PDA

View Full Version : engine light and whining noise

boosh
23rd October 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi guys, I've got a zd30 and a few days ago the engine light came on. At first it would be off until I drove for a few k's then come on but now it's just always on. I took it to get scanned and no faults came up...

At first I didn't notice any change with the car at all. But now I'm getting a whining noise which gets worse the higher the revs and drops down when the clutch is depressed. Clutch still feels strong, no trouble with any gears...

I have noticed a slight loss in boost... Not a lot though.

It's not running hot, still starts fine and idles fine...
Heres' a link to it on Youtube. It's not real clear but you can hear it more at the end.

http://youtu.be/4-FQ-1rEtnA

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

steve4377
23rd October 2012, 12:28 PM
My ZD30 did the same about six months ago. Called RACQ - they tested - nil fault codes. Engine ran but felt like limp home mode - could only go about 80 kph flat to the floor. Called Nissan and they stated that if the engine light is flashing it's a fault code. But if it is on steady then it can only be tripped by the water in the fuel sender in the fuel filter or by it of course being blocked - which it turned out it was. It was a Saturday and we were driving toward Innisfail. So we limped to Innisfail and bought a new fuel filter from Repco and limped on to the RACQ at Cardwell (who were bloody legends) they installed the new filter for a small fee and then showed me the gloop living and blocking the old filter. They then put some treatment in the fuel tank as well. Totally fixed the problem and she ran beautifully again and the engine light went out. Note, that after another five hundred k's I decided to again replace the new filter with another new filter as I figured that the fuel treatment stuff may have left a residue of dead bugs in the fuel tank, to my surprise the new filter had traces of bits of stuff like plastic and wire etc - I can only surmise that the bug killer worked and dissolved some sludge and freed up some bits lying in the sludge in the bottom of the tank, but anyway problem solved for me... Good luck - hope this helps.
PS: Was worried that the fuel bugs might have caused damage to the injectors but RACQ said nah...the filters do their job well and in my case they did... Also I use fuel bug killer every oil change now too.

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 02:53 PM
Is your belt tensioner free, X 2 with fuel filter too
May be thrust bearing on clutch

boosh
23rd October 2012, 02:57 PM
The first thing I did was replace the fuel filter. Maybe I'll treat it and replace it again just to be safe. I did see on another thread something about the thrust bearing. If it is the bearing, is it an urgent fix or can I drive with it for a week or so?

boosh
26th October 2012, 12:15 PM
Ok so the noise is fricken annoying! And now its making a knocking noise at idle, even with the clutch in...

nissannewby
26th October 2012, 01:52 PM
Have you replaced the clutch at all? It sounds like the dual mass flywheel has given up the ghost by the noises you describe. If this is the case its time for a solid mass unit and heavy duty clutch :)

Sir Roofy
26th October 2012, 01:54 PM
hi guys, i've got a zd30 and a few days ago the engine light came on. At first it would be off until i drove for a few k's then come on but now it's just always on. I took it to get scanned and no faults came up...

At first i didn't notice any change with the car at all. But now i'm getting a whining noise which gets worse the higher the revs and drops down when the clutch is depressed. Clutch still feels strong, no trouble with any gears...

I have noticed a slight loss in boost... Not a lot though.

It's not running hot, still starts fine and idles fine...
Heres' a link to it on youtube. It's not real clear but you can hear it more at the end.

http://youtu.be/4-fq-1retna

any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

might be a bearing in the turbo,i dont understand how you can driveaway with a dead cold motor
ever thought of warming it up first,i might be old school but my z30 always performs better after a warmup

boosh
26th October 2012, 02:03 PM
might be a bearing in the turbo,i dont understand how you can driveaway with a dead cold motor
ever thought of warming it up first,i might be old school but my z30 always performs better after a warmup

Wasn't a dead cold motor.

boosh
26th October 2012, 02:04 PM
Have you replaced the clutch at all? It sounds like the dual mass flywheel has given up the ghost by the noises you describe. If this is the case its time for a solid mass unit and heavy duty clutch :)

It had a long motor put in it last year. They put a new clutch in at the same time...

nissannewby
26th October 2012, 02:08 PM
was it a solid mass unit or the duel mass unit?

boosh
26th October 2012, 02:38 PM
Yeh not sure. Just says clutch kit on the tax invoice...

There seems to be a lot of different things it could be. I reckon I'll take it to a mechanic just to pin point it for me...

rochjas
1st November 2012, 11:19 AM

I always give mine a 5 minute warm up first thing in the morning too.... I feel it too performs better...

Dmwlking
4th November 2012, 08:14 PM
do have a english man sitting in the back seat