normal operation they dont normally require a lot of adjustment. I check mine every 20k like ben-e said. I checked mine on my GU last week and in 40k I have only had to adjust 2 valves and they werent that far out.

Cuppa
28th October 2012, 02:51 PM
I have no idea when last done. Although I've had the vehicle over a heat & a half now, I've only done just over 5000kms* in it. It sounds much as I recall it sounding when I bought it.

* my neighbor thinks I'm 'precious' with it, but I hope to have many years of long distance traveling in it when we are eventually able to get back on the road again....... And I take the view that I'm 'saving it for the purpose I bought it for' rather than just accruing kilometres unnecessarily. It now has 160,000kms up.

Cuppa

Benzulez
30th September 2013, 09:45 PM
Know this reply is a touch late but I have one of these as my work company car, fully loaded with tools & bits & parts etc, got it at 60,000 k now at 315,000. Been serviced every 10,000 by nissan, has always sounded like this and has never missed a beat the whole time. And I always drive it foot to the floor because of the weight.

Cheers.