PDA

View Full Version : Dawes boost vale

drew79
18th October 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi all, I'm about to install my Dawes boost controller but before I do I want to know if I have to have a boost gauge and neddle valve to do it or can I just put Dawes in to controll boost as I have been having limp mode issues after blocking erg.
Cheers.

threedogs
18th October 2012, 06:40 PM
before you do anything ,install the gauges either pillar pod or otherwise then you
can see what changes all your mods are making, gauges first, highly recommend

How were you going to monitor boost and adjust without boost guage

MEGOMONSTER
18th October 2012, 10:18 PM
Always gauges first, that way you can monitor and adjust accordingly.

Jack taps here...........

drew79
18th October 2012, 11:00 PM
Yeah thought that might be the case. Thanks

tecdiverdude
19th October 2012, 07:26 AM
As they said, Install guages first, then Dawes.
WRT the needle valve, that depends on a few things.
1. What model is it? earlier ZD30DDTIs had terrible boost control, so its best to take all of thataway from the computer, so you will need the needle valve and adjust spool up accordingly.
2. later models did much better, so you can leave the vacuum turbo control in and just fit the dawes valve as a safety net.
3. you can set up dual dawes and needle valves and a switch so you have 2 pre programmed settings, I.e. highway towing and around town

Rumcajs
20th October 2012, 04:24 PM
If you have an access to one of these (see pics) than you can set Dawes on the bench before fitting.
Works like a charm.
Cheers

threedogs
20th October 2012, 04:55 PM
See where you're coming from with that , great tool for the workshop for dianostics, over boost etc.
not sure in real world travelling round Aust. need to monitor whats going on all the time when driving
not back at workshop. don't take this the wrong way . Wish I had one before fitting NADs though.

How much that set you back $$$$$ ???

Rumcajs
20th October 2012, 05:23 PM
I don't argue that one doesn't need boost gauge but if desperate especially when shimming E*R and having luck with "limp mode" its better to fit Dawes this way than not at all.
Priced around $300 AUD it is not really tool for keeping it in the shed for once a year use. I have the use for it so why not and it is trivially easier than keep stopping every few kays adjusting Dawes on the side of the road.
Cheers