PDA

View Full Version : Pinging under load

rusty59
8th November 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi All
I have a 4.8 petrol and it started pinging under load and a bit hesitant on initial throttle opening after my last fill.It idles okay and revs okay when in nuetral but seems to be running rich and has lost power when pulling up hills . I have heard that valves need adjusting or something similar at regular intervals and i t has done 100,000 km but it just started after my last fill so any suggestions before I lighten my wallet looking in the wrong direction will help

Maxhead
8th November 2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure how the 4.8 is setup with ignition but I had a similar problem with my Disco a while back and it was the vacuum advance diaphragm problem.
Is your ignition timing adjusted correctly?

YNOT
8th November 2010, 06:56 PM
If it only started after you filled with fuel, either get rid of that fuel or use it up as quick as possible. Fill up somewhere else (pay a bit extra and get something like Shell Optimax that has the best chance of being quality fuel) and see how that goes before you start throwing money at a problem that may just be a crook load of fuel.

Tony

Bloggsy
8th November 2010, 07:18 PM
Mine started doing that a few weeks ago, but I can't remember if it was after fueling up, could well have been though. However, it hasn't been doing it in the last week since re-fueling. So Tony maybe on the money there.

Cheers,
Darren

rusty59
8th November 2010, 11:10 PM
Hi All
Thanks for the replies. I filled up at my usual place but you never know also I don't think we have much ethanol here but who can you trust . I will change my fuel filter anyway and let you know how that goes

Cheers Russell

rusty59
9th November 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Again
Just went to servo to fill up another car and their unleaded pumps were closed so I asked the question as to why my car runs poorly and guess what,the tanker had put diesel in the unleaded tank and now the servo has to wait for them to empty the tank before they can sell again.They are paying for my fuel filter and suggested that I fill the tank with premium and continue driving the fuel through before I change the filter. The other option is to drain my tank which is bout 1/2 full[60 liters] So is it all right to keep topping up the tank until the diesel is diluted fully. Just to be clear the fuel I put in before was not straight diesel but their diluted mixture so my car does run and I don't blame the servo at all unless they re neg on paying for my filter ha ha

Cheers Russell

YNOT
9th November 2010, 02:49 PM
Best thing to do is drain the tank and refill with clean fuel and new fuel filter, but as it seems like a fairly small amount of diesel in your tank, you could just keep diluting it and driving it through. Your car, your choice.

Tony