PDA

View Full Version : Onboard air query.

portal pat
10th November 2010, 01:50 PM
Am about to build an onboard air setup. Have heard that using a large(ish) air tank can prove counterproductive. Mine is 35 litres and compressor will pump 150 PSI. with a good duty cycle. Does anyone see a potential problem here?

YNOT
10th November 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm no expert with pneumatics, but I think the problem could be running a big air tank with a low CFM (cubic feet per minute) compressor.

Tony

Finly Owner
11th November 2010, 12:40 AM
check out the ones on ebay they look good value

im2xtreem
11th November 2010, 09:00 AM
Besides, 35Lt is A LOT of air, do you really need a tank that large. If you go for a smaller one it will provide greater usable pressure and will be much easier to mount out of harms way. I am planning an on board system myself and have already helped a mate do his and it works great. We used an old fire extinguisher with a pressure blow off valve and then used the metal extinguisher mounting system to mount to the inner side of chassis. Made the too easy! = )

CHEERS
Shayne
(im2xtreem)

portal pat
11th November 2010, 09:26 AM
The tank came free. Space is not an issue. It's going under a flattray. And I need enough capacity to reinflate 35s.

patch697
11th November 2010, 10:27 AM
The trick here is not the size of the tank but the compressors ability to recharge it so its all a case of balance between the two.

My brother has a setup with a 40ltr under his tray & a rotary air con compressor as he's air pump with a cutoff set too 160 psi so it cuts in & out itself & of course an on/off switch in the cab.

The hole setup works a treat & its fast too. re-inflate 4x 35/12.5 from dead flat to 40psi in under 2 min.

Hope this helps.

im2xtreem
11th November 2010, 11:21 AM
The trick here is not the size of the tank but the compressors ability to recharge it so its all a case of balance between the two.

My brother has a setup with a 40ltr under his tray & a rotary air con compressor as he's air pump with a cutoff set too 160 psi so it cuts in & out itself & of course an on/off switch in the cab.

The hole setup works a treat & its fast too. re-inflate 4x 35/12.5 from dead flat to 40psi in under 2 min.

Hope this helps.

Those aircon pumps are amazing! I would love to go that way with the GU but there is already enough CRAP hanging of and running of the ZD30's anyway. I agree completely though about the ability of the pump. Most reasonable pumps put out between 70-130Lt's/min but that is not a constant or under load rating. Once the tank is pressurized, you need to subtract the pump output from that the amount of air escaping from the tank while being used to get an idea of how quickly you will loose pressure. The smaller the tank the quicker your pump will refill and pressurize it. I hate maths! lol
CHEERS
Shayne
(im2xtreem)

portal pat
11th November 2010, 11:31 AM

Hope this helps.

It does. Thank you Patch.

mike
11th November 2010, 06:18 PM
wont be a problem with the endless air style comps there about 8cfm @ 2000rpm(sanden 508)

Cheers Mike

macca
12th November 2010, 07:04 AM
Ive had one of these for a few years now, they do do the job, mine has a 9 litre tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Boss-PX-07-Impressor-Compressor-Kit-board-Air-4x4-/250697214199?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5eb7e8f7

If you are going to fill a tank to 90psi an electric compressor works really hard, I have destroyed ARB compressors as they only like filling tyres to 40 odd psi so they dont get stressed. I had air bags and also wanted a rush of air for rebeading tyres on rims so fitted the storage tank.

The boss is big and bulky but they do do what they say.

I was going to fit a A/C compressor, thats on the workbench, in the Patrol but there is not enough room unless I relocate something. The boss is going to be used instead.

Be nice to have some serious air when you really need it.

Macca

justrocho
1st December 2010, 08:06 PM
you can use your existing pipework on your 4wd as a tank bullbar pipes rollbars ect just cap and fill. saves room

justrocho
1st December 2010, 08:10 PM
i fill mine before i go no compressor good enough to top up after beach with smaller tyres still will fit compressor one day