PDA

View Full Version : Waeco versus Engel

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 03:17 AM
The title says it all - I've always used Waecos but hear good things about the Engels. What's your opinion on them? I personally love the dual zone 80/110L Waecos but do the Engels offer something better that should encourage me to change?

my third 256
23rd October 2012, 05:04 AM
rays outdoors has $300.00 off their waecos this weekend + a cover
i like the soft sides of the outer

MEGOMONSTER
23rd October 2012, 06:09 AM
I choose my Waeco on basically price. Now I don't know how I lived without one. I like the small dairy compartment in the front comes in handy as I keep my fridge set to 0 or 1 (can't remember)
Drinks must be really cold.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

Maxhead
23rd October 2012, 06:43 AM
There is half a dozen of these threads with a heap of info in theM if you want good info. I think it's a personal choice like ford v Holden, patrol v land crab, np v p4x4....:)

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 07:27 AM
Not much difference now, Engel had the market to themselves for a long time, enter Waeco
great fridge, maybe its all down to features, current draw, and accessories. I'm with Mego I
like the Waeco with the dairy section. But my 40lt Engel has only been turned off I'd say 8mths
since 1994, can't complain, only used for food when camping, and cool drinks watching local cricket
over summer. Price may be a factor, wait till next 4x4 show in your area, great deals to be had

megatexture
23rd October 2012, 07:37 AM
Waeco i got a 80ltr dual zone(fridge freezer dairy)for 850$ at bcf a few years back when a new model came out was the price for me but also weight

Sir Roofy
23rd October 2012, 07:53 AM
Waeco for us we run two when on a big trip a 110 for everyday use drinks and food the other as a straight freezer
and bring unused frozen goods home
the boss cryovacs the meat and it lasts twice as long no freezer burn either
the little one is 35l

Steve4wdin
23rd October 2012, 08:53 AM
I have a waeco 80lt. It has the same size foot print of the engel 60lt. Go figure. I had a minor repair done last weekend to my fridge, The service department said it would of cost me hundreds if it was a engel, instead $25 to repair waeco. I believe the ARB fridges are made also by waeco. Waeco are bringing out an 80lt all fridge if you like of the old model of fridge freezer. Hope this helps.

megatexture
23rd October 2012, 10:18 AM
Nice set up roofy that's what id like to do also .
Id rather buy a fridge/freezer one as you can take out the devider and make it all fridge or all freezer also, just more options.

oncedisturbed
23rd October 2012, 10:29 AM
I have an 80 L wacko which has been great over the past few years. Also have a 50L ironman icecube which perfect on top of the drawers in the patrol and works like a dream, like a lot of others price is a factor. Paid $750 for the ironman with cover as opposed to $1250 for the same size wacko

Tap, Tap Taparoo

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks all. I know this is a hotly contentious debate (on many, many forums) but it is always interesting to hear new views on it. Interesting that the views haven't really changed all that much over time. Waeco is a great product IMO.

TimE
23rd October 2012, 12:27 PM
I have both, a 9 year old 50l Waeco that has never let me down, and a newish 37l Engel Eclipse I use as a drink fridge or freezer, works well also.

My choices where made on price, I consider both fridges to be quality gear, wait a while and good deals come along. Saved $350 on the Waeco and $300 on the Engel when I bought them.

I'm happy :)

mudski
23rd October 2012, 03:49 PM
I have a an 32L (i think) Engel. I paid $750 new for it about 15 years ago and its still going strong to this day. Probably should get it serviced one day...
That has to say something for reliability...

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 06:15 PM
Just on purchasing - has anyone used portablefridgesonline.com.au? Looks quite good and the pricing is not too bad. And does anyone know if you can buy additional Waeco baskets? Engel seem to do it but can't find any for Waeco. Might call them to find out. Reason I say is that the dual zone fridge/freezer has removable baffles and if I can get the fridge or freezer only basket then I can basically convert the dual zone as needed.

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 06:25 PM
Strange you say ARB fridges are made by Waeco. They used to have an Engel copy.
Jumping from bed to bed maybe

Must remember waeco weren't around when we bought our engels 15 yrs ago

Steve4wdin
23rd October 2012, 06:26 PM
I would ring a local service agent or weaco them selves. I think there head office is at Brisbane.

oncedisturbed
23rd October 2012, 06:38 PM
Also go to getawaeco website, factory ex demos good prices as well

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Steve4wdin
23rd October 2012, 06:58 PM
Yer found out only last weekend. Both made in same factory in CHINA.

the ferret
23rd October 2012, 07:28 PM
Iv'e got a 30 year old 60L Engel, been all over OZ, still going strong.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 08:04 PM
I hear you Ferret pretty hard to kill an Engel. Don't even think I 've heard of one breaking down.
a friend in 4x4 club had old yellow job as his freezer, freaked a few out in remote communities
pulling out the ice cream and passing them around aaahhhhhmmm ice cream

mudski
23rd October 2012, 09:06 PM
Ice Cream!!! Stuff the ice cream. Engels were made by men who drink beer, cold beer, and wanted nothing more than to keep their neck oil cold on a hot day out in the bush. And the meat frozen too for the bbq's. Those two go hand in hand. literally. One to hold the beer and the other to hold the tongs to cook your beloved and then to eat it...
My vote is for Engel just because they have proven themselves worthy for reliability. I want to sell my 32L and buy a bigger one. Now I gotta justify something else to the boss :(

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 09:18 PM
Can't keep the 32 and use as freezer only and buy another for frothies
Mmmmmahhhh Frothies

gaddy
23rd October 2012, 10:24 PM
I have had a engal for the last 10 years it has fallen out the back of a tray back , gets used in the boat , as well starting to look real beat up , but works as well as ever never been serviced , or repared , isnt the new arb the second tier plastic engal that sells a couple $ cheaper than the steel body.

Gaddy

mudski
24th October 2012, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't buy a plastic body fridge personally. If the fridge cops a whack in the side and its plastic, guess whats going to happen. If its metal the worst would be a dint.

MEGOMONSTER
25th October 2012, 07:03 PM
My Waeco has been dropped twice, first one not so bad, fell from the back step. Second time dropped it while carrying on the Murray and rolled down the embankment bout 3-4 metres on the Murray. Thank god no cans were damaged, fridge survived not a scratch and I mean not a mark at all, just really dusty so were the cans.

threedogs
25th October 2012, 07:10 PM
So what your saying is that is was like an air bag for your cans, WOW how lucky were you lol

MEGOMONSTER
25th October 2012, 07:17 PM
So what your saying is that is was like an air bag for your cans, WOW how lucky were you lol

It was like a slow mo slide and bump roll to a sandy type beach.

threedogs
25th October 2012, 07:21 PM
I hear you brother done the woobly boot, roll, swim, bounce a few times lol

mrhr33
4th April 2013, 04:38 PM
waeco man myself, although i am convinced the engel uses less power? might look at engel next time for a trial

Stropp
4th April 2013, 05:21 PM
i have a primus mamoth metal bodied with waeco fridge unit, works great and is well priced aspecially my "display" unit for work lol.

jack
4th April 2013, 05:36 PM
I ended up choosing Engel for the following reason.
My daughter sold both Engel & Waeco in the shop she worked at in Port Hedland for a couple of years, eight out of ten warranty jobs were Waeco and some were not repairable. She also said that Waeco could not cope with the humidity as well as Engel.
They have also criscrossed the country extensively and always take the most difficult route. They have two Engels and had to buy an ARB 12 months ago as they were not able to take the Engel on the plane. The ARB broke down and is in the process of being replaced under warranty, the ARB did hardly any work compared to the Engels which are still going strong. Engel cost me more than Waeco but I think it's a sound investment.
But like someone said earlier it's like Ford v Holden.

threedogs
4th April 2013, 08:49 PM
Thinking about this thread a bit and dont think Waeco were in Aust when I brought my 40ltr Engel.
Think having seen both for a few years now its an even playing field and both will throw in extras to get your business
transit bags/covers etc, current draw is similar, both are solar compatible. Down to who has the best price when you're ready to buy.

Winnie
4th April 2013, 08:55 PM
I can get Waeco at wholesale price but still got the Engel. As said it's just like Holden/Ford
My old man has had the same Engel fridge for over 30 years in his truck, got it regassed once and that's it. Mate from work has a Waeco and has had nothing but trouble with it. Not saying all Engels will last over 30 years and all Waecos are crap, just my experiences. I got the gold 40L Engel at a great price with the transit bag so snatched it up.

threedogs
4th April 2013, 09:00 PM
I ended up getting a second set of hinges so I can make the lid open from the side.
Just makes it easier as it mounted behind driver where passenger seat was.
Would like to fit a two zone but not sure if I'd get the full benefit from it.
@ Winne Gold Engel will maybe outlast even the 4.2 lol

Winnie
4th April 2013, 09:15 PM
It's exactly the same as the normal 40L engel just a different colour.

Swazi
17th September 2013, 06:34 AM
I have had a 40l Engel since 2004 and it has travelled all over the southern African countries. I got it with the cover and it has definately helped to limit the bump damage. The Engel has worked full time throughout the time I have had it and it has never given the slightest problem - this despite being powered by the low voltage swings that have ensured having to replace compressors on the domestic deepfreeze in the kitchen in Malawi. No experience of Waeco, but out of principle would stick with Engel because of excellence service on my first one.

Incidently it has been my experience that larger units are not suited to carrying in a vehicle - even a Patrol. My very similar sized Landcruiser 100 basic with ambulance doors (the UN spec version) carried 7 people and a large camping trailer through may varied travels. The fridge fit perfectly inside and kept the drinks icy as well as the baby's milk fresh, and the steaks chilled for the evening campfire. My mates 80l unit was too big for his car and although great in his off-croad caravan, mostly got left at home in the caravan because it was too big to fit his Patrol.

macca
17th September 2013, 09:38 AM
Had Engel fridges since 1982, had the first one re-gassed. Bought a newer one in 2005 as they used half the power of the first.
Haven't owned any other brands but my brother is a fridgee who has worked on lots of 12VDC fridges and he said stick with Engels.
He has stories to tell and all the issues are with other than the Engel. Our immediate family own 5 of the anniversary models and they never have given trouble.

liftlid
17th September 2013, 09:59 AM
My engle is still a young un at almost 20 years old and has run almost continually the last 7 years, just replaced the cooling fan as the bearings were noisy, great fridge, know people who have had several of other brands in that time, got a 38 lt model and found this is big enough even for 6 week trips

James2014
17th September 2014, 08:11 PM
I am not sure which to buy, the 40ltr or the 60ltr engel? Do you guys find the 40ltr large enough?

Winnie
17th September 2014, 08:15 PM
I am not sure which to buy, the 40ltr or the 60ltr engel? Do you guys find the 40ltr large enough?

Yeah I reckon it's perfect size.

Drewboyaus
17th September 2014, 08:58 PM

Is it just you or do you have a family? I've got 3 kids and we go fine with an ARB 60L.
Only thing is, if you're looking at the 60L, make sure you have enough power in your second battery.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mudski
17th September 2014, 11:41 PM

For yourself, or for you and another person the 40ltr would be o.k. Me and the missus survived on a 32L for 15years. Now the kids are here, we have a 75L we take aswell. Also, do you want to carry everything that needs to be cold in there? Food and booze. or just food and booze in an esky. I gave all my eskies away, as we have the 75L for all the food, juice and milk etc etc and the 32L just stores the booze. So no more ice to worry about.

mudski
17th September 2014, 11:45 PM
Is it just you or do you have a family? I've got 3 kids and we go fine with an ARB 60L.
Only thing is, if you're looking at the 60L, make sure you have enough power in your second battery.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hows your 60L go like Drew on the batts? My 75L I was quite impressed with it. Lasted 4 days on the two 105AH batteries. The voltage only got down to 12.7v by the fourth day. Not once the panels had to come out. And that was running light at night too.The biggest thing I found is even though I have the thermal transit bag the fridge ran colder if I had a large folded up tarp over it during the day. The temps would run around half a degree colder doing that. Regardless of weather.

James2014
18th September 2014, 05:18 PM
Most of the time it will be for 4 of people so I am leaning towards the 60 but thought I might get away with the 40ltr. I am looking at buying off that portablefridgesonline.

Bloodyaussie
18th September 2014, 05:22 PM
Most of the time it will be for 4 of people so I am leaning towards the 60 but thought I might get away with the 40ltr. I am looking at buying off that portablefridgesonline.

No way will a 40 do 4 people... I picked up a second Engel cheap and now I have no issues but would prefer a 60lt

AB
18th September 2014, 05:29 PM
I know some people here get by with a 40 litre for a family of 4 and yes you can do it but its hard yakka, a lot of planning and a lot of rotating beers if you like to drink beer.

If you have the choice now and a family of 4, 60 litre for sure.

liftlid
18th September 2014, 06:30 PM
We use a 40 lt easily when touring, if I was given a 60 lt would sell it for the smaller one as they take up too much space in the car. Fridges empty quick when travelling so you end up with wasted space. Kerry thinks she would like a freezer though so we are considering getting 2, 21 lt instead of the 40.

James2014
18th September 2014, 07:03 PM
I have a black widow setup and the centre divider and fridge slide so either way the fridge slide section will be taken up whichever fridge I get. What the thoughts on getting one with a freezer?

Dales300exc
19th September 2014, 07:09 AM
I run a cfx65 off a single battery and not once has my car sounded like it wasnt going to start. Love the thing. (Yes dual batts soon).

James2014
19th September 2014, 01:11 PM
I might as well grab the 60ltr then, no point in getting one then having to buy a larger one later. Thanks for the comments gents.

liftlid
19th September 2014, 05:37 PM
My suggestion would be to get all the food you expect to carry in a pile and see how much space you really need.

LachDiggityDog
19th September 2014, 06:20 PM
I have a Waeco CFX 65 DZ and its great! got it for a good price too $1300 with a heaps of extras

Patrol'n
27th December 2014, 10:38 PM
I still can't make up my mind, my boss has the 40lt engel and he swears by it. My regular auto shop guy swears by waeco, says he had his last one ten years, sold it on when he upgraded, and still going strong for the bloke who bought it from him. Impossible to get a conclusive answer, which makes it hard when I haven't owned one before. I'm really thinking I may have to go for the eclipse 38 lt plastic body model from engel. I just can't do the steel body price at this stage...

Anyone have any bad experiences with these? Mechanic who re gassed my air con the other day has one and swears by it, he even told me he was standing on it on the tray of his ute, and fell which dropped the fridge off the ute too, no damage that I could see. Anyone have any thoughts on the plastic body engel?

Thanks as always

Winnie
27th December 2014, 10:49 PM
Plastic Engel vs Waeco is a no brainer... Waeco all the way

sooty_10
27th December 2014, 11:44 PM
Plastic Engel vs Waeco is a no brainer... Waeco all the way

Personally after owning an engel I wouldn't even think about a waeco. My mate has gone though 3 waecos and only had issues. My engel is close to 5 years old been in the back of my ute, out on boats in the ocean and still gets to -20 in the shed on hot days. Runs perfect in the back of the patrol.

If the plastics Engels use the same motor I would definitely go engel over the waeco.

My brother has recently bought an ARB fridge though and thinks its the bee nees, but he is Toyota so I take anything he claims with a grain of salt. ;)

Clunk
28th December 2014, 12:09 AM
I've got a Waeco CFX50 and love it, Only got this one because they were doing much better deals than Engel and ARB. Never owned anything else so can't do a comparison.
It's like anything in life, there's always someone who going to bag out another brand. All I can suggest is just take the plunge and just buy one.

4bye4
28th December 2014, 12:09 AM
This will go forever.

"My brother has recently bought an ARB fridge though and thinks its the bee nees, but he is Toyota so I take anything he claims with a grain of salt"

That's a great comment sooty_10

Oh yea, iv'e got an engel. I used them for 10 years when I was working Karratha / Port Hedland in the 80-90's. Same as other posts, these went everywhere, fell of the back of the truck, even got involved in a roll over and just kept on working. Give me knobs and buttons over electronics anytime.

P4trol
28th December 2014, 01:07 AM
What about compressor styles? They say Engel has the better compressor.

the evil twin
28th December 2014, 01:29 AM
What about compressor styles? They say Engel has the better compressor.

Engel branded fridges use a Sawafuji Compressor and are the only fridge to do so.

The reason is simple, Sawafuji own Engel lock stock and barrel and have done for many, many years and won't sell or licence their compressor technology to anyone else.

The Sawafuji compressor technology they bought off a German Inventor in the 50's is simple, robust and efficient,
They chew about 25% to 33% less power consumption and work on lower voltages so you don't get those annoying voltage drop issues that plague Waeco's etc.
It is a tad noisier than the danfoss style tho.

The only Engel I have seen fail was a work one that is over 20 years old.
I also haven't had a Waeco fail as such but the low voltage cut outs on them can be a right PIA at times.

Waeco prefer to use an external 240 power supply and Engel prefer an onboard 240V solution so Engels tend to be a tad heavier and a tad less capacity for a given external size but no real biggee.

We would have about 10 Engel "plastics' at work and I have one of my own. They work fine.
I also have a couple of Evacools and they work fine as did the Waeco I had previously, low voltage issues aside

BigRAWesty
28th December 2014, 11:03 AM
If your taking about the new cfx range v Engel. Then it's a no brainer.
The cfx40 is nearly as big as the Engel 60!!!
It's stupid.

But waeco have reinstated the old cf range. Now your talking.
My brother runs the 40 Engel and I run the 50 waeco cf..
They both have a similar base size but the weaco is taller.

My bro does wish he had a dairy section. It's good for keeping those more venerable items.
The Engel has a turbo cool option. Great if you need things cold fast but yea. Mo biggie..
Both are solid units and will last a lifetime, both now have the 12 and 240 onboard so it's a matter of carrying 2 cords.

I personally like the lids of the weacos and the ability to swap sides easily is great. The Engel is open from the end only on the 40ltr.

These are just some points we talked about.

04OFF
28th December 2014, 11:40 AM
Without going into brands, id like to bring up a few things I found important when looking at fridges......

Make sure you look at your potential fridge choices in the flesh, imagine getting things in and out of it, working/opening the catch (and bag if you want one), is it a pain to open and close with one hand ?

I suggest looking at where you intend to mount the fridge in your vehicle, then consider what other gear you need to fit in the same area, take note of where the fridge vents will be, because you cant just stack your other gear over the vents as they need ventilation to work effectively, also, can you get to the fridge controls easy from the intended position in the vehicle ?

Compare the dry weight of the fridges, think if you will ever need to lift your fridge into/out of the back of the car, how much weight can you lift, extend and twist with ?, if you are not built like Arnie (or have suspension lift), this may be quite important, especially if you add the weight of a carton of beer inside the fridge ,starting your trip with a injured back is not preferable.

Personally id never buy a car fridge that does not have a drain plug, believe it or not, some do not have one, in this case the weight of the fridge is even more important as you may have to remove the whole fridge from the car and turn it over to rinse, this can also mean leaving the fridge off for a period before turning back on, meanwhile your stuff is getting warm.

lhurley
28th December 2014, 12:37 PM
I think at the end of the day, it comes down to buy what suits you best and is the best value for money. As 04off said, look at how you will use it.

I have a cfx40 and it's awesome. I've used it a bunch on 12v and 240 and its great. Uses very little power. My old man has used it a couple times and he has a sedan, fits well in there too.

megatexture
28th December 2014, 03:02 PM
Engel branded fridges use a Sawafuji Compressor and are the only fridge to do so.

The reason is simple, Sawafuji own Engel lock stock and barrel and have done for many, many years and won't sell or licence their compressor technology to anyone else.

The Sawafuji compressor technology they bought off a German Inventor in the 50's is simple, robust and efficient,
They chew about 25% to 33% less power consumption and work on lower voltages so you don't get those annoying voltage drop issues that plague Waeco's etc.
It is a tad noisier than the danfoss style tho.

The only Engel I have seen fail was a work one that is over 20 years old.
I also haven't had a Waeco fail as such but the low voltage cut outs on them can be a right PIA at times.

Waeco prefer to use an external 240 power supply and Engel prefer an onboard 240V solution so Engels tend to be a tad heavier and a tad less capacity for a given external size but no real biggee.

We would have about 10 Engel "plastics' at work and I have one of my own. They work fine.
I also have a couple of Evacools and they work fine as did the Waeco I had previously, low voltage issues aside

The waeco have had onboard 240 for a while now maybe 2-3 yrs but I'm not sure the 80 & 110 ltr are yet as there design hasn't changed

HuskyInAuz
28th December 2014, 08:44 PM
I bought our 80L Waeco dual zone in 2011 and it had 240vac/12vdc within the unit.

Patrol'n
17th January 2015, 10:28 AM
Well I've taken the plunge now and have gone with an engel 40 lt steel body model. Got a decent price at BCF, I spent ages comparing with the waeco models. I did find that there were some features about the waeco that I liked more than the engel, but with things like plastic catches on the waeco, vs steel catches on the engel, integrated temp display, steel body vs plastic and the things I've been told about engel reliability, I had to go with the engel. Interestingly, the quoted power consumption on the waeco was lower than the engel.

If I had the budget I'd get a cfx50 as well and compare them side by side, but can't do it, I need the coin for a suspension lift...

macca
17th January 2015, 12:14 PM
Well I've taken the plunge now and have gone with an engel 40..

You have made the best right decision. But I am an Engel owner of 33 years now LOL

threedogs
17th January 2015, 12:25 PM
I have a '92 model 39lt Engel I think It has rarely been turned off its on all the time and still going strong.
Best mod recently was fitting the digital temp controller and fitting an extra computer fan inside the cabinet to cool thing down a bit.
I was going to fit a "Two-Zone" to it but never did but the guys from Two-Zone gave me a set of hinges so I could hinge the lid
the other way to STD, only downside is I needed to cut the travel bag lid, no big deal.
Mine is situated behind the driver on a wooden platform [seat removed] with a transit base screwed to that,
no need for tie downs and only one hand needed to remove it, power is from 50 amp anderson connectons

Clunk
17th January 2015, 12:29 PM
You have made the best right decision. But I am an Engel owner of 33 years now LOL

no....... he's made a choice and he chose Engel