PDA

View Full Version : Our Patrol ( a few questions?)

ova50
19th October 2012, 08:05 PM
Only bought our 2010 DX 3.0 litre auto a week back and had only clocked up 150ks in the last week, until today.
Took it for a run from home and up the freeway and back, a 215k round trip.
I was quite impressed by how the vehicle drove. It surprised me.
Questions I have are:
In the consul there is a two position switch marked AT, has power on one position and auto the other.
What does this switch do ?. I didnt notice anything different when I pressed either, except for the light coming on.

Fuel: This is the first diesel I have owned, Any recomendations for brand or maybe what not to put in it.?

I know a lot of factors come into it but what mileage would one hope to acheive ?
Not towing our van ( I know the van will hurt my pocket) , average day to day or highway driving.

I drive fairly easy, using the throttle like there is an egg between my foot and the throttle. ( I cant help it, my dad was a economy nut & I think I inherited the same gene) The wife is a lead foot.
Am going to refuel it tomorrow to see how much it used.

I got the car yard to take the tyres off our trade and fit them to the Patrol, they had only travelled about 1000ks and are Yokohamas, 265/75/16. Compared the speedo against the GPS and seems like a good move. At 100kph and 110 on speedo, the Gps showed 99kph and 110 respectively.
Going to get them re-balanced at my local tyre shop, has a slight shimmy at around 105ks.

I was given log books etc, but at the moment we are preparing for a trip around the country towing a 16ft van, the log books etc are packed away, will find them and take them with us.
Thanks
Daryl

Maxhead
19th October 2012, 08:11 PM
Only bought our 2010 DX 3.0 litre auto a week back and had only clocked up 150ks in the last week, until today.
Took it for a run from home and up the freeway and back, a 215k round trip.
I was quite impressed by how the vehicle drove. It surprised me.
Questions I have are:
In the consul there is a two position switch marked AT, has power on one position and auto the other.
What does this switch do ?. I didnt notice anything different when I pressed either, except for the light coming on.Power will stretch each gear to a higher RPM before it changes, auto is just that. On my old 2008 automatic I also had "hold" which would take off in second gear for snow/slippery conditions

Fuel: This is the first diesel I have owned, Any recomendations for brand or maybe what not to put in it.? I have recently found Caltex Vorted diesel to be really good with the CRD otherwise BP

I know a lot of factors come into it but what mileage would one hope to acheive ? I get 11l/100, towing 2.7t van I get 19l/100 but its a manual

I drive fairly easy, using the throttle like there is an egg between my foot and the throttle. ( I cant help it, my dad was a economy nut & I think I inherited the same gene) The wife is a lead foot.
Am going to refuel it tomorrow to see how much it used. the CRDs like to be reved so don't be shy

I got the car yard to take the tyres off our trade and fit them to the Patrol, they had only travelled about 1000ks and are Yokohamas, 265/75/16. Compared the speedo against the GPS and seems like a good move. At 100kph and 110 on speedo, the Gps showed 99kph and 110 respectively.
Going to get them re-balanced at my local tyre shop, has a slight shimmy at around 105ks.

I was given log books etc, but at the moment we are preparing for a trip around the country towing a 16ft van, the log books etc are packed away, will find them and take them with us.
Thanks
Daryl

answers in red

threedogs
19th October 2012, 08:13 PM
11-13 around town with 265s, jack it up and check wheel bearings , better depending on driving style the Power button allows or holds the revs longer

ova50
19th October 2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks Nisshead for the info, that switch had me stuffed.
(forgot to ad, that "CRD" had me stuffed, till my brain finally worked it out)

Threedogs mentioned wheel bearings. Is this a known problem area or just or a precautionary inspection.

Thanks again for the assistance.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 09:09 PM
Nah just worth checking one less thing

ova50
19th October 2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks Threedogs,
will jack it and check them out, have noticed a couple of things that need doing to it but nothing major.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Take a long screw driver and check all the bushes too, wouldn't think too much wrong as a 2010 model
With that BP fuel you'll find you get more bang for your buck good drop

megatexture
19th October 2012, 09:31 PM
I’ve worked out some averages for my car so far ive got a 09 gu auto

All test done with bullbar,sliders/brushbars,roof rack, steel rear bar,winch.
These ranges are done over 6tanks of fuel

33s mtz. With Steinbauer Power Module:
18l/100 - 22l/100

33s mtz. no Steinbauer Power Module:
17l/100 - 21l/100

Original tyres (275 65 r17) with Steinbauer Power Module:
14l/100 - 16l/100

Original tyres (275 65 r17) no Steinbauer Power Module:
14l/100 - 19l/100

The worst ive had was 28l/100 but that was heavy towing in hi range 4x4

threedogs
19th October 2012, 09:39 PM
Far out Mega thats woefull Sitting on 110 towing my camper I get 15/100 and 13 around town.
Heard the Cr were thirstier but wow, and I run 285s and 305s

megatexture
19th October 2012, 10:03 PM
I would be led to believe its how i drive, well thats if you ask my wife lol

the evil twin
19th October 2012, 10:11 PM
First thing to do is buy a Scan Gauge or Ultra gauge or similar. Plugs into the OBD connector under the steering column and is the Ducks Guts for CRD's

AT switch - as posted by others. All it does is shift the change points in the tranny ECU, not usually that noticeable unles you tow the differences may stand out.

Fuel - BP or Caltex preferred, next choice is Shell after that be a little wary and DO NOT put any 20% plus bio-diesel in a CRD

Economy - mine is a manual and averages across all use IE med towing, 4x4, highway, beach, town is 12.5 LPH (33 inch tyres, lift roof rack and lots of extras so heavy vehicle) You should see 15 to 18 LPH with a good sized van depending on what you cruise at... that is where the Scan gauge is priceless info.

Driving style - as said prev, CRD's like to rev and like to be on boost which is why the Auto is a good box as it keeps them on song. Scangauge will help you sort it out but you may be suprised that a light foot isn't necessarily the best result.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 06:03 AM
I have a bit of a theory on this, if you get 320k-350k approx to half tank, you're doing ok.
Found most are getting around this number, this was with 285s,
Depending on tyre size 265s driving easy you may blow these figures out of the park.
33 muddies may see you struggle to get to 300.

my third 256
20th October 2012, 07:29 AM
quote I got the car yard to take the tyres off our trade and fit them to the Patrol, they had only travelled about 1000ks and are Yokohamas, 265/75/16. Compared the speedo against the GPS and seems like a good move. At 100kph and 110 on speedo, the Gps showed 99kph and 110 respectively.
Going to get them re-balanced at my local tyre shop, has a slight shimmy at around 105ks
i thought the tyers we 17 inch on this model ? if 16 inch then that would influence the spedo
i always drive by my gps anyway
ive got the ultra gauge has larger screen and swear by it here is a link to it
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

a lot of info from members on here
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13775-Looking-for-info-on-a-Scan-Tool-for-a-ZD30
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11701-found-this-scan-guage
or go to the search box in the top righthand corner and type in scangauge

Superoo
20th October 2012, 09:18 AM
Hi, just need some info on the ultra gauge is it simple to install? I've got a gu3 which I hope to put one in.
Cheers.

the evil twin
20th October 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi, just need some info on the ultra gauge is it simple to install? I've got a gu3 which I hope to put one in.
Cheers.

I think you will find the Ultragauge is the same as the Scangauge and will only work on OBDII fully compliant vehicles which for Patrols is the ZD30 CRD. Could be wrong but I'd check before buying. If it does work they are simply plug in and set your vehicle parameters

The alternative for the GU III is ECUtalk

my third 256
20th October 2012, 11:58 AM
ultra gauge only for crd s
sorry about that

Jock
21st October 2012, 07:24 AM
The scangauge 2 is smaller and can fit in dash between speedo and tacho. Just velcro down. Unfortunately Ample outdoors in Oz is out of stock so import an option. Scangauge and Ultragauge will only work with OBDII compliant vehicles. You will need as above, ECUtalk for pre 2007 patrols.

ova50
21st October 2012, 07:35 AM
Quote: i thought the tyers we 17 inch on this model ? if 16 inch then that would influence the spedo
i always drive by my gps anyway

When I first looked at the vehicle it had 265/70x16s,. on the tyre/rim sticker in the glove box it says 265/70x16 tyre size and lists wheel size 16x8.

ova50
21st October 2012, 10:23 AM
Done a run up the F3 highway and back to Sydney, clocked up 215ks.
Done some local ks as well, another 72ks. total 287.
Result 37.68 litres, giving roughly 13L/100.

threedogs
21st October 2012, 10:30 AM
Fuel figures are ok [Normal} rim size not that a biggie as its all down to diameter. EG 12.5 x 15 x 33 is the same as a 285 x 70 x 16 and 7.50 x 16.
Should be a tyre size chart in search engine I would think. Diam is approx 835mm fom memory