PDA

View Full Version : Another (slightly different) winch and bullbar question

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

Been through the forums and am about to pickup a new GU8. I have had Nissan fit the steel (winch compatible) bullbar and wondering whether you would recommend I get Nissan to factory-fit their "genuine Nissan" (Warn) winch or get ARB to do it?

Any thoughts (other than price) as to pros or cons on either approach? I had the Nissan bar and Nissan fitted winch on the Navara and never had any issues but curious as to the thoughts out there? Also - any real differences in the ARB versus Nissan bar?

I know this will probably spark to the old Nissan versus ARB versus TJM debate but looking for people personal experiences with it all?

One thing I like is the factory warranty by getting Nissan to do it all.....

Jas

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 01:44 PM
If you like the Nissan bar stick with it ,cost wise I'd think you'd save heaps,
Every thing the ARB bar has so does the Nissan, eg winch compatable, fit decent driving lights.
Made by nissan for nissan whats wrong with that. No brainer for me, Nissan

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2012, 01:52 PM
It's all about the look mate. If you like the nissan bar, go for it.
And same with the winches. Both will carry warranties with there work.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't mind the Nissan bar and the Warn 9000XD that Nissan supplies is nearly $400 cheaper than ARB.

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 04:15 PM
Straight off theres $400 for something else, flowers for the little lady perhaps so you can get that front locker

Drew
22nd October 2012, 04:29 PM
Straight off theres $400 for something else, flowers for the little lady perhaps so you can get that front locker

Nice thinking there bud :)

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 04:48 PM
Kinda got lucky there - she'd rather the car was "capable" so no need for flowers!

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 04:53 PM
Sweeeeeet, go you good thing.

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2012, 05:15 PM
Kinda got lucky there - she'd rather the car was "capable" so no need for flowers!

Does she have a single younger sister??

Were the hell do you guys find these women..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 05:19 PM
In line Big Westy in line.

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 05:31 PM
Must've done something good in another life - because I'm stuffed if I know what I did in this one to deserve her! She loves camping and 4wd'ing so damn lucky man am I! Nah - no sister's so can't help you out there!

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2012, 05:37 PM
Bummer.

Well I wouldn't be shying away from $400 either, as 3dogs said its money for something else.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

nissannewby
22nd October 2012, 10:24 PM
Arent the factroy nissan bars made by ARB?? I thought they were.

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 10:42 PM
Yep they are. But depending on who you ask some say they're lighter than the ARB deluxe, maybe the same as their standard though. The only thing better on the ARB IMO is the recovery holes to put shackles on are easier to get to.

nissannewby
22nd October 2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah the bar that nissan get certainly doesnt get the fruit the ARB one does but you wouldnt give you best product to nissan to then market as theirs. Whats the difference price wise ebtween the nissan bar and a ARB delux bar?

lorrieandjas
22nd October 2012, 11:07 PM
The Nissan bar you can get for ~1600, the ARB I think was about 2300. Add to that the 400 difference on the same winch we're talking a new 80L Waeco and other goodies. I really wanted ARB bling but honestly now I think it's a lotta hype for not much more functionality. Add that Nissan has to honour any warranty issues more readily its a no brainier for me. Funny thing is 3 years ago an ARB stockist pushed me to the Nissan fitted gear - and money wasn't an issue for me to spend on ARB. He had a troll and had Nissan gear fitted - maybe he didn't like his boss!

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:42 PM
Nissan will fit an ARB bar for you mate. No problem at all i would have thought.

I have toured the ARB factory in Kilsyth Victoria and seen their production line. I specifically asked the question about the factory Nissan bars they made for Nissan and the ARB bars they put in their own lineup. Yes ARB Make the Nissan Bar.!

The ARB is significantly thicker gauge steel and is a far far better build that the Nissan bar. If you have the cash then the ARB Bar in a blink for me. If you need to then buy the winch off Nissan and ARB will fit that with their bar for you. either way either supplier will fit the other product as they are in bed together anyways ;) Dont you worry there are plenty of fully specced ARB modded GUs out there that were driven down the road to the local ARB dealer during predelivery to be fitted out with the fruit.

$400 off the winch is a Real Saving. What is the sale price? Ebay is your friend ;)

Good luck and enjoy your new rig mate

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2012, 11:48 PM
Yep they are. But depending on who you ask some say they're lighter than the ARB deluxe, maybe the same as their standard though. The only thing better on the ARB IMO is the recovery holes to put shackles on are easier to get to.

They are NOT Recovery holes sorry. I am not aware of a recovery point integrated into the ARB Bull Bar. Confirm that before you use it in anger mate??? I think you will find they are a tie down point and maybe a bridle point but certainly Not a snatch point.

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 12:28 AM
They are NOT Recovery holes sorry. I am not aware of a recovery point integrated into the ARB Bull Bar. Confirm that before you use it in anger mate??? I think you will find they are a tie down point and maybe a bridle point but certainly Not a snatch point.

Sorry - should have been more precise. You're correct - there are two holes or eyes under the Nissan bar for fitting shackles for a bridle. When I went down to ARB they actually said there was a recovery point left and right? On the Nissan bar you had to muck around to get a shackle on. Precision at night with three week old twins is a stretch but my mistake. You're also right about the ARB being thicker too - hence weighing more.

Squalo
23rd October 2012, 02:19 PM
No bullbar has 'bridle' points, let alone recovery points. The two small tangs with holes on them that are on some ARB bars are for use with a Hi-Lift jack, and you need the special ARB kit to do so:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/74.jpg

I think ARB really got it wrong to release bars with those holes and no signage warning people to not snatch from them.

The only place a snatch/recovery point should be mounted is directly onto the chassis/subframe.

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 03:18 PM
Hi Sqalo. Sorry - the area I am referring to is under the chassis not at the front of the bar. There are two holes (not tow points) which meet from the bar to the chassis. When I had the Nissan bar and took it down to ARB the ARB rep looked at them and said they were for fitting shackles. I know the holes you are referring to on the ARB bar, but these are different. I haven't ever used them (use the winch) - any thoughts as to what they are?

Squalo
24th October 2012, 11:23 AM
I've never looked at how the Nissan winch bar is mounted - have not seen that arrangement before. It certainly doesn't look like any recovery point I've seen, and the ARB rep doesn't seem to know what he is talking about on that one.

nissannewby
24th October 2012, 12:19 PM
The holes that it mounts to are factory tie down points as far as I know.

threedogs
24th October 2012, 12:37 PM
As someone said it might be in the construction, some are 3mm the better ones are 4mm
Think this is for animal strikes etc. Weight difference would be minimum.
Early ARB bars had recovery points on the bar but they tore so they beefed them up by welding a washer on
This is all pre airbag models, I cut them off my other 4x4, Clubs don't like them, but over 15 yrs old now'

Was typing when pic came up looks like wrong bar fitted, maybe its a bar off a Ti that fits and not use all mounts