PDA

View Full Version : Fan belt tensioner...

steve4377
23rd October 2012, 12:35 PM
Yo team ZD30...

I have a problem with my ZD30. Started to hear a bit of metallic rattle sound at low revs. Inspected today and saw that the fan belt tensioner has oil apparently leaking out of both ends and the fanbelt seems to vibrate more than usual (I can see 10mm deflection when it's running).

So, wondering is it possible for that tensioner that looks like a little shockie to leak? I can get a replacement no problem, but was also wondering how do I remove the tension from the belt to allow me to slip off the fan belt so that I can safely remove the tensioner without it biting me?

Thanks in advance

Steve CAIRNS

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Steve check out the search engine ,top right side of page Marked Advanced search.
I was only reading something about this recently

Yendor
23rd October 2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Steve,

I guess it's possible for the damper to leak, normally the bushes flog out.

Also have a close look at the alternator pulley, they run a clutch type pulley and are prone to failing.

Here's how to remove the belt.

Cheers Rodney

Morton
26th October 2012, 07:48 AM
make sure you fit an original Nissan belt, similiar price to aftermarket but wont give you grief, aftermarket can be a couple of mm bigger or smaller but play up, x 2 on the alternator although this is a different sound, you can hear the bearing failing in the alternator, when you hear this replace it straighaway, DO NOT wait, I prefer to fit an aftermarket alternator without the clutch but each to there own, if you dont replace it ASAP the bearing can seize & melt the shaft causing the small clutch assembly simply to fail, as it is under tension from the belt it can do some damage, it will eat your fan but can hit anything on the way out leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere, you will want ur wife to be busty & wearing a bra to get you home so you can use her stripped down bra as a belt, or ladies stockings, I got home one night using my wifes gf fishnet stockings as a fan belt lol, wasnt on the GU though