PDA

View Full Version : Matching Tyres between GU and Jayco Eagle Offroad Camper

jack
23rd October 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Patrollers,

Not sure if this should have been posted under Tyres and Rims, mods feel free to move it.

My GU is fitted with 8JJ17 alloy wheels with 275/65R17 tyres and they fit straight onto the Jayco. Seems to be heaps of room all round and I can easily increase the wheel well height if needed. What would you recommend as minimum clearance? (I don't intend taking the van to any extreme locations).
Naturally I want to buy the same size wheels for the van, and realise I need 8x17 Rims but is there any offset I need to know about? Don't even have a clue how much new rims are worth or how much I should expect to pay at the wreckers etc. Any advice appreciated.

Yes I know, where are the pics?? They’re on the way, just need to take them and load them.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2012, 09:58 PM
If your interested I have GUIV 17 inch rims here in Geelong stripped of tyres that i am about to list on eBay. I have sold a couple already and they went for $200 each.

I also have 4 275/65/r17 cooper ST off these rims I was going to sell also.

Pm me if your interested mate. You will be surprised at the wrecker!!! And forget about New!!! Holy crap! They are like $1200 each!!

Cheers MR

jack
23rd October 2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Mudrunner PM sent

HammerBuilder
23rd October 2012, 10:27 PM
As for clearance as you may know when a wheel on a trailer moves up it usually moves up n slightly rearwards so depending on the load put on that wheel there are a lot of variables. My ol rule of thumb is bout 75mm clearance behind the wheel to the chassis & above the wheel in the arch round 150 to 200mm depending how soft the springs are & wether you have shockies fitted or not. Also depends if you have independant suspension or eye to eye leafs. Hopefully theres some-1 on hear that has done already what you would like to do that wants to share their info.

If in doubt try calling round to your local trailer builder or caravan repairer as they usually have heaps of knowledge on this sort of stuff.
Cheers

megatexture
23rd October 2012, 10:36 PM
Can do an axel swap if its got leafs and you will gain alot of clearance in the arches, mainly up top unless its already set up that way but most arnt from standard

jack
23rd October 2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys, has eye to eye leaf springs and axle has been swapped. It's been setup for outback touring so plenty of ground clearance. Didn't think about the rear movement HB mentioned. I'll put one of the GU wheels on tomorrow evening, fill both water tanks (160l total), add about 200kg weight on that side and jack up the other wheel. That should give me a better idea of rear clearance.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2012, 11:39 PM
Remember that because the trailer only has 2 wheels it will not "flex" like a car. It does not need to articulate like the front and rear of a car. The articulation point is the Hitch!

When you jack it up tomorrow will you actually be asking the suspension to do Anything? No. it will remain exactly the same load but you will lift that load, it will still be loaded the same and will pivot at the hitch.

Suspension on a trailer really only comes into effect when traveling at speed and it will compress uniformly to allow for the load to travel over a bump in the road. Where your car articulates the trailer pivots on the hitch. Thats why 99% of trailers dont run a shock and only run springs. They travel flat.

other than centre ground clearance beyond that of the tow vehicle i dont actually see the point of independent suspension setups on a Camper Trailer.??

megatexture
24th October 2012, 12:28 AM
Some of the setups I've seen would give better ground clerance as you don't have the axle going all the way through but I don't see it being as beneficial as the pricetag would lead you to believe and a good example of what mudrunner is referring to is the leveling ramps you can buy to drive the trailer on. For uneven surfaces the side of the trailer just lifts

jack
24th October 2012, 12:41 AM
Hi Guys,
Good points, not going independent suspension - happy with the springs and shockers. Main reason for adding the weight is to put weight on the bigger wheel to check rear clearance between the tyre and wheel well. Van will be parked in the backyard and not connected to the car.

Cheers

jack
24th October 2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry didn't make it clear earlier, actually after steel rims not alloys, any idea what they would/should set me back?
Cheers

megatexture
24th October 2012, 06:34 PM
$100- $140 a rim ive got king rims 17x8 and i think its a -22 offset but wait for someone to confirm

MudRunnerTD
24th October 2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry didn't make it clear earlier, actually after steel rims not alloys, any idea what they would/should set me back?
Cheers

Bugger. Oh well. Alloys are stronger mate? Regardless, I have those tyres available if your interested mate, they will be going on eBay in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers MR

megatexture
24th October 2012, 07:25 PM
i must say I’ve never blown a bead in the genuine gu alloys but do it every trip out with steelies wether it be full blown or a few day leak it always happens

jack
29th October 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi MR,

Yeap interested, left you a voice msg.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
29th October 2012, 06:03 PM
Sorry had Phone trouble today. I bet it went straight to Voice Mail?

Awesome, i'll have a listen later and might give you a call or something.

Cheers

threedogs
29th October 2012, 06:12 PM
$80 to $100 for sunnies but was just going to say Runners price of $200 is very good.
I wanted 04 OE mags for my camper and wreckers were asking $400 to $600
Ended up getting 2 GQ Ti rims for $90 for both,

megatexture
29th October 2012, 08:33 PM
Doubt you will find new steelies in a 17 for under 100$