PDA

View Full Version : What goes in a basic fishing kit?

Flo-w
18th October 2012, 10:04 PM
Since everyone's o nice around here I thought I try a not-so-Patrol question.

I'll head off with my GQ pretty soon and think I'll pay the mighty Murray a visit before heading over to Fraser Island. And with all that water around I'd like to give fishing a try. But what gear do I really need?? What fish will I encounter and what bait / lure do I need? Should I store the rod in a PVC pipe on the roof rack?

Sorry to bother you with all the beginner questions...

threedogs
18th October 2012, 10:27 PM
We use 30 lb dyneema braid on the murray , As you never know when the big one will hit, lets call him Hank, size 1-00 hooks bean sinkers. Rod holder, bell if you like them. series 4000 style reel. plus some lures, most lures catch more fisherman than fish

2TROLLFAM
18th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Do what I did - BUY IT ALL!!!
Not much help with advice here cuz I went nuts at BCF one day & a few hundred later walked out .....

But we mostly fished out on Moreton Bay for snapper

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

threedogs
18th October 2012, 10:41 PM
Bait you would get local,scrub worms and yabbies, bardie grubs too $$$$$ or on the Murray a shrimp net with velvet soap or cat food tin pierced.use 2 shrimp the idea is they fight and the noise they make attracts fish comfy chair broard brim hat some sun block, ahhh lifes good, going to the Murray for Cod opening on the 29th of Nov ,,,,interested??? come on Flow you know you want to

sam697
19th October 2012, 02:06 AM
I would go with threedogs on bait...... scrub worms and small bait yabbies.
Although I have a few hundred dollars worth of gear, my favourite outfit at the moment is a Jervis Walker combo with a JW2500 series reel which I purchased from K-mart for $12 on special about a month ago. I am outfishing the boys with it using the above bait and and swapping out with my favourite single blade spinner occasionally.
You don't need to spend a heap in order to catch some serious fish. Scrubbies can be found anywhere damp, under logs or built up debris...

Again, with threedogs on the comfy chair, good hat, sunscreen and a few brews if you are not driving...... Have fun and remember even a small fish on your line counts :)

threedogs
19th October 2012, 09:26 AM
Flow you can't beat fishing, the serenity, oooh the serenity. Even a bad day is good, If possible you should drop into the Cod classic at Yarrawonga.
This is for the crazy and not so crazy, but huge prizes available. some try to cheat by teathering fish before the event. plenty only fish once a year
at this event

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 09:44 AM
dont forget your old fashion black spinner bait. Ive caught more GooDoo with an old black spinner bait than anything else.
I had an awesome night's fishing aroiund the banks of Mullwala with some surface "buzz baits" the cod were going off, much to the surprise of my fishing companion who will remain nameless just to say he is a fishing legend in the Riverina region. He told to chuck my "buzz baits" over board. He soon changed his mind after I landed four cod over 900mm!

The old "bardi grub" cheese moulds work well too, easy to make and easy to keep,,,,,,

Bob
19th October 2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah must make up some "Bardi Grub" moulds ready for the Cod opening.
Have found spraying with CRC helps.

Also looking forward to the opening of the High Country (Melbourne Cup Weekend) for some great Trout Fishing

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 10:47 AM
hmmmmmmm, flicking a fly or three,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its been way too long me thinks!

geez I miss my fly fishing,,,,,,

threedogs
19th October 2012, 11:01 AM
Mates went fishing up Eildon instead of the Murray Whilst I was in Hospital, 8 trout, one yella belly 12lbs. all on Tassie Devils and from boat.
Nothing for the land fishos.
To Sam697, small fish do count at the end of the day, however Carp or NON FISH will not be excepted in final count.
BigFella Cod over 900mm gotta be happy with that. what the best eating size, I think 650 min is at upper level any bigger ???

Bob
19th October 2012, 11:15 AM
hmmmmmmm, flicking a fly or three,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its been way too long me thinks!

Not a Fly Fisherman.
Just walk upstream in the Mountain Stream flicking a Worm (or whatever) on a Hook with perhaps a Split Shot amongst the Boulders & Rocks and let it wash downstream.
Bloody cold walking in the Mountain streams but great to get back to Camp with a Bag of Fish and get warm around the Camp Fire.
Nothing like a freshly caught Trout cooked in a Pan over the Fire.

Might have a go at Fly Fishing one day

Dont like eating Trout in Restaurants

threedogs
19th October 2012, 11:21 AM
Bumped for pics,
Also great if the river is down, you can find so much stuff left behind by others,
Like ABs craptastic 2000, I have the mighty "Cod Master 2000" the blue one, the other I found at "low tide" even has can holder
I either take heaps depending on time of year or just small box with hooks and sinkers

Bob great little river the back way to Craigs Hut worth looking at, don't think its the Howqua

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 11:58 AM
Mates went fishing up Eildon instead of the Murray Whilst I was in Hospital, 8 trout, one yella belly 12lbs. all on Tassie Devils and from boat.
Nothing for the land fishos.
To Sam697, small fish do count at the end of the day, however Carp or NON FISH will not be excepted in final count.
BigFella Cod over 900mm gotta be happy with that. what the best eating size, I think 650 min is at upper level any bigger ???

Cant help you there TD, we release everything we catch! If I want a feed I'll catch some yabbies or fresh water crays (in season) or visit the co-op,,,,,,,,,,,,

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 11:59 AM
Not a Fly Fisherman.
Just walk upstream in the Mountain Stream flicking a Worm (or whatever) on a Hook with perhaps a Split Shot amongst the Boulders & Rocks and let it wash downstream.
Bloody cold walking in the Mountain streams but great to get back to Camp with a Bag of Fish and get warm around the Camp Fire.
Nothing like a freshly caught Trout cooked in a Pan over the Fire.

Might have a go at Fly Fishing one day

Dont like eating Trout in Restaurants

he he he, I'm no "fly fishman" I just like the slow stroll in knee deep water chucking or flicking some flies in there general direction,,,,,,,,

sam697
19th October 2012, 02:56 PM

Damn, you mean I can't count my Crap, I mean Carp lol
You are right, they don't count in the final tally UNLESS you are trying to brag to non fisher type people. You know the ones...... easily impressed over stuff they know nothing about lmao

threedogs
19th October 2012, 03:24 PM
Was going to count this but fairs fairs. was a tad under done,

sam697
19th October 2012, 03:30 PM
Hahahaha that's bigger than the last 2 redfin I caught !!!! Cute little buggers they were too. Gave em a cuddle before I sent them back to grow big and strong :)

threedogs
19th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Was going to live bait it but the hook was too big, caught it and some shrimp in one of those square bait traps.
velvet soap and gum leaves ,works a treat for shrimp
Hope you know you just broke the law. You're not supposed to put redfin back, same rules as carp

sam697
19th October 2012, 04:09 PM
Was going to live bait it but the hook was too big, caught it and some shrimp in one of those square bait traps.
velvet soap and gum leaves ,works a treat for shrimp
Hope you know you just broke the law. You're not supposed to put redfin back, same rules as carp

Yeah I know but they taste sooooo good when they get bigger :) Promise I won't do it again :P
What is this 'velvet soap' you speak of?????

threedogs
19th October 2012, 04:18 PM
Shrimp love velvet soap for some reason, when you first get to camp instead of the cat food just throw the soap and some green leaves in the bait trap.
X 2 on the reddies one of the better eating fish and very underrated. as the weather is warming up better get a brag thread going but think Mego has it already

Salt or fresh doesn't matter just good fish stories.

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 04:25 PM
I love a fish tail. And a fish tale.

Jack taps here...........

sam697
19th October 2012, 04:28 PM
I think that pic should be pinned at the top of the brag thread ! Very appropriate. I'm always up for a good fishing trip brag and pics. You should come fish the Wimmera sometime. Guaranteed to catch some crap, redfin and possibly a yellow belly :) Pulled a baby catfish out last week too :thumbup:

threedogs
19th October 2012, 04:39 PM
There's always the one about the one armed man who caught a fish this long, you'll have to visualise this one then laugh, one armed man this long, anyone getting it sheeesh tough crowd

sam697
19th October 2012, 04:45 PM
There's always the one about the one armed man who caught a fish this long, you'll have to visualise this one then laugh, one armed man this long, anyone getting it sheeesh tough crowd

Bahahaha huge !!!!

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 05:32 PM
It's how big. Show me again, I missed it.

Yeeleh, my car won't start. Woop woop woop woop.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 06:01 PM
What do you mean car won't start ????

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 06:55 PM
What do you mean car won't start ????

Have you seen it yet

Random YouTube finds thread.

Bro, My car won't start.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:11 PM
Nah I'm technically impaired on all things with pooters

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 07:16 PM
http://youtu.be/ptNcDPmv0nk

Bro, My car won't start.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:37 PM
Look like sheep not my style sorry

The BigFella
19th October 2012, 09:34 PM
http://youtu.be/ptNcDPmv0nk

Bro, My car won't start.

Hey thats actually quite well done. Funny as,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now I cant get the tune out of my head though, thanks a lot!

threedogs
19th October 2012, 10:30 PM
You really think a Cod will know the difference between a Bardi shaped cheese grub and just a piece of cheese, I say who caught who with the Bardi moulds

MEGOMONSTER
19th October 2012, 11:07 PM
You really think a Cod will know the difference between a Bardi shaped cheese grub and just a piece of cheese, I say who caught who with the Bardi moulds

I think your right on the money, even a real bardi dead defrosted looks nothing like a bardi but still gets eaten. Even cheese whether you slice chips, chunks, or pieces resembling bardis will get eaten. I like using a scrubby/cheese combo.

Bro, My car won't start.

oncedisturbed
19th October 2012, 11:55 PM
C4, hand grenade, dynamite or .22 with scope usually works well.

I usually drink more tinnies than throw the line in so am probably the worst person to ask lolol

Tap, Tap Taparoo

sam697
20th October 2012, 01:48 AM
C4, hand grenade, dynamite or .22 with scope usually works well.

Lol, yep that'll work !!!!

threedogs
20th October 2012, 06:39 AM
Even heard "Fishermans Friends and Black jelly beans work on Trout.
C4 really, And you go rabbiting with a 303 too

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 07:17 AM
I have heard of blokes packing rock lime into soft drink cans and throwing it over board, wait a couple of seconds for the water to enter the can and Kaboom! Floating fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
20th October 2012, 08:02 AM
Far out I'm on a forum with EX POACHERS lol

growler2058
20th October 2012, 08:06 AM
Since everyone's o nice around here I thought I try a not-so-Patrol question.

I'll head off with my GQ pretty soon and think I'll pay the mighty Murray a visit before heading over to Fraser Island. And with all that water around I'd like to give fishing a try. But what gear do I really need?? What fish will I encounter and what bait / lure do I need? Should I store the rod in a PVC pipe on the roof rack?

Sorry to bother you with all the beginner questions...

Hooks ya need hooks hahahahahahahhaa

threedogs
20th October 2012, 08:11 AM
Yes but Growler those square hooks work a treat too, not that I know somebody told me ,. Evil laugh lol

growler2058
20th October 2012, 08:15 AM
Even heard "Fishermans Friends and Black jelly beans work on Trout.
C4 really, And you go rabbiting with a 303 too

Have done using the ol 3 oh , but was more entertaining using a 12g and BB's

growler2058
20th October 2012, 08:18 AM
Hey threeD check the end of this show pig man does prarie dogs

threedogs
20th October 2012, 08:42 AM
PM sent some great footage thats for sure not 100% sure its for everyone.

The BigFella
20th October 2012, 09:01 AM
Hey threeD check the end of this show pig man does prarie dogs

sounds like s secret cult type with secret hand shakes and all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Flo-w
20th October 2012, 08:28 PM
Now I see what happens if I don't keep my threads under control. Everyone's having a ball!

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated. Bugger I'd be at the Murray before the cod season starts. But then the missus wants to head up to Fraser quickly anyway. More saltwater fishing then.

I reckon I'll just get an el cheapo rod and reel combo, a box of sinkers, hooks and float thingies and then I'll try to get some baite locally.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 09:36 PM
Thats all you need plus how to tie a blood knot, just use running sinker set up. easiest to use. 8ft rod little bit of guts to it. alls good.
I'll post some pics and other info tomorrow
but you're on the right track K I S

sam697
20th October 2012, 11:14 PM
Now I see what happens if I don't keep my threads under control. Everyone's having a ball!

Lol, while the cat is away.........
but seriously, check out K-mart. By far the cheapest I have found for not too bad equipment. As previously stated, Jervis Walker rod and reel combo for $12 but you can get an 8' rod for $25 and reel for similar there.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 11:20 PM
My wife worked at Kmart, all my rods are from there, can't fault them caught and lost some big fish with them.
My father has some jarvis walker rods which I had recoed and sent straight to the pool room, solid fibreglass jobs from 60s and 70s

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 10:55 AM
Or you can be stupid like me and have rods for lake fishing, rods for river fishing, rods for trolling, rods for whiting, rods for snapper, rods for squid, general purpose rods(rarely used), rods for beach fishing. 213382133921340
Do I use them all, NO
Do I need them all, NO
Do I want them all, YES
I guess what I'm trying to say is I waste too much money on fishing.
The most important thing to remember is "to just go wet a line, who cares what you catch or with what. The thrill of the wait and anticipation of the bite is what gets me going, that and the JD cans and my inbuilt pacemaker/defibrillator.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

sam697
21st October 2012, 10:59 AM
Do I use them all, NO
Do I need them all, NO
Do I want them all, YES
I guess what I'm trying to say is I waste too much money on fishing.
The most important thing to remember is "to just go wet a line, who cares what you catch or with what. The thrill of the wait and anticipation of the bite is what gets me going.

Bahahahahahahaha you sound so much like us !!!! You should come fish the Wimmera some time too :)

threedogs
21st October 2012, 11:20 AM
Mego My BFF who will remain nameless is opposite to you he has found a way of using one rod only for all fishing'
gotta tell you his tackle hasn't changed either, go for trout same gear, go for cod same gear, go for Barra same gear.
really have to have a looong talk with the boy one day

2TROLLFAM
21st October 2012, 02:46 PM
Mego My BFF who will remain nameless is opposite to you he has found a way of using one rod only for all fishing'
gotta tell you his tackle hasn't changed either, go for trout same gear, go for cod same gear, go for Barra same gear.
really have to have a looong talk with the boy one day

Sheez I'm a seriously girly girl & even I have 9 or 10 rods and that much tackle ill never use it in a million years BUT like Megomonster I have them cuz I can LOL
I seriously don't use them
I definately don't need them BUT
Hell Yeah I want them because I'm useless at fishing but love doing it anyways ....

Could sit all day with a rod in the water, not catch a thing & still have had a good day

Sent from Sharen's iPhone using Tapatalk ....

The BigFella
21st October 2012, 04:11 PM
that there is the real reason most of us fisho's go fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
aint for the fish, but rather the fishing!

some of my best memories are of teaching the kids to be patient, to watch and feel the bite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

threedogs
21st October 2012, 04:14 PM
If it was called catching everyone would be doing it.
Takes a certain type of person to fish

Drew
21st October 2012, 04:21 PM

I'm with ya there big fella:)

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 04:30 PM
I took my non fishing brother fishing for cod at Mulwala and we trolled all morning for no fish. My brother kept saying where's the fish,let's go somewhere else, mind you this is almost mid day and we were in the water at 5am, so I said to him "just be patient". I know the fish are here cos I've got plenty here, so it's not the spot. I said its not the lures cos I've caught plenty on them, so I said just hold your rod makes it more interesting especially if you get on. Once again he said this a shit spot lets go and BANG lure got smashed and nearly lost the rod pulling straight out if his hands, after a little fight he got his first Murray Cod. Now he comes with me to cod classic every year now. But his still a once year fisherman but boy he loves it now.

threedogs
21st October 2012, 04:31 PM
Drew Cod opening soon coming Bearii just nth of Shep

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 05:30 PM
I am all for species closures for spawning season like the Murray cod but to close the Murray to ALL forms of fishing from Yarrawonga to Tocumwal is just shit house. My mother loves to eat carp and river is full of carp, I'm doing them a favour fishing for them. So why let the nuisance fish spawn as well.

threedogs
21st October 2012, 07:48 PM
Not sure I'm up to trying Carp, heard some swear by it, but mate its carp,
I've also heard the smell is just under skin, but its Carp. enough garlic I'd eat a Turd but carp ,, not so much

MEGOMONSTER
21st October 2012, 10:49 PM
Like I said my mum eats carp so I always bring some home for her. I kill two birds one stone. Eradicate carp, feed mum with fish. Plus I like teaching kids to fish catching carp and educating them.

Timmo
23rd October 2012, 12:13 AM
i 7 rods and they cover a variety of species from small Barramundi to Medium Barra to Big Barra lol

MEGOMONSTER
24th October 2012, 11:21 PM
My Missus just sent me this pic. What a beauty.
93cm flathead. Not sure where it was caught but bloody hell.

threedogs
24th October 2012, 11:25 PM
That can't be a bay rat, I'm thinking Hawkesbury NSW, thats a Horse of a flatty ,one of those huge Duskies

Cuppa
28th October 2012, 09:06 PM
As a kid growing up in the land of the Pom I would occasionally go fishing with mates, but it could almost be guaranteed I'd be the first to get my line tangled in the nearest tree or bush.

Never did any fishing for many years until we took off around Oz for 18 months a few years back. Although finding that most people who catch a feed on a regular basis fish from boats I managed to get us enough feeds to provide me with the reinforcement needed to keep trying.

Best eating fish I caught were both in WA. One solitary King George Whiting on the south coast. Mmmm. And up north of Broome off the reef around the James Price Point coastline where over a several week period I regularly went fishing with a senior law man of the Goolarabooloo we caught plenty of Bluebone. He used only a hand line, me a rod. He always caught way more than me. Up there I learned about 'minimalist fishing' - carrying minimal gear & finding bait at the place where fishing (usually hermit crabs).

My favourite fishing story - wasn't me fishing, but a young boy, maybe 7 or 8, camped next to Spring Creek, at the turn off to the Bungle Bungle, again in northern WA. The lad was so intent & focused on catching a fish that he eventually succeeded when his chances looked impossible. He had a short length of line he had found with a tiny hook on the end & no bait. You could see the fish in the clear water, no idea what sort they were, but they were very small, only a bit larger than minnows. This enterprising young lad caught ants & painstakingly threaded a couple on his hook. Took him about an hour & several re-baitings, but the look on his & his mother's face when he finally caught one was just magical.

There are trout & blackfish in the creeks around where we live. The trout are fairly easy to catch. They hide in holes waiting for food to pass by. Dunk the bait (garden worms) in front of the hole & ....bang! Trout hooked. The hard part is getting to the holes through dense undergrowth infested with red bellied blacks & tigers. Last time I went out I got to 7 holes & came home with 7 pan sized trout.

Cuppa

threedogs
28th October 2012, 09:16 PM
X 2 on the KGW, You can have the snakes too.
Always found up north be it east or west all you need is a shiney hook.
loved Malcom Douglas docos and fishing tips

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2012, 06:11 AM
The squid jig is a must in tackle boxes but when catching them you have a dilemma. Keep it and cook it or fish bait.
I also go 50/50. Fresh squid is one of the best best baits you can use for almost every species if saltwater fish.
Remember fresh is best.
Here's a photos of my mates son yesterday morning at Queenscliff Vic.

threedogs
29th October 2012, 06:51 AM
Nice one again Mego, keep the hoods and freeze the tentacles for bait later.

As for fishing during closed season, we still go during Cod closure,
But just for the opportunity to go camping and sit by the Murray.
Always drop a line in, but not fussed if we catch anything or not.

Do they closed that section yarra to Toc to all fishing? bit harsh

growler2058
29th October 2012, 07:03 AM
Mmmmmmm dried squid on the charcoal BBQ

Sent via my tapping thumbs

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2012, 09:27 AM
Nice one again Mego, keep the hoods and freeze the tentacles for bait later.

As for fishing during closed season, we still go during Cod closure,
But just for the opportunity to go camping and sit by the Murray.
Always drop a line in, but not fussed if we catch anything or not.

Do they closed that section yarra to Toc to all fishing? bit harsh

Yep, new sign on the entrance gate, CLOSED TO ALL FORMS OF FISHING,
Doesn't matter really, just means I do more pre fish on Mulwala.

threedogs
29th October 2012, 02:46 PM
Would like to call it home work for the Classic. I'll check with mate
and see if he's going to Bruces bend beach this cup weekend.??

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2012, 04:53 PM
We're on the bottom track, is the top track the one your talking about

threedogs
29th October 2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah must be,, most call it Bruces beach,, when its actually Bruces bend beach. Last cup mate pulled out a ridiculas amount of carp.
Basically a waste of bait, . He's not going this year. might get something worth teathering, who said that??

Flo-w
3rd November 2012, 01:12 PM
In the end I was too late for the Aldi rod and reel combo. I now bought a Jarvis Walker Expedition Telescopic 8'. Has a 12lb line on the reel. Packs down nice and small (75cm) and was only $29.

If anyone wants "free" sunglasses or a watch let me know and I PM the proof of purchase code. I said "free" because it's 9.95 shipping.
I have a watch and I wear glasses so no use for sunnies. ;)

threedogs
3rd November 2012, 06:13 PM
good one those telescopic rods can be great, especially if walking along the bank in thick brush12lb line..ok for now ,I'll show you braid when we go fishing at end of month

We just need bait

janderson
3rd November 2012, 07:17 PM
For Bait the locals up here (on the Murray) use mozzarella cheese, works well.

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 05:01 PM
Murray and fraser are totally different fishing types. On fraser you can do beach fishing so you'd want a longer rod. I also had a long distance casting set up to punch big lures off the rocks.

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 05:03 PM
Beach fishing really needs 2 rods. A light one for whiting, etc. A heavier setup for salmon, tailor, maybe jew.