PDA

View Full Version : Trailing/Control Arms

89GQ
8th November 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm doing my diff swap from drum to disk, I'v bought some HDuty Lower Control arms and they are 10mm longer,Its a standard height coil suspension, Have I anything to worry about putting these longer lower arms in?Will it just tilt the diff forward a little? Can I still use the original upper control arms? Hope i'm stressing about nothing! Any help appreciated. Cheers.

YNOT
8th November 2010, 05:51 PM
You can try fitting the longer control arms with standard suspension (it's only 4 bolts!) and upper control arms. Go for a drive with them in and see if it has developed any vibrations at any speed or under acceleration. If it does vibrate you will need to either refit original length arms or fit a suspension lift.
You are correct, it will just tilt the diff forward a little with the longer control arms in, but that tilt changes your driveshaft angle and that's where the vibrations come from.

Tony

89GQ
8th November 2010, 07:37 PM
Cheers Tony, Yeh ya right its not alot to swap them over if it vibrates,The other option i thought of was adjustable uppers to push the diff back up if ya know what i mean. but then the big bucks come into it.And wouldnt it push the whole diff back? Cheers. Jeff

YNOT
8th November 2010, 07:44 PM
Adjustable uppers would push the diff back (when used in conjunction with extended lowers), so spend the money on a 2 inch lift instead.

Tony

89GQ
8th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry ime not that up on lifts but would 50mm coil spacers do the job,and still keep original shocks panhard rod etc. Thanks
. Jeff

YNOT
8th November 2010, 09:17 PM
Coil spacers would do the job, but I would only consider that a temporary fix. keep an eye on the various 4WD forums for second hand springs, you can pick them up very cheap.
If your factory original shocks have any more than 100,000km on them then they're not doing you any favors, so I would be looking to replace them soon regardless if you do a lift or not. They should be OK with a 2 inch lift but again it's only a temporary fix.
Brake lines, panhards etc can all be left standard with a 2 inch lift.

Tony

89GQ
9th November 2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks,Got new shocks bushes etc. all round, So will keep an eye out for springs,Thanks for ya help. Cheers Jeff