PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Air Conditioner on Nissan Gu Patrol 2001Turbo 4.2lt Diesel

Ennoiv
23rd October 2012, 04:30 PM
Hi
Can anyone help with the problem i am having with my patrol air conditioner. The compressor and clutch has been checked and the Thermo fan is working but the air con goes on and off when driving any distance towing my caravan. When not towing the van it seems to work ok. Has anyone else had this problem with their nissan. If so what was it and how much did it cost to fix. The next step is to have the thermostat and button on the dash looked at. Cheers

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2012, 04:41 PM
So is it the compressor switching on and off? Or the fans.
Either way I think it's normal for both to switch on and off, but only when towing?? Maybe it's the thermostat opening and closing which is setting off the thermo's

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

jack
23rd October 2012, 04:42 PM
Hi Enniov,

Someone will be online soon who may be able to assist. I see this is your second request on this topic within a couple of hours. Just be patient as you'll find most of the people are probably still at work and won't check the forum till later today.
Great forum, great info. Participate and enjoy.

Cheers

Yendor
23rd October 2012, 05:05 PM
If you mean the A/C temperature goes hot and cold when towing then.

There is a temperature switch in the A/C circuit that will turn off the A/C if the engine temperature gets too high.

I would start by checking there is nothing caught in front of the condenser or between the condenser and radiator.

If this is ok, I would then remove the radiator and send it out to a radiator shop and get it flow tested and clean.

I would also replace the thermostat.

janderson
23rd October 2012, 06:07 PM
Mine goes hot after about 30 to 40 minutes. I then have to turn if off for 10 minutes and then it’s cold for the next 30 to 40 minutes

nissannewby
24th October 2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds like its freezing up. You could have a small leak somewhere and are now low on gas which will give you these symptons. Also Im not sure if the patrol ac systems have them but it would hurt to check your lo and hi pressure switches.

janderson
24th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Been doing it right from the day I got the vehicle. The car yard had put in another compressor, and had it re-gassed. When it works it can go down to 2 to 3 deg C. Have tried turning the temp control up so that it sits on about 8 deg C, but still goes hot after 30 to 40 minutes. How do I check the lo and hi pressure switches. Temp taken from centre face air outlet.

Yendor
24th October 2012, 03:45 PM
Been doing it right from the day I got the vehicle. The car yard had put in another compressor, and had it re-gassed. When it works it can go down to 2 to 3 deg C. Have tried turning the temp control up so that it sits on about 8 deg C, but still goes hot after 30 to 40 minutes. How do I check the lo and hi pressure switches. Temp taken from centre face air outlet.

When it starts to get hot does the airflow coming out of the vents seem to be reduced? also have a look at the clutch on front of the A/C compressor is it still engaged and spinning with the pulley?

What model and engine is yours?

janderson
24th October 2012, 03:58 PM
yes the airflow coming out of the vents dose seem to be reduced. Its a 2002 Gu. Was a 3Lt, now a TD4.2T. Conversion done by Southern
4x4, who I purchased it from.

nissannewby
24th October 2012, 04:31 PM

The ones I have tested there is a spec in ohms for the switches. It helps to have pressure gauges as well while your doing this. If your pressures are good then your ohms reading should be in spec if the ohms reading is OL then the pressure switch is faulty. It does sound like its low on gas causing the system to freeze up and stop work then once it thaws out ( the 10 minutes you turn it) its all good to go again.

It is a possibility that if the system has been opened and your receiver/dryer has not been replaced then it could be causing issues. But I would be throwing so gauges on it first.

janderson
24th October 2012, 04:42 PM
When I first picked up the vehicle it did not have the aircon hoses on the vehicle fitted. Was told that they were wanting on new ones. So the system was open. Went back 3 or 4 weeks later when they found the compressor was faulty. They replaced the compressor (2nd Hand I now think). Then had it gassed ect.

Yendor
24th October 2012, 04:49 PM
It does sound like yours is freezing up. A tell tale sign of this is after it goes hot turn the A/C off but leave the interior fan on, within a minute or so you should see a lot of water coming out of the A/C drain tube.

Adjusting the temperature up by the temp controller does not change the temperature of the A/C evaporator it just adds more hot air to the cold air that has already passed through the A/C evaporator.

Normally the GUs have an electronic thermostat which is not adjustable. Your vehicle may now have an adjustable thermostat because of the engine conversion.

In the 3Lts the engine ECU turns the A/C on and off so they would of needed to modify this.

The thermostat is mounted to the evaporator case just behind the glovebox.

janderson
24th October 2012, 05:21 PM
I would think that it doesn’t have a adjustable thermostat because as I’m finding Southern 4x4 seems to be very dodgeie. Maybe I should take it to an aircon place.

bazz61
24th October 2012, 08:29 PM
mine does the same 4.2 d 2000 dx ute , fine when not towing, but as soon as the caravan is on in warm weather the aircon cuts out.. ive learnt to live it....