PDA

View Full Version : GQ bonnet scoop

Neesmo31
8th November 2010, 02:17 PM
Hey all wanting to put a 'reverse' bonnet scoop on my GQ to pull hot air out around the turbo not force air in. I have seen alot of 'air in' bonnet scoops but not ones that drag air out - would anyone have some pics of info on how they have done theirs?

Thanks all.

AB
10th November 2010, 09:48 PM
Not much response and guessing not many people have done it here mate.

I can say I did this on my old xf which had a 351 short block Cleveland in it and along with thermo fans it made a huge difference. Especially at the lights it ran extremely hot but after putting in the reverse scoop along with the thermos it held the temp very well on hot days.

Never done it in a GQ though.

Woof
10th November 2010, 11:13 PM
I think that I posted something about this sort of thing somewhere before but can't remember where, why not try raising the hinge part by adding about a 5mm spacer on the bolts that hold the hinges onto the bonnet, that will create a sort of straight though air flow.
Got this info from one of the members of the WPC (RobsGQ) and he swears by it.
I have 2 bonnet scoops on mine and have no over heating issues, so have not tried this mod.

MudRunnerTD
28th November 2010, 02:12 AM
Yep, pack the back hinges on the bonnet and lift it up will sort out your problem.

I have read that a reverse scoop may have implications for Road worthy as they allow the vision to be impaired should you have an oil line break of any description.

sweet_gq
30th November 2010, 09:05 AM
Have done both, used to lift the hinges and remove the rear rubber seal above the firewall in summer to help.

Have now put two reverse bonnet vents in to remove the heat - much better than the hinge option - much much better. Fun playing with the angle grinder as well.

I mounted mine at the back of the bonnet, one above the extractors and the other same settup near the battery. Find you don't get the ridicolous heat buildup with aircon on a hot day in traffic.

That said, only jsut starting to get into summer so will ahve to see. Got the vents off ebay for about $40. Will try and get some photos up shortly.

B

Alooke
6th December 2010, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure they will ping you with a yellow sticker for the modified hinges. Something about in a frontal impact the bonnet can be forced up into the windscreen easily.. Or something along those lines... (makes sense)

I had a turbo XF falcon and I used two GU patrol scoops fitted reverse. Over heating stopped and it looked good from the front as they are fairly low line design..

My 2 cents worth.

~Allan~

Neesmo31
6th December 2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah cheers guys, i will hav a look at this more closely when i can walk around. Will try a few things and see how they react with the temps.

PissantPatrol
18th December 2010, 05:16 PM
Problem with lifting the rear of the bonnet or reverse air scoops is that, at lower speeds anyway, all that hot air from the engine bay is heading straight into your air vents. Reverse scoops won't suck air in under about 60kmh, I believe, so probably not much good unless your driving is mostly at highway speeds (with or without the highway). Perhaps you could paint your bonnet matt black instead.;)

MQ MAD
22nd December 2010, 05:46 PM
They tried reverse scoops on aussie motor racing moons ago (XC /Torana era)
They were banned due to as mentioned above,
Any excess oil/whatever blows straght to the windscreen
There are height restrictions regarding bonnet scoops as well

What about heat bandage for the pipe work,or ceramic coating the pipes ???
Thatll help with excess engine bay heat

Neesmo31
24th January 2011, 08:16 AM
Hey just an update, put a GU scoop on in reverse, and put a sonic performance turbo beany on. That has significantly helped the engine bay temps. GU scoop looks the part too. Almost factory looking...

Woof
24th January 2011, 04:33 PM
Hey just an update, put a GU scoop on in reverse, and put a sonic performance turbo beany on. That has significantly helped the engine bay temps. GU scoop looks the part too. Almost factory looking...

Great news mate, if you can throw some photos of it up for us to see it.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Neesmo31
18th August 2011, 11:27 AM
This is a very old photo, alot has changed since then but the scoop remains the same :)

bigfduck
18th November 2011, 09:26 PM
does the reverse scoop actually help, if I also lift the bonnet by 5?

webmast3r
20th November 2011, 10:26 AM

hey mate, any chance of getting some pics up? I'm currently building my GQ and am keen to see how the reverse scoop looks

webmast3r
20th November 2011, 10:32 AM
hey mate, any chance of getting some pics up? I'm currently building my GQ and am keen to see how the reverse scoop looks

thats wierd that pic only showed up after iposted what the

jimmyjam
20th November 2011, 12:23 PM
What about gills out the side roughly above the side indicators? No oil spill worries. depending on how much you have under your bonnet.
Exhaust wraps/ ceramic coatings work a treat! Haven't done the patrol, but it works for rally cars.

Stumpjumper
20th November 2011, 01:53 PM
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Undertrays-Spoilers-Bonnet-Vents-Part-1/A_2159/article.html

This article has some great info re bonnet scoops, easy to read too.
Can putting a scoop on actually make the cooling system less efficient?

AB
19th February 2012, 09:29 PM
This is a very old photo, alot has changed since then but the scoop remains the same :)

Dragging up an old thread but I was talking with someone last night about doing this and they swear by it.

DX grunt
19th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Dragging up an old thread but I was talking with someone last night about doing this and they swear by it.

Will turning the bonnet around work? lol

AB
19th February 2012, 09:33 PM
Will turning the bonnet around work? lol

Or Homer Simpsons speed holes...lol

Neesmo31
6th March 2012, 03:31 PM
Also helps crap stay out of the engine bay.

spektrum
25th May 2012, 02:10 PM
I personally don't think the reverse scoop (or shimming the hinges) is a good idea. I find that it increases the engine fumes coming in via the interior fan inlet directly behind the bonnet.

MEGOMONSTER
25th May 2012, 04:40 PM
I have a guy at work with a massive reverse scoop and looks really tuff. He said he put it on four years ago and had no noticable difference

AB
4th May 2015, 07:33 PM
Thread dig ;)

Are there any members running reverse scoops to give any feedback?

Winnie
4th May 2015, 08:00 PM
Reverse scoop? Like the big reverse cowl bonnets on the old muscle cars?

AB
4th May 2015, 08:12 PM
Reverse scoop? Like the big reverse cowl bonnets on the old muscle cars? or reverse GU scoops or any reverse scoop first hand experience really.

Winnie
4th May 2015, 08:21 PM
or reverse GU scoops or any reverse scoop first hand experience really.

Hmm, that would look a bit funny?

AB
4th May 2015, 08:27 PM
Hmm, that would look a bit funny? go back to page one mate.

threedogs
5th May 2015, 02:35 PM
not convinced a reverse GU scoop would be of any benefit,
maybe after you turn it off with convection, bit old school
dont see them around the traps so maybe they dont work.
Some good reading in the link a few pages back though.

@ AB is this about the 6.5 with the twin fans

I was having big heat block problems with my 350 chev 4x4
I tried everything ended up being a faulty gauge go figure lol

MudRunnerTD
21st June 2015, 11:32 PM
Drove past a new XR8 the other day travelling the same way as me on the FWY. The bonnet caught my eye after I was past it, I thought immediately of this thread and a couple of others.
The new FG XR8 has a Rear facing Bonnet Scoop built into the bonnet hump.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/322.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/323.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/06/324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!