PDA

View Full Version : Recently purchased a DX

ova50
17th October 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi guys, recently purchased a 2010 DX 3 litre auto.
Have only clocked up about 150ks since I got it. Plan to give it a run up the coast soon.
Mainly want to see what sort of economy it gets. Being an old p*ick and now retired I have to watch my pennies ;)
Also in the final stages of preparation to hook up our van and start traveling..:Yahoo!:
My wife also drives but is only 5ft tall and can only just see over the bonnet.
As it has no seat height adjustment am wondering what the solution would be besides getting a taller wife.
Was thinking of a booster cushion or if there is a legal way of making the drivers seat about 1" higher.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
Daryl

megatexture
17th October 2012, 06:57 PM
yea ive been wondering the same thing myself as my wife is also a short ass but im leaning towards just chocking it up on blocks and longer high tensile bolts, i know it wouldnt be legal but i wouldnt have a problem with that.

ova50
17th October 2012, 07:07 PM
I was going to say she was a "short arse" but I think its her legs that are the short part.
It seems a simple mod to raise the seat, but my concern is, if in the event of an accident I would say that a mod like that would most likely cause a issue with insurance, particularly if injured. Would be hard pressed trying to de-mod it while they are taking me away in an ambulance.
Daryl

megatexture
17th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Yea it definitely would if the person in the raised seat was injured but i don’t think they would likely inspect it in any other case as it wouldn’t cause an accident.
i know others have swapped seats from other vehicles, but I’m unaware if the seats used had a height adjustment on them , from what I’ve read some are a simple swap and they may be able to advise if doing so is legal or if doing so can be certified
you could using the search bar I’m sure something will pop up mate if that’s the path you wish to take

ova50
17th October 2012, 07:28 PM
Did do a search and came across nothing about it.
Im about 6'1, and I would prefer the seat a bit higher, dont feel like spending money on height adjustable seats.
Currently have my grand daughters booster seat in the back, suggested to my wife she could use that.
Answer was: Ummm, I dont think I would be allowed to say on the forum what she said (lol)
Seriously, it is a bit of a dilema.

megatexture
17th October 2012, 07:35 PM
is it the standard driving or parking what’s the actual problem, I’ve got a camera mounted on the snorkel and pointing to the left hand side of the car as my wife can’t see the bull bar unless she leans forward and its shown on a screen for when she’s parking maybe something like that may help ?

megatexture
17th October 2012, 07:40 PM
get the seat (bottom only) upholstered and get them to put 1" of padding on top first?

ova50
17th October 2012, 08:04 PM
Just driving in general, says she will more than likely get used to it, but we have had Pajeros for about 12 years and one does sit quite high in those.
Quite a difference in seating height. Im still getting used to it, partiularly with the slight convex mirrors, and I used to drive heavy vehicles.
Will be interested to see if anyone else has a suggestion though.

Morton
17th October 2012, 10:29 PM
I put a solid type cushion under the seat cover, did the trick & was easy to fit/remove as required

tecdiverdude
19th October 2012, 07:30 AM
im a short arse andhad to use a pillow under the seat cover of my old subaru leone

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:58 AM
I've lifted the drivers seat about 30mm. can see no reason why doing what I've done would make it UN SAFE.
It's the belt that holds you in place not the seat. I'll grab a pic later and post it here. Far better vision as well.
I'm 6' as well, not 183 cm, so yes old school, old fart but 6'.
My driver seat is a Stratos. Could get the wooden bead taxi seat thingy.

tecdiverdude
19th October 2012, 09:48 AM
Either way, if you do modify it and are concerned about insurance or legalities, take it to an engineer and get it certified after mods, then send a copy to your motor registry and insurance agency. "duty of disclosure"

threedogs
19th October 2012, 12:38 PM
This is all I did to mine, had some spare laser cut 10mm spacers lying around.
so lifted the seat off the rails by 30mm, better vision as well IMO

my third 256
19th October 2012, 05:08 PM
my st-l has hight adjustment came standard
wife is 5foot 2 inches and fully up problem solved
maybe call the wreckers and see if they have any ps they will be leather

ova50
19th October 2012, 06:52 PM
I've lifted the drivers seat about 30mm. can see no reason why doing what I've done would make it UN SAFE.
It's the belt that holds you in place not the seat. I'll grab a pic later and post it here. Far better vision as well.
I'm 6' as well, not 183 cm, so yes old school, old fart but 6'.
My driver seat is a Stratos. Could get the wooden bead taxi seat thingy.

A pic would be welcomed. , Im what is referred to as "un-metricated", 6' is also easier to type than 103 (wrong), 083 (wrong), 183 cm. See what I mean.
Thanks for the Pics Threedogs, much appreciated. Quite a simple mod and it doesnt look like an add on.
Thanks
Daryl

ova50
19th October 2012, 07:20 PM
my st-l has hight adjustment came standard
wife is 5foot 2 inches and fully up problem solved
maybe call the wreckers and see if they have any ps they will be leather

I had considered looking at trying to get a Height adjustable seat, Decide to take the Patrol for a run up the F3 today, (was surprised by how it went)
On the return run the wife drove, says she thinks she will used to the seating position.
I asked the question as you guys on the forum seem well versed on you vehicles and mods, now I know that I, or should say the wife isnt the only one who has this problem.
Even considering some of the real sheep skin seat covers that may give more lift.
Thanks
Daryl

choppie
21st October 2012, 11:19 AM
Real Sheep skin covers are well worth the money, have set in mine and had throw over lambskin in the truck took it out regularly and
threw in wash machine,no prob's, wouldn't be without them now