PDA

View Full Version : snorkel info gu 4.2 turbo

gaddy
22nd October 2012, 10:44 PM
gidday all
I have been tossing up about a snorkel for my GU3 4.2TD- i I do a lot of towing , 2.'5 t of boat . or a ton of jaco camper on the beaches . i have a 3inch exhaust and was wondering if a snorkel would make a noticable difference to engine cooling . and general running by allowing better air flow , I look forward to any feed back

cheers
gaddy

nissannewby
22nd October 2012, 10:48 PM
Cleaner, more flow and much much safer if driving around water. You will get slightly better fuel economy and response from fitting a snorkel. It shouldnt effect engine temps, generally your cooling system and state of tune can alter those.

Highly recommend safari snorkels too.

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 11:31 PM
X2 for nissannewby. Except I prefer the TJM/Airtec who makes the Nissan snorkel as well I believe. One thing to make sure of is the seals are tight because I've seen water ingress in through where the snorkel connects to the body rendering the snorkel pretty much a waste of time. Some people do a "bag test" where they block the mouth of the snorkel and see if the engine starves. Some arguments about that causing seals to break but I've done it to prove it before. Another thing to be careful of is bugs in some areas - a bit of stocking sorts that - but be careful to clear the stocking sometime. Seen it before where the stocking was so clogged it was starving it.

gaddy
22nd October 2012, 11:54 PM
thanks for the feed back , I have always owned petrol cruisers til now so still learing the oil burning ways , already love the fuel efficency anyways