PDA

View Full Version : "The Silver Trail" Annual State Based Trip Proposal

Bigrig
22nd October 2012, 08:45 AM
Realise everyone has been taken aback with the passing of Rick over the weekend, and whilst a tragic loss, I'm sure Rick and his family would like us to celebrate the life rather than continue to mourn the loss.

As such, I'm proposing that we have a state based trip each year (can be any trip organised as a group from the forum), and dub them something like "The Silver Trail Queensland" etc in memory of our mate - a trip more dedicated to seeing this great land of ours, rather than an out and out four wheel drive play.

Photography, hunting, camping, exploring would be the basis of the theme for each to ensure as many can attend them as possible with more standard setups etc. For those that attended the Condamine trip in Queensland, something along those lines is what I'm thinking - doing things and going to places we normally drive straight past - doesn't have to be a thousand miles from home and can be done over a long weekend or something - very family oriented also.

More than happy to be the coordinator for the QLD one, and would encourage people to put up their hand in other states and take ownership (as it were) for organising other states.

Over to you for your thoughts on the concept, the naming convention for the trip, and when and where it should be held each year - thinking (and just my thoughts) that it would be nothing short of awesome if there was one weekend per year when the forum was just about empty, as each state was having the trip at the same time, doing a similar type of run, all in remembrance of a mate who loved the outdoors and all this great land has to offer.

Cheers
Scotty

Winnie
22nd October 2012, 08:51 AM
BigRig: the big man with a big heart.
What a fantastic idea.

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 08:57 AM
X 2 Big Rig maybe a small donation from all attending [optional]
towards Bowel Cancer Research, ??

Also thinking SILVER STAR award for forum members,

Sir Roofy
22nd October 2012, 09:00 AM
Excellent idea mate we have some fantastic places down here
photografic scenes galore

Dhuck
22nd October 2012, 09:12 AM
Bloody good idea mate.

2TROLLFAM
22nd October 2012, 09:12 AM
Awesome idea BigRig ... Never knew Rick personally but I think he'd be smiling at the idea ;)

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

Bigrig
22nd October 2012, 09:35 AM
Can't take all the credit all ... been getting bombarded with suggestions from members for differing types of remembrance ideas, so taking their lead and running with it - well done to you all!!

Sounds like its a bit of a winner of an idea, so we'll let this thread run a bit more, then I'll pop up a poll for state based coordinators for the first ones with the plan from there to lock down locations and timing ... doesn't have to be in the coming months, but a national long weekend holiday would be a good one I'm thinking.

There's a tonne of places for a casual camping weekend around south east QLD that would accommodate for photography, some easy wheeling, hunting etc all in one trip.

Thanks all.

Bigrig
22nd October 2012, 10:16 PM
A wee bump just in case some missed it ...

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2012, 10:33 PM
Top idea BR.
Rick sounds like he was a great man with loads of knowledge, so I think a touring trip would be tops. And state by state is also a top idea. It gives the poorer of the group a chance to attend when the tracks are closer to home.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca86
22nd October 2012, 10:49 PM
For a qld drive 2 suggestions. 1 I have 3 properties we could camp at for free out stanthorpe way just chill out go to wineries shooting and day trip through sundowner national park fish swim the Severn river pub dinner at ballandean pub day trips from dirty weekend book or there is a pig hunting place out west he went to that Fran may know where you can camp etc.

MudDonk
22nd October 2012, 11:09 PM
Im in guys great idea, what better way to to celebrate the life of a great fella, than doing something we all know he loved to do, lets get on it all :)

Bigrig
23rd October 2012, 01:35 PM
For a qld drive 2 suggestions. 1 I have 3 properties we could camp at for free out stanthorpe way just chill out go to wineries shooting and day trip through sundowner national park fish swim the Severn river pub dinner at ballandean pub day trips from dirty weekend book or there is a pig hunting place out west he went to that Fran may know where you can camp etc.

Top stuff young fella - sounds like I just took a step back from organising the first one!! lol. Or does that make us a committee??

Thanks all

macca86
23rd October 2012, 03:08 PM
Id go a partnership I can arrange place to stay pub dinner if you can sort dates and numbers. Just need to confirm with land owner. Gather ideas and make an outline for weekend activities

Yendor
23rd October 2012, 05:16 PM
What a fantastic idea guys, it's a great way to honour a great man.

scotty83
23rd October 2012, 08:23 PM
glad u bumped this bigrig. I had missed it. Great idea. love it.

megatexture
23rd October 2012, 08:53 PM
if you call it a committee you can have meetings and organise it over a few brews ... Bah who needs an excuse lol.
Ill be keen to join in specially for a good cause, i think its a great idea.

Dhuck
23rd October 2012, 10:21 PM
Can I be on the committee. I'll be the Executive Gofer. lol.

Damn excellent offer Macca and there is also Mechlou (louise) property out that way. I would dare say she would be in as Bec and Sandra started teeing up something for out that way.

hekarewe
23rd October 2012, 10:32 PM
luv in this idea count me in!!

oncedisturbed
24th October 2012, 12:09 AM
Loving the idea, who running the WA trips ?

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Woof
24th October 2012, 01:42 AM
Loving the idea, who running the WA trips ?

Tap, Tap Taparoo

I am sure that we can find someone...............bloody great idea there Scotty

macca86
22nd March 2013, 08:19 PM
So are we still looking at doing something? Maybe on the anniversary of his passing. Also how is the family I see the profile is no longer active

nickpeacock36
22nd March 2013, 08:26 PM
If we are. Count me in Macca.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

hekarewe
22nd March 2013, 08:27 PM
i think it would be a dam fine idea if we can this of the ground and happening

macca86
22nd March 2013, 08:44 PM
Same here good man I'd hate to have it all talk. Hell the Simpson desert crossing could be a fundraiser for cancer and get sponsors on board to help cover the trip

macca86
22nd March 2013, 10:50 PM
Sounds good mate. Well done Louise on the marriage. Glad it's not forgotten about I'd feel I'd Ethan him down if I was not part of arranging something

04OFF
23rd March 2013, 02:31 AM
Macca, as Scotty suggested, NO WAY on earth was this idea was ever "not" going to happen !

If it had not already been brought up, It was going to be one of the first things i planned to suggest when my car gets going, and personally for me, id like to go back to Camp Lake Fire at some stage too, i have my fondest memory of Rick at that place, that and Mount Mee, oh and Bribie, and.....

You know, now and then someone bumps an old thread, and i see a old post from "silver", i can't help it, i still look hoping to see that little green light on. :frown:

Anyway, getting Fran and Eliza to be involved in a trip when they feel up to it, is most important, they know Rick best, so its only fitting they have as much say in the first trip as they wish, and it will be great to catch up with them both regardless !

macca86
23rd March 2013, 10:24 AM
I know what you mean about the old posts.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd March 2013, 04:59 PM
I know what you mean about the old posts.

x3 I have the same feeling :(