PDA

View Full Version : Drawer legislation?? If any

bmaynard55
20th October 2012, 08:26 PM
Most the way through putting in some home made jobbies when was wondering if there is any rules around whether you have to have them secured or if they have to be removable? Was gonna use the old rear seat holes to bolt em down but dont wana have to get back in there and rip out all my work next rego check if I do.

anyone had a run in with their MVR or insurance after a crash?

MudRunnerTD
20th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Looks good mate, I doubt you will ever have a problem mate. There is no rule on securing your belongings inside the car. Common sense will prevail. If you are using the factory seat bolt holes then you on a winner anyway ;)

threedogs
20th October 2012, 09:24 PM
X 2 with runner every man and dog has put drawers in his 4x4 at some stage.
like you want ,some are removable. Still I'm not a big fan as they weigh in around 80kg to
start with, and things just get piled in there all the time. plus you carry them around [weight]
all the time too. But thats all we have for storage ATM. Look good by the way, don't forget a false roof for some light gear
Thats what I like get the bulky stuff up high, pillows, blankets etc.

the evil twin
20th October 2012, 10:44 PM
You will have issues in some states. Not with the draws as such but with the missing seats.

Not sure exactly which states but I believe QLD insist that you get the vehicle compliance to state the reduced seating capacity IE if you have a 7 seater and take out the third row, you have to get a mod plate showing the seating capacity is now 5... remove the rear seats and it becomes 2.

W.A. don't even have inspections so Pffft and the other states are somewhere in between.

If you keep the same seating capacity, seat belts etc or utilise bolt holes for options or whatever that aren't used from factory in your spec vehicle... or are in a "who gives a rats" state then it is no issue

Airstrike
20th October 2012, 11:12 PM
Hi mate, Evil twin is correct. When removing or replacing the 3rd row of seats and you are either going to 5 or 7 seats in total you must have a mod plate reflect the change. In regard of and Legislation or regulation governing rear drawers there isn’t any I know of. You will find your insurer will not cover the drawers unless they are a permanent fixture, that said many insurers are becoming easier to deal with when it comes to simple mods like that.

bmaynard55
21st October 2012, 03:28 PM
Cheers guys
Used to live in SA who don't care but bout to maby have to transfer to NT with work so gonna have to go through the whole road worthy check. Guess we will see what they say

MudDonk
21st October 2012, 06:42 PM
If you have kids mate, and use anchor points for child seats you will also have to get them re engineered if u cover up the factory locations.

zmaster
21st October 2012, 09:59 PM
Only legislation in NSW, is that items meet ADR by being securely bolted down in cargo area, and even then, only an issue if you are selling the product and claim it meets ADR. Stricly speaking, you cannot add anything to the cabin, so extra gauges and monitors, sat navs on windscreens, I think, are all non compliant, as for the seats, I think that as long as the original mounting holes are not tampered with, the seats can and should be replaced when selling the truck to meet compliance. No law says you can't carry crap in the back of your truck, and cargo barriers are not mandatory, so you would think drawers securely mounted is a better and safer option regardless of whether store bought....So much for quick reply..LOL