PDA

View Full Version : Flares and mudgaurd removal laws

Diesel-Mate
25th October 2012, 10:17 PM
Hey all just removed my stock flares and mud guards because of the rust I could see it causing. My question is, can I get away with running no flares or mud guards or will I get defected. I have a seen a fair few around running neither. RTA doesn't seem to give me a clear answer.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715a using Tapatalk 2

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2012, 10:20 PM
You take your chances mate, I saw a cop with a 4wd pulled over the other day and as I passed the cop was pointing down the side at the wheels sticking out past the body.

Hey 400 posts, he he!!!

Bigrig
25th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Hey mate

Rear mud flaps and wheel flares that cover tyre width are mandatory in Queensland. Not sure on the other states.

Winnie
25th October 2012, 10:31 PM
Same in Vic. I don't run mud flaps and never had a a problem with cops but I know it's not legal. My mate's Daihatsu tyres stick way outside the arches and he's not had an issue either. Again, defnitely illegal though.

DIAL-A-TAP

AB
25th October 2012, 10:32 PM
Victoria = Need all 4 mudflaps and flares to cover tyre width.

A lot of rumors getting around that you only need rear flaps but not the case in Victoria....Friend got pinned the other day.

Diesel-Mate
25th October 2012, 10:34 PM
Hey mate

Rear mud flaps and wheel flares that cover tyre width are mandatory in Queensland. Not sure on the other states.

You take your chances mate, I saw a cop with a 4wd pulled over the other day and as I passed the cop was pointing down the side at the wheels sticking out past the body.

Hey 400 posts, he he!!!

I think NSW are even more strict ill have to get me some make shift mudflaps but see how long I can go with out flares thanks for the help.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715a using Tapatalk 2

megatexture
25th October 2012, 10:45 PM
i got pulled up with no flaps but i said i had just fitted the rear bar and not had time to make some up yet and they let me off lmao bar had been on for 8 months

BigRAWesty
25th October 2012, 11:11 PM
Good one mega. I'm sure you'll get away with a few mm of tyre overhang, but in SA rear gaurds are a must, fronts I'm not sure.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nickpeacock36
26th October 2012, 07:11 PM
you could fit the rubber strips around the arches over the wheels to make it comply couldnt you? Still need flaps though.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Diesel-Mate
26th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Went around to a 4wd center and had a look at some rubber flexy flares, i think they will do the job and i will get some after market mud flaps for the rear just to make it legal. The old patrol looks so beast without them though ;)

megatexture
26th October 2012, 11:01 PM
Good one mega. I'm sure you'll get away with a few mm of tyre overhang, but in SA rear gaurds are a must, fronts I'm not sure.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)
Got them fitted now but i don't think they are low enough but thats a technicality lol

Bigrig
27th October 2012, 12:08 AM
Got them fitted now but i don't think they are low enough but thats a technicality lol

Rear mud flaps are supposed to be no greater than 300mm from the ground to the bottom edge of the flap ... apparently ...

megatexture
27th October 2012, 01:06 AM
That should be alright then i thought i herd it was 100mm off the ground

Bigrig
27th October 2012, 08:25 AM
That should be alright then i thought i herd it was 100mm off the ground

It was a friendly lad in blue that informed me of this, so again, I assume 300mm is the mark for up here ... mine was a touch over ... but he accepted that was to do with the lift and tyres and suggested I replace them - which I'm doing anyway as I've lost one in the bush ...